MOSS BROTHERS 79 BRONCO CLASS 3 RACER

Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Re: MOSS BROTHERS 79 BRONCO CLASS 3 RACER

Post by Dust »

MOSS2 wrote:
Dust wrote:The 78/9 Bronco will always be my choice for pure badassed looks!
Thank You for sharing!

Quick question, which you may have answered many times.
Why strap the front short? Class rules?

Well the reason the front is strapped is to save a long chain of modifications and testing and modification and testing.
It is currently at the limit of the front CV joint. Sure you can go find a little higher limit driveline...but another half inch and the steering binds. So you can redesign the steering with custom parts and build spares... but oops now the steering isn't matched to the track bar travel. So the track bar needs another redesign and mount which puts even more leverage on a frame area prone to problems. So now everthing is rebuilt and cycles okay in the shop... but now the track bar and steering is pretty steep angle at full droop. So if you hit any sort of holes or side hits drooped out while making a slight or not so slight left turn it bends the track bar, steering and sector shaft. Basically we would rather drive it than work on it all the time. There is a pretty fast Black Jeep out there that is limited to not much more than we are for I suspect similar reasons.
I have seen some builds claim more travel with straight axle Bronco setups but never heard of one completing San Felipe Loop with 40mph or greater average yet. Pounding them for 24hours straight will definitely find weakness that occasional sand dune romps may take years to discover. I dont know how many times we have checked out vehicles before a race that look like they should be sooo fast then race time comes and you pass them like they are towing a trailer or something. On the other hand a docile looking thing like a Hall family Hummer in a stock class with reported 9" of travel can be some work to keep up with or pass. Its still got to be tuned and driven whatever it is.

Not any travel limits currently. I think BITD had one when the class was alive there.
Thanks for the straight answer.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

MOSS2 wrote:The Moss Brothers have been campaigning the same KC HiLiTES Ford Bronco for 10 years now....
I love that! Good luck to you guys!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
mracer

Post by mracer »

Ken Nicely said. Custom is not all it cracked up to be .Don and Ken will probably have more mile on motorcycles than my new bronco will ever see. The jeep we ran in 2007 had a custom billet 4130 pan hard rod and still with 10.5 inch of travel self-destructed. Before mile 830!
Maine Racer
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

How come you guys were the only class 3 to not combine classes with jeepspeed 3700 at the
mint? 6 in class would have been way more fun and competition than 3 in each class.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

shockseals.com wrote:How come you guys were the only class 3 to not combine classes with jeepspeed 3700 at the
mint? 6 in class would have been way more fun and competition than 3 in each class.
Well it wasnt my decision to make but I guess I could ask why Jeepspeed guys didnt try and join class 3? Since I think that was a points race for them I dont think its right for them to fill out the class with vehicles built to a different set of rules. Not much to gain by joining their group except Don could have gained a fraction more of his money back it turns out. We all started within a few minutes of each other in the same race and you cant tell me they werent trying to compete against each other. I dont think it would have changed the fun factor any for me it was still fun. Turns out Jeepspeed challenge should have had all of us join them and take all our money. Anyway I dont think its a big deal and it was good to run with all that showed up. Two of the 3700 were pretty fast , maybe too fast, and they couldn't hold them together. Not many races more brutal than SF250 on a vehicle but the Mint deals out quite a pounding.

Edit- I have no idea what the payback schedule is for the Mint but I know sometimes in SCORE races first place money can actually be less by adding just one car over the point that determines how many places pay out. Just something else to think about. The payback definitely isnt the fun part or nobody would be desert racing.
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

MOSS2 wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:How come you guys were the only class 3 to not combine classes with jeepspeed 3700 at the
Well it wasnt my decision to make but I guess I could ask why Jeepspeed guys didnt try and join class 3? Since I think that was a points race for them I dont think its right for them to fill out the class with vehicles built to a different set of rules. Not much to gain by joining their group except Don could have gained a fraction more of his money back it turns out. We all started within a few minutes of each other in the same race and you cant tell me they werent trying to compete against each other. I dont think it would have changed the fun factor any for me it was still fun. Turns out Jeepspeed challenge should have had all of us join them and take all our money. Anyway I dont think its a big deal and it was good to run with all that showed up. Two of the 3700 were pretty fast , maybe too fast, and they couldn't hold them together. Not many races more brutal than SF250 on a vehicle but the Mint deals out quite a pounding.

Edit- I have no idea what the payback schedule is for the Mint but I know sometimes in SCORE races first place money can actually be less by adding just one car over the point that determines how many places pay out. Just something else to think about. The payback definitely isnt the fun part or nobody would be desert racing.
Well said Ken. Thanks to you and Don for the great weekend and congrats on a hard earned finish.
Like you said, the extra races within the race, regardless of class, definitely added to the excitement.
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
yogib

Post by yogib »

Nicely done guys.I saw you guys go by pit D with Pike in tow.Looked like you fended him off and pulled out another win.I coulda swore I saw Pike at about 10:30 or 11:00 pm pull up to the finish and go out for another lap? Thats when we finally limped the Pro-truck in with a alternator dieing and after fixxing a broken ball joint and spindle.Lots of carnage.I briefly met Don at Contingency.Keep it up.Dont want to see Heeps or Dodges beating the Broncos.
gr8brnc
Bronco Info: 96 Bronco, 535hp, lots of glass, coil overs coming soon

Post by gr8brnc »

I love the bronco you race and I saw your write up in Bronco Driver magazine! Great stuff, keep up the good work!
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

Just noticed BFG came out with a 35 years celebratory logo. I think it looks great!! BFG is the best!

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/index.jsp

Ken
Dust

Post by Dust »

Anyone have a source for the sticker version?
I need a few!
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

It took me a few minutes to figure out what the link was supposed to show.....and then I saw the sticker. That is a huge honor, congrats to the MOSS BROS. Poster child for BFG. Awesome!!!
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

78Class3 wrote:It took me a few minutes to figure out what the link was supposed to show.....and then I saw the sticker. That is a huge honor, congrats to the MOSS BROS. Poster child for BFG. Awesome!!!
I'm not seeing it...
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

From the BFG site
Attachments
2010-06-07_185050.jpg
2010-06-07_185050.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
Dust

Post by Dust »

300 wrote:From the BFG site
STILL sexy after all these years!
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

300 wrote:From the BFG site
Nice!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

That makes up for the fact my stupid baja game has the number 300 on a blazer! What were they thinking?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Jasonj105
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco, 5.8, C6

Post by Jasonj105 »

Doesn't that suck, that game has jeeps, blazers and gay little hummers, but no broncos. It's still the best Baja game out there though.
We Might As Well Give Up And Run, If We Let Them Take Our God And Guns
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

MOSS2 wrote:
Dust wrote:The 78/9 Bronco will always be my choice for pure badassed looks!
Thank You for sharing!

Quick question, which you may have answered many times.
Why strap the front short? Class rules?

Well the reason the front is strapped is to save a long chain of modifications and testing and modification and testing.
It is currently at the limit of the front CV joint. Sure you can go find a little higher limit driveline...but another half inch and the steering binds. So you can redesign the steering with custom parts and build spares... but oops now the steering isn't matched to the track bar travel. So the track bar needs another redesign and mount which puts even more leverage on a frame area prone to problems. So now everthing is rebuilt and cycles okay in the shop... but now the track bar and steering is pretty steep angle at full droop. So if you hit any sort of holes or side hits drooped out while making a slight or not so slight left turn it bends the track bar, steering and sector shaft. Basically we would rather drive it than work on it all the time. There is a pretty fast Black Jeep out there that is limited to not much more than we are for I suspect similar reasons.
I have seen some builds claim more travel with straight axle Bronco setups but never heard of one completing San Felipe Loop with 40mph or greater average yet. Pounding them for 24hours straight will definitely find weakness that occasional sand dune romps may take years to discover. I dont know how many times we have checked out vehicles before a race that look like they should be sooo fast then race time comes and you pass them like they are towing a trailer or something. On the other hand a docile looking thing like a Hall family Hummer in a stock class with reported 9" of travel can be some work to keep up with or pass. Its still got to be tuned and driven whatever it is.

Not any travel limits currently. I think BITD had one when the class was alive there.

We had the same problems racing Range Rover Classics years ago. With a very simmiler front axle design, we had to limit trav el to avoid those very issues. If we lifted it too far, the panard rod bent, the steering link bent or the panard rod chassis mount broke off. 10" of strapped travel would allow us to finish races without breaking any thing. :mrgreen:
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

We raced Todd Z's Stroppe in NORRA with 6" front travel and 7.25" rear travel and it handled great, was reliable, and fast. I've driven some EB's with double that travel and the compromises to handing and reliability would make it a challenge to race IMHO. Moss has it figured out.
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

Ford Racing shows a little love our way.http://www.fordracing.com/news/detail/i ... icle=38749

I think that is so cool. Congratulations Don and Ken and the black bronco crew.
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions