1980 Short Course Bronco

Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

1980 Short Course Bronco

Post by Joxracing »

I’m having a blast getting back into the forum stuff, so I figured I would post about our last/current build.

Two good friends of mine who’ve been helping with our race program since we started in high school purchased this 1980 Bronco in the Fall of 2017. The Bronco had last raced in 2016 in the “Classix” class or Class 6. This class is made up of 2wd Broncos, blazers, Monte Carlos, etc. Rules are very loose, allowing big blocks, bypasses, etc. The class has been plagued with low numbers the passed few years but is a super entertaining class to watch and the vehicles that race it are pretty wild (Big Block El Camino with bypasses sticking through the hood taking corner one at Crandon wild)
They picked the roller chassis up for a song and began the partner build in my garage. The Bronco needed a ton of work, so we started cutting.
This is the Bronco in its last race. The truck was pretty competitive, taking some podiums through the years
Jonny and Joey the night we pushed it into the garage
The back half of the cage was terrible. Actually the whole cage and chassis was pretty awful, but we decided to only cut the front and rear off and leave the main cage. We cut the structure out of the center of the cage and added the “star” tubes you see here.
ImageImage
Reconstructed back half just being finished up
Mocking up the bypasses
We cut the front off, started mocking up front engine cage tubes. Peep the dope door bars from the original builder. We decided if we kept cutting to re-do things we’d be down to a bare frame. We did decide to cut the floor on the passenger side out to make headers fit easier / open it up for more working room.
Race car grey to cover up the ugly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

1980 Short Course Bronco

Post by Joxracing »

Here’s the “finished up” back half tabbed up for tin and coolers

Since these photos were taken, the full containment seat was mounted, along with gauges, belts, steering, brakes were plumbed, tin was finished and front shock mounts / front engine cage was finished up. All the bypasses were rebuilt and the power plant needed the heads bolted back on ( 351w, roller cam, aluminum heads, etc)
Fortunately/unfortunately Joey bought a Super Stock in the spring of 2018 (if you peep
my other thread you can keep up with that) and Jonny never had the time or money to finish it. They had tried to sell it a few times and the 606 Bronco had been sitting around until now! Jonny is going to finish it up this winter and race it in the 2020 season of Championship Off Road!
I’ll keep you guys updated on what’s to come. The Bronco will run a 79 steel body, fiberglass bedsides and will more than likely be running a c6. I’ll post some updated photos as soon as they get it into the shop and get going on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pickuptrucker
Bronco Info: 1982 c6, 9" gears, lockers,

Re: 1980 Short Course Bronco

Post by Pickuptrucker »

Sweet looking forward to seeing more