Gunit's class 3 racer build

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Gunit's class 3 racer build

Post by philofab »

BDKW1 wrote:Ummmm, how you going to get that into class 3 with a 4 link in the rear?
The rear suspension can be changed to and from 4 link / leaf sprung. I'm guessing it only takes a couple of hours of work unless shock valving gets changed too.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
gunit

Post by gunit »

Where in the rules for class 3 does it say that a 4 link is not allowed? BTW this car uses a 3 link.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

gunit wrote:Where in the rules for class 3 does it say that a 4 link is not allowed? BTW this car uses a 3 link.
End of first paragraph in the suspension components section of the current rule book page 59.

"Suspension must retain original design concept ( A-arm, MacPhearson strut, Ibeam, etc.) and all primary spring systems must retain the original concept ( leaf, torsion bar, coil, etc.) that was delivered on the year chassis in use."

So unless you've got some quarter ellipticals hanging around your out for class 3 under the current rules.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Actually, if you wanted to get technical about it, coilovers aren't actually legal for the front either,

"Primary coil springs are limited to one coil per wheel and must be mounted according to stock concept."

Although, nobody seems to give a crap about that part..........
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

gunit wrote:
mkiefer wrote:Is the rear going to be coilover then????? I thought score was leaf only for broncos. ( or 1/4 ellipic)
The truck is being built so that it can be run coilover when I want.
Am I wrong about be able to change the configuration?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

It cracks me up that this project has been in the works for years in public view, yet all these questions arrive after the build is complete. Not only that, but the same questions get asked over and over and over again. I'm sure Dave is exhausted by it. He probably has a reply saved somewhere that he just copies and pastes. Go to claass3racing.com and check out the "garage queen" if you have questions. Not to take anything away from it, but there is nothing on that rig that has not been allowed by SCORE in the past, in Class 3 or Class 8. Let's let Dave enjoy this accomplishment without all of the you-can't-do-that bullshit. If you see it at the 1000 with 3XX numbers on it and disagree....call Savage.

Go Gunit Racing! Truly hope you guys have a successful 1000.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

yikes wrote:It cracks me up that this project has been in the works for years in public view, yet all these questions arrive after the build is complete. Not only that, but the same questions get asked over and over and over again. I'm sure Dave is exhausted by it. He probably has a reply saved somewhere that he just copies and pastes. Go to claass3racing.com and check out the "garage queen" if you have questions. Not to take anything away from it, but there is nothing on that rig that has not been allowed by SCORE in the past, in Class 3 or Class 8. Let's let Dave enjoy this accomplishment without all of the you-can't-do-that bullshit. If you see it at the 1000 with 3XX numbers on it and disagree....call Savage.

Go Gunit Racing! Truly hope you guys have a successful 1000.

BOOM!! Well Said! Now B, pack your damn bag and come down to the 1000 with us.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

I'm just saying, I have yet to see a Bronco with anything but leafs in the rear race SCORE. What Bill will or will not allow all depends on who you are and what kind of mood he is in that day. I.E. twin turbo V6 racing class 8.........

Just sayin, I wouldn't have built it like that unless I had prior approval from Ponytail in writing and notarized in triplicate.......... Maybe video too.........

Having been told on the phone you are good to go doesn't cut it as you can show up at the race and he will deny that he ever spoke with you and tell you your truck isn't legal. BTDT.......
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

yikes wrote:Go to claass3racing.com and check out the "garage queen" if you have questions. Not to take anything away from it, but there is nothing on that rig that has not been allowed by SCORE in the past, in Class 3 or Class 8.
Just read the thread, the question was never answered. Only got "It will be class 3 legal and it will have a 3 link"

Class 3 and class 8 have had different rules for rear suspension for the last 15 years or so. Still would like to know how this is going to get passed..........
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Can't wait to see it at the 1000! Awesome build.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Brian, I thot I read that the plan was to run the C8 Raptor TTv6 in "stock full" class? That would require putting leafs back on the Raptor in order to meet the oem design spec.
They did not have enough time to build a standard cab TTv6 so the thing will be a compromise. Maybe they will end up with rear coils and be placed in the sportsman category???
I agree there has never been a rear coil C3 Bronco racer inspite of the lobbying to make coils legal. That design is reserved for C8. Lots of urgency now that they discovered that Jeeps come stock with coils and links and they work real good in race trim (even with a solid front axle!). As far a links go there seems to be no issue as long as the springs are per the factory design. That means either quarter elipiticals or full leaf springs.
See you tomorow.
Paul
==================
BDKW1 wrote:
yikes wrote:Go to claass3racing.com and check out the "garage queen" if you have questions. Not to take anything away from it, but there is nothing on that rig that has not been allowed by SCORE in the past, in Class 3 or Class 8.
Just read the thread, the question was never answered. Only got "It will be class 3 legal and it will have a 3 link"

Class 3 and class 8 have had different rules for rear suspension for the last 15 years or so. Still would like to know how this is going to get passed..........
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Sheesh, guys! I don't think anyone is trying to rain on Dave's parade and I don't see how any of these questions are going to take away from his enjoyment of the truck. I think they're valid questions and I'm curious about it too. And no, I haven't read the C3.com thread either. Multiple threads in multiple forums = Having to answer the same questions more than once. It's part of the joys of the internet!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

PaulW wrote:Brian, I thot I read that the plan was to run the C8 Raptor TTv6 in "stock full" class? That would require putting leafs back on the Raptor in order to meet the oem design spec.
==================

I'm not sure what class they'll end up running it in, but the former Raptor R/Ecoboost V6 truck still has leafs in the rear.

Todd Z.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Oh, and good luck in the new truck, Dave!

Have you gotten some GFB stickers for it!?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
gunit

Post by gunit »

BDKW1 wrote:
gunit wrote:Where in the rules for class 3 does it say that a 4 link is not allowed? BTW this car uses a 3 link.
End of first paragraph in the suspension components section of the current rule book page 59.

"Suspension must retain original design concept ( A-arm, MacPhearson strut, Ibeam, etc.) and all primary spring systems must retain the original concept ( leaf, torsion bar, coil, etc.) that was delivered on the year chassis in use."

So unless you've got some quarter ellipticals hanging around your out for class 3 under the current rules.

Here are the next two paragraphs:

CR10 Number of shock absorbers and mounting methods are optional. Mounting points may be redesigned, strengthened and modified. Remote shocks are allowed.

CR11 Secondary suspensions allowed. With secondary suspension system disconnected the primary system must be capable of maintaining ride height +/- 1.5"

The rule does not say anything about quarter ellipticals; "primary spring systems must retain the original concept ( leaf, torsion bar, coil, etc.

It may not matter anyway, if a few others do not enter in 3 we will be racing in 8.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

I personally don't want to see Class 3 die and was happy to see the Pikes truck, the Jeep Wrangler and now Gun-It's Bronco in the class. I'm hoping you run C3 Dave. Truck is going to bring a lot of attention to an old class with classic racing roots.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

BajaBronco13 wrote:I personally don't want to see Class 3 die and was happy to see the Pikes truck, the Jeep Wrangler and now Gun-It's Bronco in the class. I'm hoping you run C3 Dave. Truck is going to bring a lot of attention to an old class with classic racing roots.
I'm with you Chris. This may be the boost that Class 3 needs. Dave - You've got to run C3 in the 1000! Even if there's no competition.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Belive Me, I would like nothing better than to see the rule changed to something like the class 8 rule. To many newer vehicles coming with factory 4 links now.

For a rule change you usually just need signitures form everyone currently racing the class. Thats the Moss bros and?.......
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

BDKW1 wrote:Belive Me, I would like nothing better than to see the rule changed to something like the class 8 rule. To many newer vehicles coming with factory 4 links now.

For a rule change you usually just need signitures form everyone currently racing the class. Thats the Moss bros and?.......

I dont see the moss bros allowing such drastic updates considering they cried about hyd bumpstops mounted in the frame on a 12" travel jeep stating it was not legal.

I think this bronco is badass regardless what class it races in.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

shockseals.com wrote:
BDKW1 wrote:Belive Me, I would like nothing better than to see the rule changed to something like the class 8 rule. To many newer vehicles coming with factory 4 links now.

I dont see the moss bros allowing such drastic updates considering they cried about hyd bumpstops mounted in the frame on a 12" travel jeep stating it was not legal.
It wasn't the bump stops that were illegal, it was cutting the frame to install them that was.

As far as the class 8 rules, having coil overs in the rear sure has made that a strong and vibrant class with lots of entries? There are more than a dozen existing trucks out there now that are legal for Class 3 and there aren't one or two that show up for a race. Are there really going to suddenly be 12 trucks built for the new rules once you make all the old trucks obsolete?

Links on Class 3 have always been legal to locate the axle, its the type of spring you are using to hold the truck up. They plan on using a type of leaf spring on this truck to make it class 3 legal.