Dent Side Racing TORC team. *Hillbilly fun & some work*

Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

Re: FTR TORC team. *cage questions*

Post by Joxracing »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Jungle gym style door structure, the fact that the cross tubes, etc. don't meet at the bends of the main structure, the ways the engine cage tubes don't start at the dash bar level ot hit at the a pillar bends as well, and then the fact that this thing, being a universal cage will probably end up being about 4-6" away from the body. I like to tuck my cages tight so as to keep them out of the way. No pre-bent "kit" ever seems to do this.

As for size - now I get that it is a material requirement you need - not the size. Do note that the speedway cage is 1020 though = same material as the DOM. DOM's just got the welded seam "removed" for lack of a better term.
Okay, just curious. Making note of this when we design our cage. just ordered the DOM, it'll be here on Wednesday. (fingers crossed)
Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

Post by Joxracing »

Got the back half of the frame cleaned up tonight, and came up with two sad conclusions; Pretty sure we're gonna need to pull the cab off and make new body mounts. They are shot and would not even make a shake down run.
2; We have 5 MONTHS to build & basically restore a 1972 F-100. *Sigh* We need to kick it in the ass.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Did some work on 'er tonight.

Got the dash gutted, new crossmembers cut, cleaned rear of frame up, and got templates made for boxing the frame.

Here's a few pic's from tonight.

Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Booyah. Busted the cab off tonight and started to clean the frame.

Crappy cell phone pic's, our cameraman must have had the night off tonight.

Joxracing

Re: FTR TORC team. BIG changes.

Post by Joxracing »

As much as this sucks to say, we've decided to change gears, and choose a new base truck than the 72.

Calm you're jets, we're just bumping up to the later 70's style, and a switch to shortbox wheelbase.

The reasons:
We're doing this to save time (even though its steps backwards) because of how rusted beyond repair the cab is, and a large lack of parts for early 70's trucks. We currently have a few leads on new rig's, hopefully we have one secured by friday, thats my goal. We're gonna need all hands on deck to have the new rig tore down by sunday. Crunch time.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

What year truck are you switching to?
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

the beloved 76-79 style. Not a huge change, but opens up way more room, since we have a ton of parts.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Good move! I like the 73-79 better than the 67-72 so no complaints here! And I'm sure you know this already but MANY of the parts will swap back & forth between the 2 so if you have suspension stuff, etc. you want to keep off the bumpside - it'll work on the dent.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Good move! I like the 73-79 better than the 67-72 so no complaints here! And I'm sure you know this already but MANY of the parts will swap back & forth between the 2 so if you have suspension stuff, etc. you want to keep off the bumpside - it'll work on the dent.

We're just gonna pull the engine/tranny and the beams(for spares) and scrap everything but the box.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Got the truss kit in today...

Hopefully the new truck will be in tmrw, fingers crossed.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Got the new base rig today...

A little toasty...

Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Tear Down.

Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Finished stripping the truck, starting the cage this weekend. I cant wait to get this damned cage in. Its been way to long.

Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Put some good fab hours in this weekend, pic's to come soon.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Some pictures of our progress... Should be bending the down tubes for the cage this week, then we can really haul on the cage. Then the next big thing to tackle is suspension.

Our first bend, the standard test bend (me holding)

Proud of the crew, we figured that bender out pretty quick with no real guidance.

Our head math guy Trevor, figuring out the bends.
Fit like a glove.

Clearing cab for cage.

Sandwich plating weak spots in the rear frame, and adding crossmembers.

9" Is trussed.

Front subrame/out rigger

Any problems you guys spot so far?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Re: FTR TORC team.

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Nice you're making some progress. Puts me to shame - that is for sure.

1 question on the 9" truss though. Was it all welded at one time - free hanging on the jack stands like shown in the pic? If so you might want to have it checked to see if it is still square. That is - if you can find someone to do it out there. Currie does that here but it would cost a ton to ship them the rear to do it.

A good way to test at home/tell is stick a STRAIGHT tube through the thing - end to end. Use the biggest dia. that will fit & see if the housing banana-ed.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Nice you're making some progress. Puts me to shame - that is for sure.

1 question on the 9" truss though. Was it all welded at one time - free hanging on the jack stands like shown in the pic? If so you might want to have it checked to see if it is still square. That is - if you can find someone to do it out there. Currie does that here but it would cost a ton to ship them the rear to do it.

A good way to test at home/tell is stick a STRAIGHT tube through the thing - end to end. Use the biggest dia. that will fit & see if the housing banana-ed.
Good point, it crossed my mind. We alternated sides, and didnt weld it all at the same time, plus i dont think that little welder would get it hot enough to distort it, but I'll check it because im paranoid now.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

That is just a lot of weld bead on 1 side of an object for it not to pull at least a little bit...
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Got down tubes bent &

The race bronco made it home today! Here's some pics...

It needs a lot of TLC and elbow grease, thats for sure.
Joxracing

Post by Joxracing »

Bronco is de-skinned and the motor came out for a once over, with seals etc...

Crossmembers are fully welded on the stock truck, time to start notching and tacking the cage in.

For you west coast kid's, it was a wonderful 50* today with a slight drizzle, perfect fab weather...