MOSS BROTHERS 79 BRONCO CLASS 3 RACER

BigCrunch
Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco Custom

Re: MOSS BROTHERS 79 BRONCO CLASS 3 RACER

Post by BigCrunch »

Your transmission (C6 ?) do you use stock clutch drums? with a few mods?
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

BigCrunch wrote:Your transmission (C6 ?) do you use stock clutch drums? with a few mods?
Yes they are stock clutch drums, modified if possible to add more plates. And yes it is a C6.
BigCrunch
Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco Custom

Post by BigCrunch »

Hi Moss Brothers, what U joint series do you run in the driveshafts? CV at transfer case?

Post by 300 »

BigCrunch wrote:Hi Moss Brothers, what U joint series do you run in the driveshafts? CV at transfer case?
we run stock u-joint sizes in all locations. Used a 1350 billet yoke at the pinion for a while but found that they would bend easily with a rock strike. You couldn't tell until the u-joints would only last a few hundred moles. There must better yokes out there but it was far easier to go back to the OEM cast yokes and the u-joint will go a season. We seldom use low range so the joints are not under near as much stress as even a mild trail rig would see.
t.r.c
Bronco Info: 79 Bronco, 545ci stroker, TTB conversion, 4.5” fabricated beams/3.5” bypasses etc, AutoFab Glass

Post by t.r.c »

First of all, I'm a huge fan, you're rig has been an inspiration for me and my Dad for both our Bronco projects.

I read that you're strapped at 14" up front, I have a similar setup on my 79' i'm building and and am moving to coilovers soon. If you don't mind sharing, how much bump travel are you running from ride height? As mine sits I have 6" up and 7" down, mine will see much less chop than yours since it will be mostly used at the dunes as apposed to Baja.

Post by 300 »

I measure 7 to 8" to the bump stop (frame!). It is strapped at considerably less than 14" but I am using 14" shocks. Any more down travel than we are using is more than the u-joints can handle and it really starts tearing up track bars and mounts.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Sorry I didn't have a chance to talk at V2R. The 73.9 MPH average our truck had was making chasing difficult to keep up!
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/

Post by 300 »

philofab wrote:Sorry I didn't have a chance to talk at V2R. The 73.9 MPH average our truck had was making chasing difficult to keep up!

No worries. There was enough chaos going on anyway, I was just enjoying the show. I did see your Dodge go by once in Tonopah, but I never did see it again. If you guys were up in the Texaco parking lot, I feel kind of silly because I fueled up there. I was only around on Friday. I helped hook the trailer up to your truck at pit 2, but did not see how the trailer got there!

For those classes that didn't get stuck, the average speeds were incredible! Your truck finished darn well, job well done by all.