"TrophyFJ" Build. Ls3 powered TTB FJ

trophyFJ
Bronco Info: I'm building a FJC with TTB front suspension, 4-link and a Ls3.....came here to do research. Thanks

Re: "TrophyFJ" Build. Ls3 powered TTB FJ

Post by trophyFJ »

Since I don’t want to run the risk of messing up my expensive work in progress.... we figured we “test” the shock pocket program on a remnant chunk we had. Going slow and learning a few things.... never worked on anything this big so we learn something new everyday....

trophyFJ
Bronco Info: I'm building a FJC with TTB front suspension, 4-link and a Ls3.....came here to do research. Thanks

Post by trophyFJ »

Starting the pockets! The start of 4-6 hour operation.... starting on the first shock pocket...3D machining is cool but due to the amount of material we removing takes forever!!! Hope we don’t fuck anything up.... might need to re-think the design a bit to cut down on machine time. If I ever wanna makes these more affordable for anyone interested....

But why? You ask.....I’m not a builder, don’t own a shop, this is not a SEMA truck..... this is really just to challenge myself and for the pleasure of building something unique that myself and others will admire the work and skill put into the finished truck when it’s all done. Then of course then pleasure I will have pushing this truck hard when it’s done. But don’t think for a second I haven’t questioned my sanity many times during this build.....as the hours tick by making these arms what keeps me going is what’s starting to emerge from this block.... can’t wait to hold the finish arm and then see it on my truck.

Image[/url]
trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

First shock pocket done! This has been quite the learning experience... made a few mistakes but that is part of the process. Important thing is that now I know how to do it better....

Image[/url]
trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

Topside cut! Starting to take its final shape....

All the angles.... sides done !! Starting to take its final shape....

I think we nailed the finishing pass on the side surface.... time to cut all the edge radius’s so we can finally see what this chunk of aluminium looks like underneath the coolant ....

Finishing pass on the contours! We almost there!

Hell yeah.... look what’s hiding under the pools of coolant all the hours of milling now coming to life!! ....

trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

2 face .... hehehe one side pretty the other....needs work...

The finishing touch ..... engraved the logo for my company @cinemilled after all, none of this would be happening without all the hardwork I put into making my company grow and allow me to do this like this crazy FJ project. Looking at this makes me proud as it symbolizes a lot in my life. Big milestone for sure. Learned so much in this project.... and I can’t wait to see these things hanging under my truck.... now back to work cause I still have to machine the other side!!

trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

We were busy this weekend.....#billetfordays !!! Now time to figure out how to hold this thing so we can machine the other side..

trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

“Say hello to my little friends” ... ahahahaha... nothing like a crazy idea come to life... all the hard work, sweat and stress looking thru the window with my hand on the stop button in fear of fucking up the biggest thing we have ever machined. To all the people that said why? ... to the people that said it was not worth all the effort..... they must of never attempted something new or challenging. There is nothing like the feeling of achieving your goals and growing and learning from the process of achieving those goals. However big or small. This moment was just that. Laughing like a little kid holding something that was just an idea that turned into a drawing (thanks to @dertco )that is now a beautiful new thing that didn’t exist before. Nothing quite like seeing and holding a new billet part that you saw on screen for months in your hands....we still have a long road ahead of us on this project but today, I’m letting myself enjoy this one just for a little bit. I learned so much, that alone makes it all worth it. That’s enough for me. #billeteverything !!!! @cinemilled Racing Billet links no longer a dream.

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

I still can't believe i did this...

Image[/url]

Image[/url]
trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

Don’t look so big lined up next to my F250, then again it did make that 35” tire look small ..... off to get a clear hard anodize ... dreaming about the day I see them linked up to that currie rear end and hanging under my truck....

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

trophyFJ wrote:To all the people that said why? ... to the people that said it was not worth all the effort..... they must of never attempted something new or challenging.

There is nothing like the feeling of achieving your goals and growing and learning from the process of achieving those goals. However big or small. This moment was just that.
I get this.

Great job keep up the good work.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

So cool! Thanks for the long overdue update. Love seeing all the trick details on this thing.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

Last little detail.... while the arms are out anodizing we can start cutting the replaceable HDPE/delrin plastic “skid plates” that will cover the bottom surface of the links so they can slide over rocks, ruts etc....this should extend the overall life of the links and keep the arms that hang kinda low from grabbing hard on rocks when I go use my 4WD on some trails I shouldn’t be on with a pre-runner....

trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

We waiting on parts to come back from the laser cutter to continue building out the rear.... progress has been slow but hopefully soon it’s starts to come together a bit quicker especially the rear end area. Honestly I also need time to make the money to pay for all this shiny stuff. I’m not rich by any means.... but my taste is! Buying all these high end components is tough on the overall budget but no sense in cutting corners. We have come this far....Most of the large purchases are behind me, engine,trans, transfer case,currie rear end, brakes, rims, seats, comms, $USPEN$ION..... this truck is a life goal of mine and drives me to work hard everyday. Motorsports have always done that for me. Driven me to learn skills I don’t know, get better jobs etc. but I’m looking very much forward to the day I can put a helmet on a press a start button. Till then... patience, perseverance and just keep driving forward one small goal at a time.... some people can write a check and have a dream truck 2 months later, unfortunately that’s not my situation.

trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

Finally got the phone call!! @currieenterprises finished my rear end!! Gimme gimme gimme!! So excited!! To see this thing.... it’s like Christmas in may.

Come to daddy! @currieenterprises F9 fabricated 4130 4” housing, Strange Ultra 3rd w/billet yoke, spool, 10” ring gear, 40spline 300m axles. Full float with Jamar hubs and six piston TT brakes. I think if I manage to break this I might have bigger problems !! Overbuilt? Or Just right? At this point, why cut corners? Buy once, cry once..... When I finally get this truck to the desert I don’t want to start breaking things right away. Hopefully the rear end is now one less thing to worry about....

Image[/url]

trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

Virtual #tuckedtuesday ? Does that count? So anyways..... everyone...... long time, no updates. It’s natural to think that maybe the project is dead. We are all so used to seeing some projects just progress from start to finish. Many people out there have no idea what’s it’s like to undertake such massive a project....You might be used to “sema builds” that go from concept to sema floor in a few months.... or in the span of a few reality TV episodes. Doesn’t seam that hard right? Problem is, I’m not rich and my daddy isn’t either. I’ve had a few companies “help” here and there.... but no real sponsors either. This isn’t on a reality TV show with some stupid made-up deadline. It’s just me, some idiot that had some crazy vision and was brave (arguably stupid) enough to try to bring it to life. It’s also just me, also working my ass off to make a living and life for my family and meanwhile keep this dream alive and progressing. None of this process is cheap or easy. I brought it on myself of course by choosing a FJ as a base. I still believe in the end result as the day I started. I’m all in. Hang in there with me and one day I hope you’ll get to start enjoying some videos of this thing running! For now @dertco is back on it, putting the rear end together and putting those billet links to work. Can’t wait to see them swing an axle up and down! Thanks for the support so far.... and don’t worry #trophyfj is not dead! It just takes time to work to fund the dream and then time to execute it....

trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

Shock mount area starting to go from solidworks to paper to metal first steps towards getting to the “rolling chassis” phase. Can’t wait to see this thing on tires, on the ground. Step by step we’ll get there.

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

#billeteverything! haha!

Awesome man.
Pickuptrucker
Bronco Info: 1982 c6, 9" gears, lockers,

Post by Pickuptrucker »

Sweet keep the updates coming!
trophyFJ

Post by trophyFJ »

My billet links finally mounted and connected to the massive Currie TT spec rear end. (4” diameter tubes,10” ring gear, floating axles) Billet Jamar hubs. As you can see not much left of the original FJC. The main cab minus most of the floor and about 3 feet of original frame rail .... the rest of the frame rail is custom. 37” tire will have plenty of upgrades thanks to the new rear frame.