The Taco.

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

The Taco.

Post by Becks_Bronco »

I've now owned two Jeeps, and two Broncos. This is my first non Big 3 car. I have to say, i really do like it.

ImageImage

manual everything, this i like.
Becks_Bronco

Re: The Taco.

Post by Becks_Bronco »

New plugs and wires, courtesy of the local Toyota dealer.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

2nd mod, new brakes.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Installed a switch panel where the cd storage tray would normally go. Saving my pennies for an sPod to run all accessories.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Coilovers and Camburg upper arms installed. Still on the hunt for a set of rear leafs. Got the Kings used, and rebuilt with the help from another Taco guy.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

New wheels and BFG KO2's. The fender trim has to go...

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

The tacos of this era are good trucks. Mine was full manual as well - 4 banger, 5 speed & manual t-case etc. That truck has some get up & go for a 4 banger on 33's and not being re-geared. Sometimes I actually miss it!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

I call it the mountain goat. Haven't found a place yet it really couldn't go haha. True rock crawling of course is out of the question though.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

I love me some Tacos!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

It'll crawl a little bit... Flatten the rocker on mine out in Landers chasing a buddy. His '75 F-30 was LS powered & on 44's. While I couldn't go everywhere he could the little yota did chase him around quite a bit.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

I've always really liked Tacomas. They are surprisingly quick!
F1Brendan
Bronco Info: It's a non Bronc! the bronco's larger cousin with a bed, a 95 f1

Post by F1Brendan »

What wheels are those? I dig them! Cool little truck.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

F1Brendan wrote:What wheels are those? I dig them! Cool little truck.
Made by a company called Stealth Custom Series. Come in exclusive Toyota fitments.

Thanks!
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Picked up some new headlights. Was going to have some retrofits done by Tony, but i just wasn't feeling the way they looked on this truck. We decided to just stick with standard clear housings, and I'm going to try out some LED bulbs. Really cleaned up the front of the truck. My 15 year old lenses and bulbs were about as bright as a few fireflies in a jar.

The front ride height is at about stock, and with the new tires, and 3.5" backspacing on the SCS's, i was rubbing like a madman on the mudflap bolts. Time to raise up the front. I started with 3/4" preload. Will see how it goes from there.

Also took a few minutes to paint the ugly axle ends peeking out the center of the rear wheels. I want to eventually swap to rear discs, so i didn't bother doing anything special with the drums.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Threw one of my wheels into the bed to see what it would look like with the spare there. Really liking it, has kind of an old school Hilux vibe too it, and doesn't block rear view too badly. Took the opportunity to drop the kings out and see what kind of real world travel i'm getting with the Camburg uppers. Measured out to nearly exactly 10". Doubt my little 4.5" travel Kings will cycle that much, but i could if they do :)

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

This is seriously the best $35 i've ever spent. Can finally adjust the coilovers on the truck. Ride height adjustments have never been this easy. 10" of mind blowing front suspension travel. TT/Class 1 here i come!

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Spent most of the weekend painting and installing a set of 01-04 fender flares i managed to snag from someone who's truck was totaled with front end damage. Mine just had the DLX fender trim, and with the new wheels and tires, i wasn't a big fan of the tire/fender relationship. Should help cut down on water being thrown in the rain, and mud, rocks etc from being whipped at my elbows while driving offroad.

My GF was super impressed by my genius idea to wash them in the tub. Once I got the flares clean, i grabbed some satin black paint, and spent an evening putting a few coats on one of the front flares, as they are smaller and wouldn't waste as much paint if i didn't like them. Ended up being a good call, because it was more gloss than not, and every flaw, nick, and scratch showed through brilliantly. Time for plan B.... Plastidip. Worked awesome. Even has some nice little texture to it. Will be relatively easy to touch up from trail scuffs.

Also, i ordered new flare pads online. Took some searching, and digging around, but i was able to find part # 75696-35020. I thought this was for the rear fenders, and would be longer than needed for all of them, so i ordered four. More on this mishap later.... Also, since i don't have the pre-punched holes in my fenders, but still wanted a little more piece of mind, i grabbed some "EXTREMELY STRONG" Scotch double sided tape. We will see how that claim holds up over time.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Before i could install the new flares, i had to take off my dinky OE DLX chrome baby flares. More like cholo fender trim than anything else, but a 10mm wrench and some time, and they were off. Not surprisingly, the fender behind it was filthy with 15 years of dirt and dust. These wonderful flares are up for sale if anyone wants them. I'll hold onto them for a while, but they'll eventually go in the trash.

Took a little simple green, water, and quick detailer to clean up the paint. The old trim doesn't have any pads, so there's a wonderful scar in the clear coat on all four corners now. Not a big deal, its not through the paint so it won't rust, and will be more than hidden by the new flares.

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Becks_Bronco wrote:This is seriously the best $35 i've ever spent. Can finally adjust the coilovers on the truck. Ride height adjustments have never been this easy. 10" of mind blowing front suspension travel. TT/Class 1 here i come!

That's a sweet tool!
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Before i could install the new flares, i had to take off my dinky OE DLX chrome baby flares. More like cholo fender trim than anything else, but a 10mm wrench and some time, and they were off. Not surprisingly, the fender behind it was filthy with 15 years of dirt and dust. These wonderful flares are up for sale if anyone wants them. I'll hold onto them for a while, but they'll eventually go in the trash.

Took a little simple green, water, and quick detailer to clean up the paint. The old trim doesn't have any pads, so there's a wonderful scar in the clear coat on all four corners now. Not a big deal, its not through the paint so it won't rust, and will be more than hidden by the new flares.

Looks way better without the trim!