BajaF250

BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:I started to look at extended cab and crew cab Fords yesterday on craigslist... then I told my self to stop looking before I did something stupid and create more work for myself!

Do it! Do it!
SteveG wrote:I gotta say, Tom, you and the crew at Autofab really outdid yourselves on BajaF250. The end result simple and to the point yet so perfectly executed for its intended purpose. Congrats, you've got groupies!
Thanks Steve!
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

SteveG wrote:I gotta say, Tom, you and the crew at Autofab really outdid yourselves on BajaF250. The end result simple and to the point yet so perfectly executed for its intended purpose. Congrats, you've got groupies!
Count me as a groupie on this one. I stumbled across a website some time ago that had your truck build on it and really liked it. I've gone back and re-read this thread now several times too. You've hit the nail on the head in my book: a nice older truck with tasteful, practical, and functional updates. A true sleeper. Nothing better in the desert in my opinion.

Todd Z.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Well, it looks like I have a new project. I was working on my door panels today (boy, I really need to get those done!) and I noticed that my rear tank was leaking. Apparently, I've cracked a seam. Since it was a cheap replacement tank, I'd planned to replace it anyway, but not until the future... err, well, apparently, the future is now here. So, when I get back from my business travel in a couple of weeks. I'll drop the tank and start building a new one. I've already got a design in mind and it should be pretty easy... just time consuming. I'm going to make it out of 16-ga SS with internal baffling. It'll also have a 3/16" alum skid plate incorporated. The basic skid plate frame is already there (incorporated with the bumper project).

I think I've got the final details worked out on my door panels. I worked the passenger side and it turned out pretty well. I just have to clean it up and get it ready for paint. I'll start on the driver's side tomorrow. I most likely won't get much done... tomorrow is John's birthday and we're going to throw him a pool side bbq... Then after that... I start my three weeks worth of travel...
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Well, it looks like I have a new project. I was working on my door panels today (boy, I really need to get those done!) and I noticed that my rear tank was leaking. Apparently, I've cracked a seam. Since it was a cheap replacement tank, I'd planned to replace it anyway, but not until the future... err, well, apparently, the future is now here. So, when I get back from my business travel in a couple of weeks. I'll drop the tank and start building a new one. I've already got a design in mind and it should be pretty easy... just time consuming. I'm going to make it out of 16-ga SS with internal baffling. It'll also have a 3/16" alum skid plate incorporated. The basic skid plate frame is already there (incorporated with the bumper project).

I think I've got the final details worked out on my door panels. I worked the passenger side and it turned out pretty well. I just have to clean it up and get it ready for paint. I'll start on the driver's side tomorrow. I most likely won't get much done... tomorrow is John's birthday and we're going to throw him a pool side bbq... Then after that... I start my three weeks worth of travel...
SC150
Bronco Info: 1989 5spd Cantilevered Bronco

Post by SC150 »

I've been drooling over this thread al afternoon. This truck is officially the inspiration for my new project. I'm gonna start a build thread on mine soon (going to be very similar in functionality, but probably not nearly as nice).
Is there a 3rd seat up front (looks like there might be a jump seat)? Do you have any pics of this set up if so? I'm also very curious about the dust boots for the rear shocks. Are they effective and what exactly did you use? I've been brainstorming a lot on this as I'm gonna have a shell on mine and have the intention of sleeping in it from time to time. Keeping the dust out or at least to a minimum would be ideal.
I love how you kept the bed space and were able to use a shell, even with the cage. I'm definitely taking notes.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

SC150 wrote:I've been drooling over this thread al afternoon. This truck is officially the inspiration for my new project. I'm gonna start a build thread on mine soon (going to be very similar in functionality, but probably not nearly as nice).
Is there a 3rd seat up front (looks like there might be a jump seat)? Do you have any pics of this set up if so? I'm also very curious about the dust boots for the rear shocks. Are they effective and what exactly did you use? I've been brainstorming a lot on this as I'm gonna have a shell on mine and have the intention of sleeping in it from time to time. Keeping the dust out or at least to a minimum would be ideal.
I love how you kept the bed space and were able to use a shell, even with the cage. I'm definitely taking notes.
Glad you joined us here. I'm the guy that posted the info on the link killer stuff, are you going to get it?
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
SC150
Bronco Info: 1989 5spd Cantilevered Bronco

Post by SC150 »

Picking everything up tonight! So psyched.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Any pictures of the mounting of the front fenders. Just picked up these same fenders, so looking for thoughts on whether skinning the fenders, or picking up some tube mounts works best......
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

tcm glx wrote:Any pictures of the mounting of the front fenders. Just picked up these same fenders, so looking for thoughts on whether skinning the fenders, or picking up some tube mounts works best......
Either way is about the same amount of work. I will be doing tubing mounts on both of my trucks as I was not happy with how the skinning turned out on my crew cab.

Lots of stuff to relocate and mount on 90s trucks. That's why it has not been done on my Bronco yet.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

tcm glx wrote:Any pictures of the mounting of the front fenders. Just picked up these same fenders, so looking for thoughts on whether skinning the fenders, or picking up some tube mounts works best......
X2, I'm looking at my 75 and the Autofab fenders.
The thing is I need the inner fenders or I have to make new ones because desert running in the snow without them is not for me a good choice.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Dust wrote:
X2, I'm looking at my 75 and the Autofab fenders.
The thing is I need the inner fenders or I have to make new ones because desert running in the snow without them is not for me a good choice.
Our trucks are different than the broncos Chris. Those fenders should be a pretty easy bolt on with the stock inner fenders.

Autofab has a kit for the broncos/F-150's. Here's a link to the instructions for it. There's a few pics here.
http://www.autofab.com/fender_mount_instructions.htm
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Dust

Post by Dust »

ChaseTruck754 wrote: Our trucks are different than the broncos Chris. Those fenders should be a pretty easy bolt on with the stock inner fenders.
K this time :lol: but I'll have the same issues if/when I get to the Bronco...
Dust

Post by Dust »

I suck at this intrawebbly thing :roll:
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SC150 wrote: Is there a 3rd seat up front (looks like there might be a jump seat)? Do you have any pics of this set up if so? I've been brainstorming a lot on this as I'm gonna have a shell on mine and have the intention of sleeping in it from time to time. Keeping the dust out or at least to a minimum would be ideal.
I love how you kept the bed space and were able to use a shell, even with the cage. I'm definitely taking notes
Ok, the seat. Yes, it's a third middle "jump" seat. It actually got it out of a Dodge pickup at the wrecking yard. I just had it reupholstered to match the MasterCrafts. I'll get a couple of pics to add. I fab'd up a seat mouting system that includes ties the MasterCraft seats and the center console/jump seat. I even have 5-point seatbelts for the center as well. The cage bar in the back of the cab sort of crowds the seat so you really can't use it for adults on a long trip. Too cramped... plus my shifter takes up most of the leg room, but for short, around town trips, or for small adults or kids, it works great!

I'm also very curious about the dust boots for the rear shocks. Are they effective and what exactly did you use?

Yes, I put boots on the rear shocks. I had a problem with rocks nicking my shock shafts. So, when I rebuilt the shocks, I added the new nitrite shafts (more chip resistant) and then added the boots. I got them at Mirage Racing Products in Santee Ca. (http://www.mirageraceproducts.com/) They have boots for 2½" shock bodies. Call and ask for Bill or Doug, they are great folks! Don't forget to strip down the boots occasionally and clean the shafts and oil them up to avoid corrosion.

Yeah, part of the build constraints was the bed space. It was critical to maintain useable space in the back. I do a fair amount of chasing and I wanted to maintain stoage space for parts and tires. My wife and I love to camp so I have plenty of space to take all our camp gear and food/water. It's worked out quite well.

The shell was an important consideration as well. It wasn't as easy as it looks. I had to design and then configure the front of the shell to fit over the roll cage and still seal against rain and dust. It was a bigger undertaking that I'd originally planned. Lots of work! But, I really like the way it turned out. The other major part of the shell was that it hides the rear cage work. I didn't want the truck to look like a "prerunner," I wanted to maintain as low a profile as I could, it's my "grandpa rig" (unless you look closely and know what to look like). I can also lock it and it maintains a small modicum of security for gear in the back of the bed.

Can't wait to see you build... looking forward to see the progress and design ideas! There are so many ways to do things and it's always great to see how many of the build challenges are overcome. Keep us all updated with you build.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Tony,
I don't have any good pics of the inner fender mounts. I took John's and modified them for my application. But, I'm going to take the front end apart next weekend and I'll pull the fenders and take some pics for you. The core support/fender mounts are really pretty easy. John has they all precut and prebent. You have to weld them together. It's really pretty easy.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Have you ever had problems with the bed cap or how it's mounted? After riding with you I'm a bit surprised if you haven't.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

BajaF250 wrote:It was a bigger undertaking that I'd originally planned. Lots of work!
Isn't it always!?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

BajaF250 wrote:
Hey Tony,
I don't have any good pics of the inner fender mounts. I took John's and modified them for my application. But, I'm going to take the front end apart next weekend and I'll pull the fenders and take some pics for you. The core support/fender mounts are really pretty easy. John has they all precut and prebent. You have to weld them together. It's really pretty easy.

Thanks, I decided to try skinning oem fenders first, will see how that goes.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:Have you ever had problems with the bed cap or how it's mounted? After riding with you I'm a bit surprised if you haven't.
Hey Philo! Nope no problems. But, remember, with the truck fully caged, I don't get the same movement in the bed. The bed is actually welded to the cage and hard mounted to the frame. Thus, I don't get the same twisting motion and movement I used to get. So, the cap is solidly mounted to the bed and there isn't much stress on it. The cap is actually bolted through the top of the bed lip, I used 4 stainless steel, 7/16" bolts with reinforcements across the top. So, it's solid with little stress!

So, whatta saying about my driving??? :) :lol:
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:It was a bigger undertaking that I'd originally planned. Lots of work!
Isn't it always!?
:o IT ALWAYS IS!!! :o