'89 2wd B2 daily

zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Re: '89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

Pickuptrucker wrote:Sounds like it will pretty cool, I like b2 builds
Yeah I seriously considered selling it and going back to a full-size Bronco project, but I couldn’t part with the little lego brick. Oh and it’s name is now ‘Smurfette’
Potato.
zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

Progress is slower than molasses on a cold day since I still haven’t sold my Power Wagon, but I’ve been messing with little stuff here and there
Took the bumper I got from Chris and smoothed it out, then sprayed in it some fancy metallic paintImage
Hard to see the holes in the pics, but after pulling my stock bumper I realized the bolt holes for the OEM B2 bumper and ranger tube bumper don’t match up.. oh well, simple fix.
ImageImage
If all goes well and the bumper clears my hatch after I re-drill the bolt holes, the plan is to have loops welded onto the tube to run a ratchet strap to to hold my spare upright like this. Yes I’ll have to remove my spare every time I wanna open the hatch.. but I don’t really open the hatch often and I’d rather do this than mount my spare inside

So that’s where I’m at.. now funds allowing I’ll be gathering more parts, hoping once I get the rear shocks fit with the proper eyelet sleeves I can test fit them.. if the PDubya ever sells maybe I’ll splurge a little and get a junkyard Expo 8.8 with factory discs and run 4.56s with a locker.. would be nice with the 2.9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

ImageImageImageImageImage
Made some time to get the bumper trimmed, drilled, and bolted up. Pretty happy with the result, although I’ll have to do some more grinding down the line when I get ready to mount the spare. Trimmed the bedsides to match, and was able to reuse the factory filler panel to cover some of the ugly wiring crap. I need bent beams for this thing.. :[

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

This thing is rad!

BTW the shocks in that article are 4600's not 5100's. If you want to keep the height you have, 4600/5100's are build using the same components, 5100's just have the fancy plating vs yellow paint, and are typically set up for lifted vehicles vs stock height (4600)
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

*Built. Hate the no edit...
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Becks_Bronco wrote:*Built. Hate the no edit...
Thanks! And you mean the Ron Burgandy Expo? Ahh yeah I figured. I managed to stuff 5100s meant for a 4” lift under my front end because of the coil spacer lift though lol I’ll probably end up running them with different coils just cuz I have them
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

And my build plan for this thing has changed quite a bit since then, now I’m searching for stock width or 3+over bent 2wd beams, extended radius arms, and the rear im going to swap in an Expo 8.8 with factory discs and probably regear to 4.56s. Don’t have any of that stuff yet, but I do have 3” James Duff coils, and Fabtech 2.25 shocks for the rear. No idea what I’m going to do for leaves or shackles though.. in the end it should still be a clean comfortable daily, but with stock width or close to stock width mid travel and much better traction once I decide what kinda traction aid to run in whatever junkyard 8.8 I get
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

I guess I should update my plans for this build>
The current plan is:
-junkyard Expo 8.8 with factory discs, regear to 4.56s(?) with some sort of selectable locker, LS, or other traction aid
-2.25 Fabtech shocks mounted under the bed
-change out the leaves and shackles ..for something else that’s softer... the lower the better
-extended braided steel brake lines all around(probably will go with James Duff’s kit)
-bent stock width or 3” over 2wd beams, extended radius arms, and 93-97 ranger knuckles with dual piston calipers
-run the 3” James Duff coils I got with single 5100s on each side, but if that doesn’t work I’ll move to 4” coils
-move up to a newer set of 31” or 32” tires, maybe lighter stronger wheels
-some sort of amber LED fog lights
-matching suspension seats adapted to stock sliders, with provisions for 4pt harnesses
-steering wheel quick release
-New exhaust, plugs, wires, etc.. small stuff to squeeze a bit more power out of the 2.9

I wanna keep this thing 2wd and stick with the stock 2.9/auto as long as I can. I plan to take it from San Diego to Colorado and back soon for a family reunion type thing. Once the Power Wagon actually sells I’ll be buying more parts
Potato.
zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

Anyone know if gears or a locker out of a full-size 8.8 will fit in an Expo 8.8 housing? I know I’ll have to change the leaf spring perches and shock mounts..

zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

Picked up some old Autofab beams and radius arms with stiff Skyjacker coils.. probably will run the softer 3” JD coils I have unless I find a better set. New pivot bushings, and some brake odds and ends and I’ll be ready to bolt em onImageImage

Bftank
Bronco Info: 1996 bronco 6 inch dick cepek front, deavers in the rear

Post by Bftank »

gears out of fullsize 8.8 will fit expo 8.8 both are 31 spline diffs as well
@outdoorexplorationgear on Instagram, focused on Krustythebronco, building a towrig, creating a prerunner/rockcrawler business.
zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

ProgreesssssssssImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

Slowly but surely
ImageImage

zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

Bent beams are hung, and decided to stick with the 6” Skyjacker coils that came with them for now since my B2 has the longer Expo/STX style pivot bracketsImageImageImage
Ignore my dumb mock up wannabe-TT valance lol
Also workin on this stuff in the dirt sucks, I envy you guys that have garages haha Image
So now it’s sitting on pretty fresh 5100’s as per my original plan. I got a pair of 2.0x8 FOA bypasses dirt cheap, but not sure if I wanna swap em out.. regardless I’ve been working on cleaning them up and spraying them in steelit Image
After getting the beams hung I jumped head first into this greaseball of an engine:
Before(first degrease and wash)Image
After-ish.. she’s 95% back together, just messing around with a 4.0 Expo rad and electric fan setup now, and some vacuum line stupidnessImageImage

zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

Picked up some low-mile 33” KO2’s for the B2, and my girl seems to have befriended the local coastal squirrel population ImageImage

zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

So I’m getting ready to regear the my 8.8 to 4.88s, anyone have any input on Ford Racing Gears vs. G2? I can get either for about the same price, the G2’s are just at the local 4wp, and FRG’s at a small mom & pop shop. Along with regearing I’m trying to decide on what kinda simple budget friendly traction aid I should add to it.. Mini spool, full spool..? Idk

toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Zach: Please PM me your mailing address - I have a book for you!

Thanks,
Todd Z.
zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

33s were a bit tight so I threw on some longer shackles, but I’m still expecting to rub a bit while flexing. Finally finished the 2.9 overhaul tooImageImageImageImageImage
And yes I painted the valve covers Chevy orange haha

zachwabbit

'89 2wd B2 daily

Post by zachwabbit »

Been behind with updates on this thing between starting a new job and taking care of family stuff, I ran out of time and money before I had to go out of town so I abandoned the 8.8 swap idea for the time being. But the good news is the 7.5 held up pretty well on the long drive to Colorado and back, and I managed to get decent mileage with the stock 4.10s. Other than clogging both cats in flagstaff, and losing 4th she did really well, and even out-wheeled some newer Jeeps on the trails! ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Paint job and ditched the tire carrier rear bumper? You are behind in updates. It's lookin good though!!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects