Commercial registered trucks with full back halfed cage?

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Commercial registered trucks with full back halfed cage?

Post by Wrightracing.net »

So here is my non Bronco question. If I got a truck and back halfed and caged it with fiberglass bedsides. Would I still have to register the truck as a commercial vehical, even though it no longer has a cargo compartment or bed?

Then could you register it like our Broncos? I was just wondering if anyone with a fully truck has done this in CA?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Commercial registered trucks with full back halfed cage?

Post by SteveG »

I don't know but I would guess you can register it as non-commercial since it's lost it's load carrying capacity. I wonder about the extra attention it brings, too, though.

Interesting question.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Whether it makes sense and whether you have the fortitude to go through the process with the CA DMV is the question! Much easier to get it re-classified with a new empty weight and a friendly weighmaster, since that's what they base the fees on. I know somebody with a 4200# super duty and the fees are quite reasonable.

I know I can find a 100 people that have converted their street vehicle to OHV only but 8 months later and the same number of trips to the DMV offices I have nothing more than a handful of temporary tweaker stickers to show for it. I do have a direct number to contact at the main offices that is "working on it" so I am hopeful!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Absolutely! As we all know, every single trip to DMV is different and nets you different results and conflictin info. Furthermore, one bad trip to DMV can send your project to "never gonna get registered" land.