MOSS BROTHERS 79 BRONCO CLASS 3 RACER

Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Re: MOSS BROTHERS 79 BRONCO CLASS 3 RACER

Post by 300 »

Looking at the current Speedway Motors circle track catalog, the price varies from $13 to $75 a piece for the Moog #772 equivalent ball joint that looks just like what they use in the video. It originally fit a Chrysler application and is widely used or adapted to circle track (CT) upper control arms. The Moog #727 is the lower control arm equivalent and has a larger stud, about the same price. The high end ball joints have replaceable studs that also come in different lengths for adjusting suspension geometry. Looks like the replacement studs are $20 to $30 each and are often bent in CT car crashes or contact. My experience is they are at least as sturdy as the off the shelf ball joints and should be more than adequate used as steering joints. The only thing I saw in the CT only stuff was that they often didn't have great bearing arrangements or greasing and might become sloppy from wear earlier than a good ball joint would. CT stuff just does not travel the numbers of miles that we do. You don't see CT ball joints in off road control arms because they have limited angle range, something to keep in mind when using for steering, but not a problem if used correctly.
cdnbronco
Bronco Info: 1978 bronco, 3 link front, 4 link rear, fully caged, 460 engine, custom fiberglass,

Post by cdnbronco »

Don, in regards to the steering box on the Bronco, have you done anything special to it?
On my Bronco I seem to have steering catch. I’m wondering if I have internal leaks in the valve or if it’s my quickner that slows the steering? I know that you have a quickner to. Did you feel that you needed more effort to drive the steering?
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Lots of good words about the Moss Bros in this thread. Many of us already know it, but it's good to see some well earned recognition from others.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showth ... e-Summit!!
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

...ever notice that there is this one old Ford Tuck that saves the day?
You can be anywhere and when the stuff gets sticky, there is this one old Ford truck...

Dust
In the Wind
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

[quote="Dust"]...ever notice that there is this one old Ford Tuck that saves the day?
You can be anywhere and when the stuff gets sticky, there is this one old Ford truck...

If they got ten bucks for every racer they've pulled out over the years, they could build a trophy truck!
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

In the 2002 Baja 1000, there was a silt hole just outside Vizcaino with a broken buggy in it and a big traffic jam. I knew a way around through a ranchers yard but got stuck in the Stock Full trying to get back out to go around. When Moss Bros bronco showed up we told them if they pulled us out we would show them the way around, they did we both continued on with minimal down time. Thanks Moss!

Post by 300 »

baja-chris wrote:In the 2002 Baja 1000, there was a silt hole just outside Vizcaino with a broken buggy in it and a big traffic jam. I knew a way around through a ranchers yard but got stuck in the Stock Full trying to get back out to go around. When Moss Bros bronco showed up we told them if they pulled us out we would show them the way around, they did we both continued on with minimal down time. Thanks Moss!
I think I remember that. We would pull one buggy out, and another would drive right back into the hole. As I recall the bypass was literally right through the local ranchers yard, could have stepped right into their front door!
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

That was it, we literally drove through the front yard around the kids toys, and out the back gate to get around the log jam. I met the guy while course marking and had been to his house so that's how I knew we could get out this way.
Ford 4 US
Bronco Info: 96 and 79 (79 is a basket case right now)

Post by Ford 4 US »

Be cheering for u in the 1000
Good luck
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

baja-chris wrote:That was it, we literally drove through the front yard around the kids toys, and out the back gate to get around the log jam. I met the guy while course marking and had been to his house so that's how I knew we could get out this way.
Chris, was that in Josh's truck?

I have one of the spare National Leaf packs
from that truck before Glen linked it.

Good luck with the race.
BigCrunch
Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco Custom

Post by BigCrunch »

Newbie here, thanks for letting me in.

A couple of questions on the Moss Bronc

-any boxing added to the frame?
-rear leaf spring hangers who made them?

Post by 300 »

BigCrunch wrote:Newbie here, thanks for letting me in.

A couple of questions on the Moss Bronc

-any boxing added to the frame?
-rear leaf spring hangers who made them?
No frame boxing except where the radius arm brackets land.

The spring hangers are farmer built and get replaced on a regular basis.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Ban leaf springs!

brackets, bushings, leafs, argahh!
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Gotta love "Farmer built"! You can take the boy out of the country, but................!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I was gonna comment on the same thing. That there farmer seems to have some experience/knowledge under his belt after years of doing it
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

baja-chris wrote:Ban leaf springs!

brackets, bushings, leafs, argahh!
Ironically one of the things that slowed us the most at the 1000.... Broken Coilover.
BigCrunch

Post by BigCrunch »

Thanks for sharing, just amazing to see a late 70's Bronc be so competitive two thumbs up to the fabricators, drivers, crew, etc.
I watched a lot of your videos on youtube.

Now my gears are turning :)
BigCrunch

Post by BigCrunch »

Hey, your trans to transfer case adapter, aluminum or steel?
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

The thing about the Moss Brothers and the team are they build a great race Bronco ,but not the fastest on Race day. Consistency, Prep and smart drivers win the day in Baja. Definitely a great role model for teams coming up in racing.

Post by 300 »

BigCrunch wrote:Hey, your trans to transfer case adapter, aluminum or steel?
It's the aluminum short version. Have to notch the case and the pan and turn the CV body down to make it work. The shift linkage also has to tight against the trans. It's still a real 4wd.

Fast enough to run more than one race in a row. Truck was built to fit the existing rules instead of the other way around. Seems to be a lost art.