The Motley Crue: White '97 OBS Crew Cab Build

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: The Motley Crue: White '97 OBS Crew Cab Build

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

My vote is no on the mesh in the skid. Looks sweet just the way it is.

Random observation, which I'm sure may just be a trick due to camera angle, but it almost looks like the shackle will/is rubbing on the shackle hanger. Are the bushings in the shackle delrin?
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
nubreed71
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Post by nubreed71 »

I drew a couple holes on the skid and held it up to the truck and came to the same conclusion. It was just a little bit too much.

Funny, I wondered the same thing RE the shackles when Richer sent me a pic of them installed, but seeing it in person, I'm not worried about it. Bushings are poly though, so I guess some deflection is possible. I have to assume Desolate has accounted for all that though.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

oh man that came out nice...

If the current skid plate doesn't inhibit any flow through the factory holes in the bumper, leave it as is. Keeps it as clean as possible.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I found a couple places selling the 38 gallon tank but if they are unavailable then the 33 gallon bronco tank may make more sense. I believe that the fuel level gauge on the dash all use the same ohms at the tank. So with that said if I were to speculate a carb type tank and a 95 bronco tank should make the gauge work the same. I think about external pumps and if they should be considered. Anyway having a 33 gallon tank with an already figured out fuel level would be handy especially if they are readily available.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

I looked at about the first two pages on Google for sites selling the F26D/E tanks, and all of them either say out of stock, or the ones that don't, eventually say unavailable to order once you add to cart and try to purchase. I get the feeling that either Spectra is temporarily out of stock on them, or has stopped making them. Bummer for sure.

Bronco tank would be the next option, but I'm less excited about the idea of a tank that holds less fuel than the 38 gallon tank and hangs down another 3-4". That may be the only option though.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Appears other brands out there making the tanks too- saw some on eBay that looked like the spectra- I actually called spectra at one point - might call and find out. They literally may make a run of them a year and that’s it
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Interesting. Let me know what you find out from Spectra!
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

I took the truck to a buddy that gave it a full paint correction and detail, along with a few coats of SiO2 to keep things looking nice and shiny for awhile. Once that was done, I was able to slap all the new badges on there, and will be taking it in for Linex tomorrow. I'm debating Linex on the top surface of the rear bumper. What do you guys think...yay or nay?

Turf Tamer
Bronco Info: 1990 F-150 396 stroker w/camper shell. Its got KING's bra!!!

Post by Turf Tamer »

I think a coating on top would look good. Especially if you are going above the rail on the bed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

That's a tough one on Line-X on the bumper. It could go either way! I'd be tempted to do it if it was my truck.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

One word for you Taylor.....Monstaliner!

https://magnetpaints.com/bedliner1.asp

We have used it everywhere in at least 12 of the colors and it's the best thing ever.
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Thanks guys! I am going over the rail with the LineX, so I'm leaning towards doing the top of the bumper. I think it would tie together nicely. Will post pics once I get the truck home and get everything installed in the bed.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Top of the bumper for sure. The first time you slip and smack your chin after a dawn patrol sesh, you'll wish you had.
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Hahaha, so true Will. So true.

I ended up not having them do the top of the bumper this time around since it was going to prevent them from getting it all done in one day, but it's for sure going to be on the list. I'm so happy with how the Linex turned out...it really finishes the truck off so nicely. Now I'm just waiting on my skidplate to come back from the polishers (they're throwing a little brushed finish on it) and I gotta take the fuel pump access panel back to Linex to have them spray texture on the side that faces up, and then we should be in business.

Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

Clean machine
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Tail lights are done by? I might know the answer....but
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

funinthesun95 wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:12 pm
Tail lights are done by? I might know the answer....but
You really should know......
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Haha, yup, you know the taillight source Willie!
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

LMAO .....OK OK
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

Alright fellas, now that the truck is in a good spot, it's time to sit back and take a breather on the build and start thinking about the next phase. One area I've been thinking a lot about is the front suspension. Originally the plan was to have this thing end up on coilovers, with 3.0's being my preference, but realistically, 2.5's should be more than enough for my purposes.

I've been trading ideas with a few friends over the weekend, and debating the idea of just sticking to coils and going to an Autofab coil bucket or a Threat coil bucket with a 2.5x10" shock. The sensible side of me thinks that an extended length 2.5" resi shock up front is probably plenty for the 1-2 dirt trips a year this truck will see, but goddamn, coilovers are just so much cooler, and ride a lot nicer IMO. Just debating if it's really worth all the added cost of going coilovers.

The way I figure it, if I go with some coil buckets and extended length 2.5's, I can probably get all that done for $1500ish (coil buckets are $600 from Threat with upper shock mount, $500 from autofab without any upper mount, plus another $500-$600 for shocks, and another $300 for miscellaneous) vs. if I want to go coilovers, I'm looking at $1200 for an engine cage, another $1200-$1400 for coilovers and springs, plus another $500 or so for miscellaneous. So figure an extra $1500 for coilovers.