Opinion wanted...1450 or tt

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Opinion wanted...1450 or tt

Post by Rmc »

Ok guys so I'm looking for you guys 2cents on my 10 year project turned dust collector. I'm burned out on the final leg of the build due to many aspects of the build in hindsight I would change. So here's my thought, sell the cab n frame build a full tube chassis trophy truck. At the time I started the build I had big dreams of racing 1450 and soon realized especially when the (economy went to hell & kids came along) that was a tall order. We all know it takes big money to be competitive, that being said why not build a trophy truck out of what I have. Basically 2k and I'd be exactly where I'm at now. I want u guys to tell me if there's a reason to finish this pile that I had not thought of or was unaware of.

So what's left to do: plumbing, gauges,wiring,swaybar, drive shafts, have trans modified and rebuilt.

What's in it now:
Pro-am hubs, currie housing, 40 spline 300m axels, c&d fabworks knuckles,wilwood 4 pistons all the way around, pwr radiator w/integrated oil cooler,pwr trans cooler, beard seats,302 w/roush 200 heads roller motor, power pullies, e303 cam,full length headers,Holley 650 double pumper, 2person Parker pumper, 2.5x16 fox c/o, 3.0 3bypass in the rear, walker wheels, 2.5 front snouts, big bastards in the rear I can't remember.

What to build? A arm tt, or beam tt? I have all the junk and know how to do beams I've done over 20 combos between rangers, f150's ect. I love a challenge and that's why I'm thinking a arm.i realize there's a lot of added cost in an a arm build. What do you guys suggest? Keep in mind no one has ever seen this truck in its current condition besides a few friends so go easy on me please.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (231.19 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Re: Opinion wanted...1450 or tt

Post by Rmc »

More pics sry for the poor lighting my ballast decided to fail as I was taking pics. Also I know the engine needs to be revisited and final assembly done if I stick with the 302. My plan for the tt idea is a 351 flat top piston roller motor, built by a friend using what's compatible between a 302 and 351w. Also I have to fab the remaining exhaust system.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (172.27 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (156.18 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

More pics...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (169.6 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (171.7 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I stole the tires for the bronco.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (163.59 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Id think youre set for 1450 and would be competitive.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

And yes,yes I know there's a lot wrong... The tierods are too low, and need to be remade. The trailing arms in the rear suck. Just realize I wish I know then what I know now... Also it's been stretched to 121 inch wheel base, track width is 94 inches up front and 93 in the rear. I got a smoking deal on the axel shafts and hubs so I had to base the dementions on what I had to start from. The fuel safe is 33 gal, too small for anything but a 4 banger.
hobbyturnedobsession

What do you figure for mileage? What do you plan on racing?
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Also it's a fuel injection cam so that block assy would go into the bronco when I get that bug done and can start my bronco build up. Originally it was for mdr but there long gone, I don't roll with an entourage or score money that's why I said tt. Leave racing to racers.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:What do you figure for mileage? What do you plan on racing?
Well 5.13 gears and a c6, with a 302, not real shure about that combo I'm thinking ran hard I'm looking at 6mpg. Was thinking of racing anything that wouldn't break the bank with entry fees.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (171.16 KiB) Viewed 3702 times
hobbyturnedobsession

More may be a good start
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

One thing to keep in mind, everytime I look at it I think I'm 5 grand away, I know it depends a lot on what parts u run that's kinda why I'm pretty versed in mfg's of parts but I'm not a motor guy,electrical guy( cars anyway). I thought of junkyard ing the rest to make it go but I think I bit off too much at this point. There's very few junkyard parts I could run. I thought of selling all but the hubs, trading it, and parting it out ect. There's a gigantic loss here anyway you slice it. And no I haven't got in fun out of it what I have into it so?
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:More may be a good start
I agree, that or those Lucas regional races every once in a while. I even thought of tough truck cause they have decent purses I've heard. What would you do in my shoes?
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Id think youre set for 1450 and would be competitive.
I guess I'm just looking at it from the parts used angle. I shurely couldn't afford a season, possibly one race a year at best and if something broke I'd be done till I could afford the parts. The trophy truck idea is purely cause I enjoy fab work, I would never race it.
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

I say finish it. Enough to take it out at least. Race it however often you can afford. If you get rid of it and build a TT you'll be in the same position in 10 years.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Kel Fab Creations wrote:I say finish it. Enough to take it out at least. Race it however often you can afford. If you get rid of it and build a TT you'll be in the same position in 10 years.
Your probably right. The changes the truck needs aren't that major just a pain.whats funny is 2.5 a 3.0 was top of the line when I started this thing. Pre blackhawk, pre King Kong ect.
gunit

Post by gunit »

Please don't take this the wrong way.

You have done really nice work and have come a long way. What have created will be competitive in 1450.

On the other hand, almost nothing you have here can be used to build a front running Trophy Truck. You are miles away with the components you have. If you want to have a tube frame truck and use most of what you have then you should consider Super8, 7200 or one of the other similar classes.

I have been working with a top TT team that has built their truck from scratch to be competitive and have seen what is involved to race TT at the top level.

Here is a short list of what you must have component wise:

1. Must be A arm design
2. Must go big with shocks, 4" minimum with coolers
3. No stock block can be built into something competitive, all of the top trucks are using all aluminum small blocks of at least 430" with dry sump producing over 800 hp and spinning 8000 rpm
4. Most trucks have 70 to 100 gallon fuel cells. TT racing is so tight that you cannot afford to get out of sequence by making more stops for fuel
5. Transmissions are the weakest link in most TT's, it is possible to use a C6 but there is a reason why 95% of the trucks use a hand built T400. A blown Trans takes you out of contention even if you can swap in a spare and finish.
6. Almost all of the to teams now run a under drive on the Trans, this adds another big chunk to the cost.
7. All of the top trucks are running at least 39" tires, this combined with 800hp means that a 9" and 40 spline axles are unsuitable. A minimum 10" ring gear and huge axles are needed.

The list can go on and on and we have not even discussed the cost of fielding a competitive team.
The team I was with spent over $40k to race the 500 last weekend not counting any of the prep. Most teams spend a lot more.

Trophy truck racing is expensive and all consuming. There are few that are racing in TT with less than I have described but they have zero chance of winning and are ridiculed as "rolling chicanes"

Decide what you can spend to go racing and pick a class that fits your budget. My advice is to finish your truck and race it 1450.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

It would be cool to back a tt out of your garage though lol. Squatted low as hell.... Daydreaming.
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

Rmc wrote:It would be cool to back a tt out of your garage though lol. Squatted low as hell.... Daydreaming.
LMAO!
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

gunit wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way.

You have done really nice work and have come a long way. What have created will be competitive in 1450.

On the other hand, almost nothing you have here can be used to build a front running Trophy Truck. You are miles away with the components you have. If you want to have a tube frame truck and use most of what you have then you should consider Super8, 7200 or one of the other similar classes.

I have been working with a top TT team that has built their truck from scratch to be competitive and have seen what is involved to race TT at the top level.

Here is a short list of what you must have component wise:

1. Must be A arm design
2. Must go big with shocks, 4" minimum with coolers
3. No stock block can be built into something competitive, all of the top trucks are using all aluminum small blocks of at least 430" with dry sump producing over 800 hp and spinning 8000 rpm
4. Most trucks have 70 to 100 gallon fuel cells. TT racing is so tight that you cannot afford to get out of sequence by making more stops for fuel
5. Transmissions are the weakest link in most TT's, it is possible to use a C6 but there is a reason why 95% of the trucks use a hand built T400. A blown Trans takes you out of contention even if you can swap in a spare and finish.
6. Almost all of the to teams now run a under drive on the Trans, this adds another big chunk to the cost.
7. All of the top trucks are running at least 39" tires, this combined with 800hp means that a 9" and 40 spline axles are unsuitable. A minimum 10" ring gear and huge axles are needed.

The list can go on and on and we have not even discussed the cost of fielding a competitive team.
The team I was with spent over $40k to race the 500 last weekend not counting any of the prep. Most teams spend a lot more.

Trophy truck racing is expensive and all consuming. There are few that are racing in TT with less than I have described but they have zero chance of winning and are ridiculed as "rolling chicanes"

Decide what you can spend to go racing and pick a class that fits your budget. My advice is to finish your truck and race it 1450.

I understand there's a shit ton of money in their world of racing, no I agree unless I win the lotto I could never begin to race a tt, the tt would be a toy car for me not racing. As far as 1450 I highly doubt I could ever afford to be competitive in that class either. Mainly the hubs and axel, rear shocks and all the engine goodies would be the parts I'm referring to using for building the proposed monstrosity. It would be a fake tt as far as the big money parts ( engine/trans ect). But could still hold its own in the dirt. To clarify I suppose I should say tt chassis average joe power train, not intended for use in competition in its class.