BajaF250

BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Re: BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Ok, I stopped by and talked with Greg at Total Performance and he'll do my intake manifold for me next week. So, I'll pull it off today, get it cleaned up, check it for straightness and bring it down to him on Monday. He can have it ported and hot tanked, looking like it just came out of the casting mold in two days. That, in-and-of-itself, should give me another 25hp... just to give the old Lightning motor a touch more pep. I'm going to design and build some custom headers to capitalize on flow characteristics for the future stroker motor I'll build. I should have it back together by next weekend and running!
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

Tom I hope I'm thinking what others are and that is it's great to have you back on GFB. You bring life to this site!......... Now, carry on!
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Agui-E7TE wrote:Gotcha! Intake removal isn't very fun but on the plus side, you can check your valve covers to see if they are leaking. I'm pretty sure Minty Green's engine doesn't leak oil though :lol:

Are you adding a spacer between the plenum?

Sorry, but I missed this before. Tom, I would consider a spacer between the upper and lower. The heat transfer is incredible in stock form. For example, Mick's XR8 Falcon recently received a new reman engine with AFR 165 heads, E303 cam and the Explorer (cast GT40 style) intake mainifold. With the AFR heads having screw-in studs, we had to find a stock EFI style set of valve covers to fit over the rocker gear, but clear the intake. The problem was, the taller cover hit the bottom of the upper, so I installed a 3/4" TFS GT40 phenolic resin spacer kit and that fixed all the clearance problems, and showed the heat issue. Now, after a spirited drive, I can open the hood and put my hand on the upper intake, and it IS hot (100 - 120F), but I can keep my hand on it, and the lower is lava hot (200+F). The difference in heat transfer is amazing, and definately a benefit to NOT heating the air charge. I also moved the ATS from the lower intake (it has no threaded hole there for it) to the rubber intake tube behind the MAF and it has made a noticable difference to torque and HP. Just my $0.02. :D
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

AussieRod wrote:
Agui-E7TE wrote:Gotcha! Intake removal isn't very fun but on the plus side, you can check your valve covers to see if they are leaking. I'm pretty sure Minty Green's engine doesn't leak oil though :lol:

Are you adding a spacer between the plenum?

Sorry, but I missed this before. Tom, I would consider a spacer between the upper and lower. The heat transfer is incredible in stock form. For example, Mick's XR8 Falcon recently received a new reman engine with AFR 165 heads, E303 cam and the Explorer (cast GT40 style) intake mainifold. With the AFR heads having screw-in studs, we had to find a stock EFI style set of valve covers to fit over the rocker gear, but clear the intake. The problem was, the taller cover hit the bottom of the upper, so I installed a 3/4" TFS GT40 phenolic resin spacer kit and that fixed all the clearance problems, and showed the heat issue. Now, after a spirited drive, I can open the hood and put my hand on the upper intake, and it IS hot (100 - 120F), but I can keep my hand on it, and the lower is lava hot (200+F). The difference in heat transfer is amazing, and definately a benefit to NOT heating the air charge. I also moved the ATS from the lower intake (it has no threaded hole there for it) to the rubber intake tube behind the MAF and it has made a noticable difference to torque and HP. Just my $0.02. :D

Hey Rod,
Great input and I wish I could... but adding a spacer between the upper and lower intake would drive the upper plenum into my firewall... remember, this motor wasn't stock in this truck and it barely fits. So, I dont' have a lot of excess space on the top end. I'll see what I can do, but It's pretty darn tight. Not quite ready to start cutting the firewall. Mucho change coming down the pike, so I don't want to take any temporary steps just to have to turn around and change it all up in the near future. But, you point is well made...
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Quailhunter wrote:Tom I hope I'm thinking what others are and that is it's great to have you back on GFB. You bring life to this site!......... Now, carry on!
Hey Rob,
Thanks and mucho appreciated... but maybe just a little overstated perhaps? But, what are friends for! Hehe... :d

So, NORRA next year? You up for it? Not much left to do on the "Old Ford," just a cage... that'd do it...
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

BajaF250 wrote:Hey Rob,
Thanks and mucho appreciated... but maybe just a little overstated perhaps? But, what are friends for! Hehe... :d
Amen!
Quailhunter wrote:Tom I hope I'm thinking what others are and that is it's great to have you back on GFB. You bring life to this site!......... Now, carry on!
For sure!
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Ok, pulled the intake off the motor... pretty clear where the issue was... normally when you get the bolts out you have to pry the lower off... mine... just came off... lifted right up... UGH! No wonder. So, it's off to the engine performance shop tomorrow for a massive cleaning and porting.

Next, I've gotta clean up the intake side of the heads and the oil alley. The intake gaskets are pretty glued and tough to get off... it's gonna take some time to get it all cleaned up.

So hey, I guess I got nothing better to do now! :D
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I hate doin the lower intake. Do you use the cork gaskets for the front and rear of the intake
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I hate doin the lower intake. Do you use the cork gaskets for the front and rear of the intake
Hey Randy... Yeah, I hate it to... dirty... but, it does allow a good look at all the pieces and parts to make sure things are working right and to get things cleaned up.

Nope, don't use a gasket any more... just use RTV... has always worked perfectly... the cork or rubber gaskets always leak.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Yeah i hear you. Thats exactly what i did for the same reason. I know thats how alot of engine builders do theirs on carb'd engines but i was a tad timid when i did it on an efi intake.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Ok, got the intakes, upper and lower, off to the machine shop... should be all cleaned up and ported in a couple of days. I also dropped all 8 of the injectors off for cleaning, rebuilding and flow bench and spray pattern testing. A few hours later, got a call that they were all done! Nice... all 8 injectors checked out perfectly and are rebuild and tested... ready for pickup! Wow, that was fast!
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

You continue to amaze Tom! Sixty pounds lighter and fast as fast can be. Haha!
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hehe... wish it were so! :D
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Man, I'm slow... well, got all the parts back and all cleaned up and painted. I spent many hours with a Q-tip making sure I cleaned up the lifter/oil galley to clean it up from any potential dirt/sand, old gasket material contamination. Although I was very careful with keeping everything covered and sealed, the initial lower removal will always contaminate the oil galley... so, clean, clean, clean! Pays in the long run.

Got the lower intake manifold installed, sealed and torqued. Then I got all of the components installed, injectors, fuel rail, engine wiring harness, water plugs and sensors, etc. So now, I'll just wait overnight for everything to set and setup/dry... then I'll retorque the lower and then install the upper. I'll then fire it up and see if it works!
Attachments
torqueing the lower
torqueing the lower
torquing the lower.JPG (119.06 KiB) Viewed 730 times
ready for the upper manifold
ready for the upper manifold
ready for the upper.JPG (129.84 KiB) Viewed 730 times
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Man, those pictures really bring to light the need to paint the engine compartment/firewall... hmmm, maybe next engine swap...
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Haha! Evidence that no trailer was involved in the transportation and use of this truck.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

It's all back together... just need to fire it up... should be tonight when I get home!
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

yikes wrote:Haha! Evidence that no trailer was involved in the transportation and use of this truck.
Yeah too big to fit on it.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

I've finally had a few minutes and got the BajaF250 back up and operational... Finally!!!!!! Just a little late though! Completely missed the 500... but at least I got to head down and enjoy it. Hit HPR and spent the night there... very nice.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

BajaF250 wrote:I've finally had a few minutes and got the BajaF250 back up and operational... Finally!!!!!! Just a little late though! Completely missed the 500... but at least I got to head down and enjoy it. Hit HPR and spent the night there... very nice.
Woohoo! It feels good to have an operational truck again, doesn't it? Man I hate having dead cars...