Dent Side Racing TORC team. *Hillbilly fun & some work*

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Name to be determined... Race team. Formula 4x4 & Enduro

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yes heat & bend. You want to set the truck at ride height & bend beams until caster is 0* at ride height. A good way to do it is to set the thing at ride height & then cut a piece of plate or tube to wedge between the frame & beam. Put a ratchet strap from the beam up around the engine cage. Heat the beam & pull the beam end up using the ratchet strap. Do this til the angle finder says 0* when placed on the face of the rotor where the wheel mounts. Leave the ratchet strap tight while the beams cool NATURALLY ( don't quench them). Then plate the beams with chromo sheet.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

Post by Joxracing »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Yes heat & bend. You want to set the truck at ride height & bend beams until caster is 0* at ride height.

This would consist of dropping it on all four tires, with no assistance from the hoist?
A good way to do it is to set the thing at ride height & then cut a piece of plate or tube to wedge between the frame & beam.

Whats the plate for?

Put a ratchet strap from the beam up around the engine cage.

No engine cage, but we'll find something

Heat the beam & pull the beam end up using the ratchet strap. Do this til the angle finder says 0* when placed on the face of the rotor where the wheel mounts. Leave the ratchet strap tight while the beams cool NATURALLY ( don't quench them). Then plate the beams with chromo sheet.

Thanks for going through this with me, it seems like I just kind of get TTB down, and move to this 2wd set up.

Mind you that we do not have the shocks that we'll be using yet, and we are working with stock radius arms (because the rules say so)
...and are using bigger coils...
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Forgive me for being lazy but my answers will be short as I've type ALL of this before within those links I sent you & I don't feel like typing a ton.

You can set the ride height with it on the hoist.

Plate or tube goes between bottom of frame & top of beam to give bending moment when you ratchet up on beam.

It can be done without an engine cage but it takes a lot more thought. Make SURE you are pulling straight up!
Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

Post by Joxracing »

Figure I'll do the bending once we get the cage set.

120' of 1.75" .120 wall DOM will be on its way shortly!

Figured out shocks out for the front, we're gonna be running two Bilstein 5100's on each corner, 14" travel model.

Just been plugging along, gutting various body panels, and prepping for the cage...

The kids in my auto's shop have been loving the crappy jobs, if only we didnt have to struggle with the teacher sometimes...

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

What a cool project.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

SteveG wrote:What a cool project.

Wouldnt mind running some GFB stickers on this and the bronco when we're done ;)

The info on here is worth its weight in sponsor dolla's.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Not much updated. We're waiting on hauling it to a new, different garage. Slight argument with the autoshop that just frustrated me enough to yank it out and move it to a new location. i just dont get some peoples point of view, and why you would force a project that kid's have learned on, out of the shop... Needless to say, the other students were sad to see it leave.

Finger Tight Racing (FTR), in the daylight. not much to look at.

Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Got it hauled to the new location, and cut the old cage out. Cant wait for some new tubing to come in...
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

If you guys have a soul, like us on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Finger-Ti ... 5945730462
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Had a good work night on thursday. Busted the box off and had the 9" out in no time. Leafs came with it.

Here's some good pic's our team photog. took.

Sick torch shots of my buddy...

Some of the crew that showed up for the work night.

yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

This is super cool to watch!! Looks like a load of fun. Really looking forward to watching your progress. Looks like you've got a solid crew, but who's the guy with the clean jeans? Is he pullin' his weight?
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

yikes wrote:This is super cool to watch!! Looks like a load of fun. Really looking forward to watching your progress. Looks like you've got a solid crew, but who's the guy with the clean jeans? Is he pullin' his weight?
We have a very solid crew, and that's only a few. Brandon is new to the whole car&truck thing, he's learning though.

Next stop is bracing the rear frame and putting new shackles, etc... Plus wiring wheeling and painting it. DOM is getting ordered tmrw. Woo!
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

I feel like I should give some credit to the crew. From left to right on that last picture is jack Ziegler, Brandon doof, Cale popps, Joey Knight, Myself Sam Jacques, Ian bell, and walker lakenen. Trevor LaCombe was behind the lens, snapping all the pic's. He'll be our team photog. Ha.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Need your opinion guys... Found this killer deal on a prebent speed way cage, but it's .104 wall HREW, not the.120 wall DOM.

so should I order120ft of 120wall dom, or this prebent cage that's made from HREW that'll save a. Ton of time..?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Re: FTR TORC team. *cage questions*

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Just some questions to ask yourself & some more info we need before we can give a good answer...

What diameter is the tube? Is the HREW 1010, 1018 or maybe (doubtfully) 1020? How much will the truck weigh in full race attire? What speeds do you plan to be running at? How much time/$ will really be saved? Will you be happy with the fit of the prebent cage? The ones I've seen definitely would NOT work for what I'd want.

While the .104 isn't a ton thinner than .120 a lot can depend on material as well diameter of the tube, bend locations, etc.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Just some questions to ask yourself & some more info we need before we can give a good answer...

What diameter is the tube? Is the HREW 1010, 1018 or maybe (doubtfully) 1020? How much will the truck weigh in full race attire? What speeds do you plan to be running at? How much time/$ will really be saved? Will you be happy with the fit of the prebent cage? The ones I've seen definitely would NOT work for what I'd want.

While the .104 isn't a ton thinner than .120 a lot can depend on material as well diameter of the tube, bend locations, etc.

all great questions, but we settled against it after asking ourselves this. Plus, you cant get around how that size tubing is illegal for the class. We're just gonna order tubing, and do it ourselves.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

This was a link to the cage in question.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Truck-Str ... ,3468.html
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Not the way I'd do the cage (looks like an NHRA style cage), but with the material being 1020 and the amount of tubing you seem to get it doesn't look like a bad deal.

Still, if the weight of the truck requires a 2" tube for the class/series to plan to run in this cage won't work for you.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Pretty sure it's an NHRA cage, but what don't you like about the design?

And we need 1 3/4" .120wall DOM
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Jungle gym style door structure, the fact that the cross tubes, etc. don't meet at the bends of the main structure, the ways the engine cage tubes don't start at the dash bar level ot hit at the a pillar bends as well, and then the fact that this thing, being a universal cage will probably end up being about 4-6" away from the body. I like to tuck my cages tight so as to keep them out of the way. No pre-bent "kit" ever seems to do this.

As for size - now I get that it is a material requirement you need - not the size. Do note that the speedway cage is 1020 though = same material as the DOM. DOM's just got the welded seam "removed" for lack of a better term.