65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: 65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon

Post by SteveG »

What a week!

Sunday: I get a hair in my ass to lower the car some more. This car has always looked weird because the molding makes it looks like the front is higher than the rear even if it's not... out come the coils. Through a bit of distraction from the kids, I end up lopping off just over a round instead of the half round I intended. Nothing to do now except make the other side match! I was worried at first but it ended up in just the right spot. The car is significantly lower still has enough travel to ride pretty damn well.

I take it out for a test drive on the freeway and notice a bad hesitation when passing at 65-70mph. I let off the gas and get back into it and it goes away. I typically only drive it to work and back (in town), haven't had the car on the freeway in, possibly, months... I figure the choke had stuck on or something like that... nothing to worry about. Right? Sure.

Monday: Drive to work, car runs great. After work I drive the car on the freeway again just in case. Uh-oh. That hesitation is not a fluke. It's still there and is REALLY bad when on the gas hard for more than a few seconds. I throw a fuel filter at it-no change.

Tuesday: pull the carb apart and see what's going on. When I pull the top of the carb, I find the brass pickup tube that is supposed to be pressed into it is not in the upper housing. Sweet. There's my problem... piece of cake. I clean the carb up at lunch and stay after work for a bit to put it back together.

Back to the freeway to test it out. Still hesitating. Crap. I call it a night and head home. I take the offr-ramp near my house and the engine stalls on the off-ramp... traffic coming up behind me, the light is green, I need to get out of the way. It's flooded, I open the throttle, crank, crank, crank, fire... drop it in gear and punch it to get out of the way. I hear BANG! CRUNCH! Stall...! Holy s#%@! I let traffic go around me and roll the car back to get it close to the curb and see a big puddle in front of me. At this point, all the audio info tells me there is a hole in the side of the block and I am done. I call Auto Club to get the car towed back to work. When traffic dies down, I pop the hood and take a quick peek and start to put it all together. The left engine mount let loose, the engine rotated far enough to rip all the shift linkage apart and pull the upper radiator barb out of the top tank. That explains the puddle. I suppose things aren't as bad as I thought but this does put a whole new spin on getting to Billetproof in a few days.

Tuesday evening, post-tow: I drain the rest of the cooling system, pull the radiator and patch the engine mount.
IMG_0014 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0014 (640x480).jpg (179.12 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Wednesday morning: The problems have compounded. I still have my original hesitation plus I have ripped the upper hose barb off the radiator. I call the engine mount good even though it transmits rattles like mad at idle... the least of my worries.

I just happen to have a spare (used and original from '65) radiator I've never tested. I pull it from the shed and head to work a little early. I bolt it in the car and pressurize the cooling system. It is holding so I pour a bottle of Bars Leaks, fill the cooling system and hope for the best. I let it idle of a while at work, everything looks good. Whew! I'm back to square one and it's a good thing!

Wednesday evening: I take a fuel pressure tester home and check pressure at idle, revving, driving and hesitating. It's solid and actually higher than it should be-definitely not my fuel starvation problem.

I say screw it. The car is driveable, I just can't drive it hard and no passing. I can live with that. I install the new shocks on the front end and drive it again... feels good. Much better ride-quality. At least something is going well.

Thursday 5pm: I have to meet in-laws at a local restaurant for dinner in 30 minutes, then head straight home to pack and hit the road. I come full circle and decide to raise the float level (which has been verified at OE specs). I pull the carb, raise the level 1/16" over spec, wash the car and am only about 8 minutes late. No time to test, gotta get home and pack.

Thursday 8pm. We hit the road and the car is perfect. I run it hard and it doesn't miss a beat. Victory!

All this in the name of a lower ride-height. Was it worth it? Heck yeah!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Tuesday evening....
uploadfromtaptalk1379904948649.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1379904948649.jpg (35.72 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Glad to hear you finally got it!
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

Not to jack your thread but I thought I would share a few pics of My Old 63 Sprint, man really loved that car! I also had a 65 Futura , I'll have to find the pics of the 65. Both were super cool, total sleepers! There is guy here in Simi that has a 65 B&M blown sml. block 2dr. Panel Falcon, I know you would dig.
Attachments
scan0015.jpg
scan0015.jpg (112.02 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
scan0009.jpg
scan0009.jpg (219.54 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Great news Steve... I hate those nagging little annoyances... always great to put them to bed!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

9 months later and I still have a bad vibration at idle... haven't been driving it much 'cause that kind of thing drives me nuts. I haven't spent a lot of time attempting to diagnose it but I have verified that it's not the engine... cylinder contribution test, ignition patterns, vacuum, the cooling fan... all good. It doesn't run bad, I just feel everything at idle. Off idle, it smooths out and feels great. I think it's the engine mounts but others with experience say they've never had problems with engine mounts... I think the rubber is just too hard.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

We replaced the shocks on a Flex the other day. The upper mounts looked like them might work well for building some custom engine mounts for the Falcon. A little smaller than I wanted but they totally isolate the mounting bolt and are made of squishy rubber.
uploadfromtaptalk1403066439596.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1403066439596.jpg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Trans mount?
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

SteveG wrote:9 months later and I still have a bad vibration at idle... haven't been driving it much 'cause that kind of thing drives me nuts. I haven't spent a lot of time attempting to diagnose it but I have verified that it's not the engine... cylinder contribution test, ignition patterns, vacuum, the cooling fan... all good. It doesn't run bad, I just feel everything at idle. Off idle, it smooths out and feels great. I think it's the engine mounts but others with experience say they've never had problems with engine mounts... I think the rubber is just too hard.
Is the harmonic balancer OK? I had the rubber blow out of one of those one time but as I recall the vibration got worse with more RPM. I saw in the paper the other day somebody had the same problem at idle and it was traced to the hood vibrating at just the right frequency at idle.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The balancer looks OK. Off idle it's great. No vibration at higher RPM. I'll check it again anyway. What an annoying problem. It all started after the engine mount broke so logic tells me it's tied to that but I haven't been able to pin it down.

In the meantime, I'm going to install these to lower the rear to a
proper ride height. Maybe that'll help!
uploadfromtaptalk1403105803339.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1403105803339.jpg (71.43 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

An inline 6 should be exceptionally smooth. That is one of their strong points. I would think it's something other than mounts.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Ride height correction in progress.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408765480.528501.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408765480.528501.jpg (292.63 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
Cactus Cooler

Post by Cactus Cooler »

Hey found pics of my 65, If I remember correctly I cut a coil and a half off the front springs and a 1" block under the rear (spring under) to get the rake I was looking for.

Oh and again, sorry for my photo bombs of my stuff. just really like the old Falcons! Always wanted a 2 door wagon.
Attachments
these pics were about 20 years ago, hahaa.
these pics were about 20 years ago, hahaa.
scan0060.jpg (258.15 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
scan0058.jpg
scan0058.jpg (244 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
scan0056.jpg
scan0056.jpg (274.41 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The two door wagons are cool. I'm too practical, though, and just can't see having all that car with no rear doors....
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

It's still ugly but the lower it gets, the better it looks. This will do for now but I think Another couple inches lower and I might be satisfied with the stance.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409806932.737759.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409806932.737759.jpg (125.76 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Cactus Cooler

Post by Cactus Cooler »

Are you staying with the 14" rims or going to 15"? I ended up having to roll the fender wells after I put on the 15s with more tire. Falcons are cool! haahaa. Makes me wanna find another.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Sorry, Sean. I never responded to this. I'll probably go to a larger wheel at some point but I'm not sure what size. I'm thinking maybe a 16. Or maybe a 17... we'll see.

So I finally fixed the hesitation I've had for about two years... raised the float level WAY above what I found for a spec a couple years ago and it's gone. Now to fix the annoying vibration at idle. Our annual trip to billetproof is coming up fast... gotta make at least a couple improvements before then.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (29.73 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Good to see you yesterday Steven. I recognized the Squire immediately, then almost as fast thought you may rethink the purpose. How about gutting the 'Splorer and stuffing the running gear under Mr. Falcon?
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

What ever happened with this car?
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.