95 F150 overland/prerunner

Bsbronco
Bronco Info: 95 F150 prerunner/ overland project

Post by Bsbronco »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:On the "short body" shocks, which are what a lot of guys end up running on broncos so as to get more droop (although on bronco's it's typically a 12" shaft in a 10" body) you don't lose anything that I know of. I could be imagining this thing all wrong though, as to be honest it was years ago now when I cycled my rear & the short body shock was an afterthought I didn't truly measure out at the time.

Here is how things worked in my experience though:
with a 10" shock I got the droop I wanted, with the lower mounts on the axle up a little bit & protected like I liked. The issue was at bump the shock would bottom out before the suspension fully cycled up.

If I moved the mounting tabs for the lower end of the shock way low, below the CL of the axle (like 3-4" lower than stock lower shock mounts if I remember right) I could get the thing to bump, but I left a lot of shaft hanging low & exposed.

I went to an 8" stroke shock that allowed me to put the lower mounts where I liked, and also made it so the shock bottomed out much closer to full suspension bump (although shock still would bottom 1st, so I bumped it a bit low).

My thought with the 8" body & 10" shaft I could keep my truck bumped where I am at now, but gain the couple extra inches of droop. I do see what you are saying about still losing that 2" of bump since the overall shaft if longer. I'm having a brain fart right now with wrapping my head around that would be the case or not, as I'm distracted by the work I'm supposed to be doing vs. playing here online 7 thinking more about trucks - haha.
I think you might be right on not loosing anything with the 10” shaft in an 8” body. I measured the depth of the 10” body and it’s 16” from the bottom of the I’d to the top lip so I think the 8” body has more usable room for a longer shaft to travel up that what the 8” shaft uses. Once o move on the the back of the truck I will pull the 8s apart and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Re: 95 F150 overland/prerunner

Post by VintageIronFab »

Hey you’ve got a welder- go buy some 2” square tubing that’s 1/8” or a bit thicker and build you some tall jack stands - those are just too wobbly for my taste- just better piece of mind - at least for me anyway.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

VintageIronFab wrote:Hey you’ve got a welder- go buy some 2” square tubing that’s 1/8” or a bit thicker and build you some tall jack stands - those are just too wobbly for my taste- just better piece of mind - at least for me anyway.
Forget that waste of time & materials! At this price grab 4 of these & call it good. I couldn't make something better for less if I factored in my time.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUMNER-781300- ... SwquVaCNbp

These folding ones are GREAT if you value every inch of shop space as much as I do. The non folding ones can be had a bit cheaper, but take up more than 2x the floor space when trying to store them
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Yea those are nice- if you are budget conscious build a set but just get out from under those jack stands!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Bsbronco
Bronco Info: 95 F150 prerunner/ overland project

Post by Bsbronco »

Got some work done on the truck this weekend I got the front suspension painted and installed with new calipers and rotors and brake lines. I’m missing some parts for the diff so it’s not in yet. But until those parts come in I’m gonna start tearing down the rear end. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk