Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

baja-chris

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by baja-chris »

I'd like to add that we had a blast at the RECORD race. We want to run more of these low cost Baja races. CODE and RECORD. They do not have a class 3 but we can run in class 8 and have all the competition we can handle. These races are a fraction of the cost of SCORE and just as much fun but without the BS. Lower stress because not as much on the line in terms of costs. Sure, it's not the big show and there is still nothing to compare to a Baja 1000 but it's real baja racing, you can chase and spectate where you want and the race tracks are mostly the same as SCORE uses. Entry fee for this one was $350 + $150 insurance. $500 vs. $2610 for the Baja 500. 190 miles instead of 470. We finished the race about 1:30pm and by 2pm we were neck deep in the Sea of Cortez sipping cold Tecates. Great weekend. If we do not destroy our truck in the Baja 1000 (given our record this seems likely, ha!) then we will probably do the Mexicali to San Felipe CODE race end of November just for fun. We need to get some of those outlaw class 3 trucks to come join the fun. Could do some side bets to make our own class 3 within class 8. I know there are MORE and VORRA etc. but for us, It's better in Baja. Team has more fun down there.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I have loved Code going back to when Josh and Big Jim ran the Blue F150. These organizations remind me of the FUD races years ago. Racing in the US has lost it's soul to the BLM and the Insurance agencies.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Looking good here.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Nice
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Neat photo. You can see our new grande rear brake rotors filling the 17's. Same size up front but harder to see. Was a bit easier on the leg last race.
Seems like we finally have the leaf springs and leaf spring bushings dialed in thanks to help from National Spring.
Wrightracing.net

Hey Chris, Are you racing Vegas to Reno?
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Wrightracing.net wrote:Hey Chris, Are you racing Vegas to Reno?
No not this year. We are prepping it now for the 1000. We will have it ready for the Sept SCORE race but do not plan to enter that one unless Moss does. I hope we both skip it.
As it sits now, we are 5 points behind Moss and the only way for us to win a title is to win the 1000. So that is our focus now. The truck has never run more than about 200 miles without issues.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Just saw your bronco in the BFG commercial during the Mint 400 coverage in Red Bull signature series show. Looks great and stands out!!!
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I was just going to say the same thing Andy. I saw it on the commercial too.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

We have not yet started our 1000 prep so we are going to race it this weekend at the Ultra4 (KOH) race at Glen Helen.
We have to race in the unlimited class so the best we can hope for is to make the main event.
So far 110 entries and only 40 make the main event. I'm told it will be televised.
Sounds like a lot of fun but we will be outgunned for sure.
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Sounds like fun and Ultra 4 puts on a good race. Best of luck getting into the Main.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

What's the scoop on the Glenn Helen race, that sounds like fun......
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Here's the page for it. You can click on some of the links below it for more details.
Supposed to be televised and have live web media streaming.
If it's promoted anything like KOH was, it will be a big show.

http://ultra4racing.com/category/2014-4 ... d-prix-ca/
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I would think your Bronco would have an advantage on a short course style track? Lower CG and non hydraulic steering.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Well we were hoping to uncover any more weaknesses in the car before the full teardown prep. I'd have to say that in that light the event was a success and our car a failure. We broke a front axle in practice. Did not bother to qualify. So we would start last in our heat race. The axle sheared off at the splines at the hub, drivers side. Glen drove the spare up from El Cajon at 10:30pm and I installed it race morning. Scott started Heat 2 in last place but quickly moved up through some of the cars ahead of him. On lap 2, he lost 4wd. Drivers side axle snapped, this time at the splines at the diff. Pressed on in 2wd which was more to Scott's liking as it would now rotate the way he wanted. We got the call that he had moved up enough to qualify for the main event. Pretty cool. Then the drivers corner tore off. Exact same failure as we had at the 2013 Baja 1000. Looks like the upper ball joint cup tore out of the d44 ttb housing, then pulled the lower ball joint apart. Hey, at least our new tie rod held up. Back to the drawing board on that area of the truck. Sure glad we broke it at Glen Helen instead of at race mile 50 of the Baja 1000. Suspect we had brittle metal from the welds. But also think this design is just not strong enough for 37's at the pace it can run. Still thinking about how we want to fix and improve it. One thing we will do as part of the prep is have all our welded parts sent to a heat treater to be normalized. But beyond that, we might change the design also. Possibly graft on d50 outers or maybe fab up a uniball front instead of ball joints. Maybe also upgrade to D60 hubs and snouts to get bigger snouts and bearings.
Attachments
photo1.jpg
photo1.jpg (125.9 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
Wrightracing.net

Hey Chris,
I have had the thought in my head for awhile and it may not be practical, but what about fabricating a TTB housing from scratch with 4130? Use all Dana 60 or stronger stuff. I am surprised Noone has made a new stamped or fabricated and extended version in 4130 . Also already done with the corrected ballpoint positions for a lift along with axle clearances.

Maybe a machined housing on cnc machinery.

Make it to work with a 9' 3rd member?

You could make some for sale.

I know it's a long shot, but I'm just thinking out loud.
retroblazer

Post by retroblazer »

I'm sure a straight axle will fit perfect. The Black Bronco folks may be of help.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

retroblazer wrote:I'm sure a straight axle will fit perfect. The Black Bronco folks may be of help.
You bet, I know where there are a bunch of 78/79 frames to pop under there. Should be able to do it in a weekend..
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Hmmm,
Put in KOH quality D60 solid axle for that application and then switch to the TTB for the SCORE races.

Not a lot of the kind of problems Chris has had when one has a tough solid D60 race setup.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Even the rock donkey guys were breaking the inner C's on there d60 strait axles at that race. Must have been a combination of landing in a corner with the breaks on that did bad things to them.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general- ... er-cs.html