Oldbaja. Chase

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: Oldbaja. Chase

Post by dtbback »

That's not too bad at all. Wire wheel then some Por 15 and boom no more worries!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

not bad on the rust. As you said clean it up & get something on it. My vote is epoxy primer & spray on bedliner over that. Not sure you want to take it that far though.

As for the core support & supercab in the yard - I'm all for buying complete trucks to get the parts I need. Well... I used to be till I ran out of room. Still, it's a great way to do things. Core supports pretty much bolt back & forth between the years, but there are radiator mount differences from 2wd to 4wd and then the headlight differences between 73-77 & 78/79. I'd say if you want the 78/79 grill then maybe pick up a core support from those years to save yourself a little figuring & drilling (although it really isn't bad from what I've been told).
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

Grant.JPG
Ok , I think the worst item on the truck was the old weather-worn steering wheel. I had an old single cab that I picked up for free and it had a steering Column with a Grant steering wheel. So, no brainer out with the old and in with the sexier not as old. I think this maybe the first time I installed a wheel correctly with front tires, spokes on wheel and bolts, clocked right and everything headed straight down the road.
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

Grant.JPG
Grant.JPG (220.44 KiB) Viewed 762 times
Quailhunter

Post by Quailhunter »

OK guys would his vintage of 8 lug ford wheel have a 8x6.5 lug pattern?
image.jpg
image.jpg (67.08 KiB) Viewed 739 times
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Those look like newer ('99-newer) SD wheels with the metric bolt pattern.

Todd Z.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yes Rob - you have 8x6.5, and Todd is most likely right. BUT...! The E series, 8 lug vans didn't go metric like the trucks did, & I'm pretty sure those wheels were offered on the vans, so there is a SLIM chance those could be 8x6.5.

These ARE 8x6.5 though & look dead sexy. Plus I know where to find a set or 6 if needed...
8 lug alcoa.jpg
8 lug alcoa.jpg (118.98 KiB) Viewed 717 times
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Yes, I love those wheels too! I see them on the 90s trucks in the yards from time to time too.

Todd Z.
Quailhunter

Post by Quailhunter »

Thanks Todd, I would really like to find some steel 8 lug Jackman's 16" or 16.5s. If you run across any or know anyone who has some , please let me know.

Steve, Thanks!...... but I'm strange when it's wheels. I have a picture in my mind I'm working with.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Maybe this will help you visualize...

Not the greatest pic by any means, but the only one I have while I had them on.
12-20-07 crew w 5 spoke.jpg
12-20-07 crew w 5 spoke.jpg (87.74 KiB) Viewed 698 times
Quailhunter

Post by Quailhunter »

Steve......do you have those alloy 5 spokers in 8x6.5??
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Nope. Sorry. That pic was taken in 2007. Those things were sold when I found my 1st set of the 8 hole ones I pictured above a long time ago. While the 5 spokes don't look bad to me in that pic now, I remember not liking the look at the time. Center/bolt pattern seemed so big that you really didn't get they were a 5 spoke IMO. It's like the regular Alcoa 5 spoke version. Loved them on my supercab but the 8 lug ones just looked "off".

These are a strong wheel though. They are made for Ford by Alcoa & are forged.

The ones above in my pic had been machined & sleeved so as to change the lug pattern since they were originally metric. A wheel shop up in Long Beach used to so this for $25 per wheel. It can still be done easily, just not sure of cost as it takes a mill to do it right & finding a tire/wheel shop that actually knows how to use one of those any more is a long shot. But if you know a good shop that can o it, it may be worth grabbing the wheels you pictured & having them converted.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Here's a pic of the steel sleeves they insert in the wheels to convert the pattern. These are the 8 hole design alcoas off a 2001ish Super Dookie that a buddy now has on his 70's chevy.
Alcoas sleeved 2.jpg
Alcoas sleeved 2.jpg (84.31 KiB) Viewed 688 times
Quailhunter

Post by Quailhunter »

Steve, thanks for info and help. I really need to watch what I spend on this truck or I'll be looking for a new wife (metric).
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I can understand that! My point basically was that my buddies have grabbed super dookie alcoas for next to nothing in the past, spent $100 on having them sleeved & had a nice, strong set of wheels they don't have to fib about what they paid for them. May be an option if you find those 5 spokes for $40ish or less a set like I have in the past.
Quailhunter

Post by Quailhunter »

Good point, more options for the list.....Thanks!
Quailhunter

Post by Quailhunter »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:The ones above in my pic had been machined & sleeved so as to change the lug pattern since they were originally metric. A wheel shop up in Long Beach used to so this for $25 per wheel. It can still be done easily, just not sure of cost as it takes a mill to do it right & finding a tire/wheel shop that actually knows how to use one of those any more is a long shot. But if you know a good shop that can o it, it may be worth grabbing the wheels you pictured & having them converted.
Steve, any chance you remember the name of the Long Beach wheel shop?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Sorry but I don't. It was off Cherry is about all I can recall. I had a buddy working for Boeing up there at the time so we'd all give the wheels to him & he would drop them off. I'm pretty sure Global Wheel or Grand Prix here in Newport Beach (right near 18th St. on Newport Blvd.) can do it. I think I've had wheels done by one of those 2 - can't remember which.
I would also think someone down there would have the capability to do this though. Maybe ask John or Darrin if they know someone off hand. A good, old school mom and pop wheel shop is who you'd be looking for.

If not, you can find the sleeves online (they are a steel sleeve with a knurl and have a built in tapered seat for the lug nut), and maybe a normal machine shop could do it.

The 8x6.5 wheel pattern is VERY close to 8x170mm as 6.5" = 165.1mm. So that's 5mm off center line on a 6.5" circle. I would THINK (haven't done this so don't know for sure this is how it's done) the machine shop would just set up the center of the hole for the 8x6.5" pattern & then drill out until it hit the outer limit of the stock, 8x170mm lug hole. This would make maybe a 11/16" to 3/4" hole I'm guessing - maybe smaller, and then the steel inserts press into that. Seems like they might spot face or counter bore the face of the wheel so the lip of the steel insert sits flush with the face of the wheel.
squirelmurphy
Bronco Info: No broncos, but I have a 73 f100 with a big block. Does that count?

Post by squirelmurphy »

I'm sure Steve was talking about Performance Plus in LB. They can do it all, including polishing. I'm pretty sure they still send out stuff for machining, but they have a full polish shop on site, what a mess...

I skipped that, though. I had mine powder coated black. I like them on my van. My van is metric now, it has a super duty axle...long story. I do see them on other E series vans that are the sae pattern, so they are out there. Good luck!
squirelmurphy
Bronco Info: No broncos, but I have a 73 f100 with a big block. Does that count?

Oldbaja. Chase

Post by squirelmurphy »

These are mine in black, slightly dirty, but you get the idea. Image