Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Re: Glen Strightiff/Chris Wilson C3 build

Post by yikes »

baja-chris wrote:The lack of entries in class 3 in SCORE is a real bummer. When we started this project class 3 was pulling more entries than class 8.
Keep the faith Chris! You guys will likely spawn new interest when guys see what can be accomplished.
Ford 4 US
Bronco Info: 96 and 79 (79 is a basket case right now)

Post by Ford 4 US »

Super cool !!!

If I ever get my 79 done..... And win the lotto

Class 3 it is for me.... But class 8 tugs at me every day
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

yikes wrote:
baja-chris wrote:The lack of entries in class 3 in SCORE is a real bummer. When we started this project class 3 was pulling more entries than class 8.
Keep the faith Chris! You guys will likely spawn new interest when guys see what can be accomplished.

Step it up Brian. Throw a fuel cell in that bad boy and get on it!!
HOONracing
Bronco Info: 1991 built for SCORE class 3 racing

Post by HOONracing »

Chris glad to see it coming back together. Hopefully the delrin bushings work in the leafs. We are having the same issue with poly bushings in our leafs. Every race so far we've destroyed them. We are running delrin bushings on the shackles where they mount to the hanger and they seem to hold up pretty well. Keep me posted on what you figure out with the bushings.

I wish I could race with you guys in score but the prices are just to much. At $2000 entry free versus the Snore races at $450 entry. It's a huge difference. We are a low budget team, every race we do is on a strict budget. We plan on doing 3 more of the Snore races this year and in 2015 we plan on doing 1 or 2 Score races. Can't wait to race against you guys and the Moss Brothers. Sure hope to see more class 3's racing.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

The IV250 was a rough course. We used the racecar for the prerun with the new Delron bushings.
Dave and Glen in the car. At race mile 15 a rear axle shaft broke. Decided to use 4wd and see if we could finish.
At the start of the 2nd lap the other rear axle shaft broke. No way to get around this course in front wheel drive.
No spares, drove it to the trailer, DNF.

The Delron bushings look to have held up great. The leafs and rest of suspension worked great.
And they really put the 4wd through a beating trying to get around the track with one rear wheel not pushing.
So I think the 4wd issues are behind us as well as our bushing issues.

The rear end was one of the first items I bought when we started the build.
At that time we were thinking 300hp and 35" tires. So I specified 40 spline Hi-Tuff axles instead of 300M.
We ended up with 37" tires and 535hp. Time to have some 300M axles built.
Probably also time to get a new complete 3rd member and retire the one we have for a spare.
We run 4.88 gears on a spool with the Daytona big pinion bearing but just a 9" ring gear.
Might look into a 9.5" or 10" ring gear setup, but I think I might be in for sticker shock and stay with the 9".
Next up is the Baja 500 (we are skipping NORRA). I hope there are more that just two trucks in class 3 the the 500.
HOONracing

Post by HOONracing »

Sorry about the bad luck Chris. It kinda blows me away that you broke both rear axles. That's crazy, but glad to hear you have the front figured out and that the delrin bushings held up. So are the 300M axles that much stronger then a regular 40 spline? I'm doing research right now to see what rearend I need. I'm running 35" tires with 400hp on the race truck. I'm pretty sure 40 spline is the way to go but now Ive been thinking about doing 40 spline 300M just to be safe.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

baja-chris wrote:The IV250 was a rough course. We used the racecar for the prerun with the new Delron bushings.
Dave and Glen in the car. At race mile 15 a rear axle shaft broke. Decided to use 4wd and see if we could finish.
At the start of the 2nd lap the other rear axle shaft broke. No way to get around this course in front wheel drive.
No spares, drove it to the trailer, DNF.

The Delron bushings look to have held up great. The leafs and rest of suspension worked great.
And they really put the 4wd through a beating trying to get around the track with one rear wheel not pushing.
So I think the 4wd issues are behind us as well as our bushing issues.

The rear end was one of the first items I bought when we started the build.
At that time we were thinking 300hp and 35" tires. So I specified 40 spline Hi-Tuff axles instead of 300M.
We ended up with 37" tires and 535hp. Time to have some 300M axles built.
Probably also time to get a new complete 3rd member and retire the one we have for a spare.
We run 4.88 gears on a spool with the Daytona big pinion bearing but just a 9" ring gear.
Might look into a 9.5" or 10" ring gear setup, but I think I might be in for sticker shock and stay with the 9".
Next up is the Baja 500 (we are skipping NORRA). I hope there are more that just two trucks in class 3 the the 500.

Sucks to hear Chris... we were at the highway when you pulled over to figure out what was going on on the first lap! Bronco looked downrigth sexy, even with some battle scars.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

After tear down, the axles are NOT broken. We stripped the splines out of both drive plates. They are steel. They must not have been correctly heat treated.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I have that strange 40 spline spooled case currie built for me a while back, it's just collecting dust in the garage and has never been used, let me know if your interested in it. It has 5.12's
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

baja-chris wrote:After tear down, the axles are NOT broken. We stripped the splines out of both drive plates. They are steel. They must not have been correctly heat treated.
Pass a bar through the housing, I had the same issue with the housing previous to my current dust collector, tore up many drive plates. Turned out to be the housing was bent just enough the tear up the spool and drive plate splines.
HOONracing

Post by HOONracing »

baja-chris wrote:After tear down, the axles are NOT broken. We stripped the splines out of both drive plates. They are steel. They must not have been correctly heat treated.
Well that's good news! Your running camburg hubs right? Hopefully it's not a problem with them, I have only heard good things about camburgs rearend.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

tcm glx wrote: Bronco looked downrigth sexy, even with some battle scars.
Agreed!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/NLyF9CjTnr0[/youtube]
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Rmc wrote:I have that strange 40 spline spooled case currie built for me a while back, it's just collecting dust in the garage and has never been used, let me know if your interested in it. It has 5.12's
Clarification: currie 9+ modular case, strange 40 spline spool, 5.12 strange gear set. Still has the yellow paint on the gears. All parts are new.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

We are upgrading our Camburg snouts and hubs from the 2.25" snout to the Camburg 2.5" snout with the wide bearing spread hubs.
Got the old snouts out of the housing yesterday and narrowed the housing to allow for the longer, wider snouts/hubs to keep track width same.
Used the mill with a 3/4" bit to bore out the rosette welds and used the horizontal band saw to cut off the housing/snout at new width.
The cut-off snouts came out with a bar and hammer. Should get the housing and new snouts out the guy that aligns and welds those in today.

We also ordered a new 3rd member with 9.5" ring gear with big pinion, Mark Williams spool, big bearing case, etc. Will retire the one we have as the spare.
Getting ready for the Baja 500. Replacing some heims and uniballs, etc.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Since we have to remount the caliper anyway, also going from 12" rotors to 14" rotors. More leverage. Already running 14" brakes up front.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Big brakes! What kind of rotors are you using?
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Coleman Racing, find them on line. Lowest prices I've found.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

How did you guys do at the race this weekend?? Pretty good frontal picture here.

http://www.race-dezert.com/home/golden- ... 88351.html
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Just a walk in the park!!!!!!
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1403560768113.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1403560768113.jpg (119.86 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Race went good, new tie rod design good. Race run in two stages Norra style. I did first stage Ojos to Valle t. Via tres hermanos up big wash past silt up long rocky hill climb to Alamo the back to highway on same old score track whoops and pine trees. Cross highway and then some new stuff up by mtns then south past Nuevo jct and down goat trail. 85 miles to time control and I did it in 1:47 which is 48.5mph. Very fast, I was fastest class 8. Started 13th overall. Handed off to Glen and they lined him up 7th overall for stage 2. But Glens stage was all desert whoops and the big trucks ate him up. 8 truck side swiped him on a pass and munched our new fender and cut open front tire. Hard hit to the steering, tie rod fine. Happened right in front of us so we stopped on side of highway and Tony ran over to change flat for them. Issues with spare hold down so slow stop. Finished 2nd in class 8.