65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: 65 Ford Falcon Squire Wagon

Post by SteveG »

I didn't get anywhere near as far as I'd hoped tonight. I fought with getting the clearance in the reverse-high clutch clearance for WAY too long. Lots of assembling and disassembling, scrounging for different thickness snap-rings, trying different steels, then figuring out I was way off because the drum I'm using (out of another trans) doesn't work with the piston I was originally using. I figured it would be a piece of cake after that, but I'm still not able to get the clearance within specs... might need to find another snap-ring to get it right. Once that's done, it should go together pretty fast (famous last words). The next hurdle will be to get the end play right. Since this is a conglomeration of several transmissions, I'll need to experiment with thrust washers/shims to get it right. Hopefully some combination of everything have will work.
IMG_3006 (640x480).jpg
IMG_3006 (640x480).jpg (222.57 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
Sleep well, little buddy.
IMG_3008 (640x480).jpg
IMG_3008 (640x480).jpg (211.81 KiB) Viewed 1946 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

The end clearance specs are usually pretty wide, so hopefully you will be OK there. Those special thickness adjustment washers are REALLY expensive, on the order of $50-60 a pop. I ended up just putting some shim material behind the one I had to get it in the ball park.

I am planning on getting the 46RE back in the truck today.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Sweet baby Jesus, it's finally done! Since the last installment, AFTER I had the transmission fully assembled and end play measurements done I started on the valve body. I quickly figured out that my original valve body does NOT fit the case I'd just finished putting together. So then the question was, do I clean and prep one of the later model valve bodies or swap the parts into my original case? After disassembling one of the newer valve bodies I decided it was more complex than this car needs. I cleaned up my original case, put inserts in four trans pan holes (this case has had a bit of a rough life) and swapped all the internals over. The valve body was already clean so I stuck it in the trans and buttoned it up.

Fast-forward a couple days to yesterday morning. I wake up around 4:45 and can't get back to sleep so I figure what the hell, I might as well head to the shop and stick the trans in the car before work starts. I get it all done just before people start showing up, it goes right into gear... woohoo! I clean up my mess, put tools away and head out for a test drive. First and reverse work great but shifting sucks! It doesn't seem to engage second and flares like mad going into third. I parked it in the back, cried inside a little and went about my day. I ignored it the next morning when I did some reading. I was guessing the problem was in the valve body but that didn't make sense because the valve body is incredibly simple (as far as valve bodies go). Finally I came across the band adjustment in my OLD manual and it turns out the newer manual I was using was a couple turns off! The intermediate band was way out of adjustment because the manual I was using was WRONG!!! I was pissed! The good news is it took me 5 minutes to get the car on the hoist and adjust the band. The following test drive? SUCCESS! I've only put about 20 miles on it but shifting is good, no funny noises and no slipping. Woohoo!

Bonus: Both U-joints were binding a bit. I replaced the front joint, removed and greased the rear joint. Both are now butter-smooth and the annoying drive shaft vibration I used to get is completely gone. Things are looking up for our Antioch trip next weekend!
300 wrote:I am planning on getting the 46RE back in the truck today.
So, how'd it go?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Well I only had one case to work with, so glad I didn't have your problems! Got it back in, dropped the jack on my head spreading the frame rails for the crossmember, drove it around for probably 10 miles with no issues but I want to check the codes and pressure ports. It is on DMV non-op anyway. I want to make sure the computer controlled line pressure is actually doing what its supposed to.

Those dang C4's had early and late versions of the cases, and then there was even another case that had the dipstick going into the pan. Some parts interchange, others don't.

There's a trans guy up here that had a C4 on the floor in his shop mounted to a 1000 HP BBC set up for drag racing. For a while and maybe still, C4's were extremely popular drag racing trans. But he would not even sell me parts to use in my circle track trans. Didn't want his name connected in any way because he knew they would not last in that application. Before I finally gave up on it and put in a manual 3 speed, I was rebuilding it every 2 weeks. Would usually turn the planetaries into blue slag. Had to run in low gear to get enough gear reduction for a 1/4 mile circle track. The circle track days were an extreme low budget time, and it was a major deal to pony up the $300 for a scattershield bellhousing. The manual had ZERO issues and lasted through two cars.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I hadn't seen that you replied, Don....
300 wrote:Well I only had one case to work with, so glad I didn't have your problems!
Be very thankful! The latest in the ridiculously long saga that is my transmission goes like this: Assuming (big mistake) that all three extension housings are the same, I grabbed the cleanest one, replaced the seal and put it on the trans. Well, I've been having problems with the trans puking fluid out. At first I thought maybe I just over-filled it. But, I was having problems getting the level right. It was up and down, up and down with plenty of puking in between. I decided it wasn't a fluid level issue and more likely a vent issue. So tonight after work I pulled the car in, got it up in the air and went to check the vent. I distinctly remember seeing it but couldn't remember where! ...searched a few times and nothing. A quick Google image search revealed the vent is on the extension housing on the early models like mine. As you might have guessed, I used a later housing WITHOUT the vent! The later model C-4 has it on the case. In other words, my trans has NO VENT! Sheesh, I can't win! At this point it's all pretty damn funny! The good news is I can swap these in the car in about 30 minutes.

Good news on your trans, Don. I hope my trans rebuilding days will be over by tomorrow evening!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

On the way to Billetproof yesterday.

The back seat chase crew.
uploadfromtaptalk1347717227444.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1347717227444.jpg (58.21 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
The rear view.
uploadfromtaptalk1347717118904.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1347717118904.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

In line this morning.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1347725240918.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1347725240918.jpg (55.65 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

That looks like a bitchen event Steve! Girls are cute with the headsets. Baller status. Lance hook you up?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

yikes wrote:That looks like a bitchen event Steve! Girls are cute with the headsets. Baller status. Lance hook you up?
It's a demo set on loan from Lance. The plan was to have my parents use it in their Rat Rod but mom came down with the flu and wasn't in the mood to have anything on her head. She still stuck it out, though. Sick or not, she was not going to miss the trip!

It's a very cool event. We just got home a few minutes ago and had a blast. The weather was perfect most of the way here... overcast and cool. Perfect for no A/C! It got toasty starting at King City and until we got to SLO. A far cry from last year which was blistering the entire way. it was brutal.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

I LOVE the "chase crew" photo... very nice of the girls and it's in the theme of the weekend! NICE... looks like a great event all the way around.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

BajaF250 wrote:I LOVE the "chase crew" photo... very nice of the girls and it's in the theme of the weekend! NICE... looks like a great event all the way around.
The girls loved it. I ran some tunes through the intercom for them and the novelty of talking through the headsets provided good entertainment for a good chunk of the car ride.

We put another 600-ish miles on the Falcon this weekend without any major issues. The transmission started flaring pretty badly between second and third but we made it home and that's what counts at this point... will tear into the issue soon.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

Man love the Ol coons. I had 2 when I was in my 20s
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Ol coons?
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Fal-coons
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Ah! I ain't cool, so I don't know the lingo....

I'm going to be putting together another trans for the Falcon soon. So far the score is, Steve: 0, C-4: 1.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

What happened?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Not really sure (and not anything new). The problem was there when I first assembled it. The transmission flares when shifting from 2-3 when hot. It works perfectly when cool or just a warm and I drive it every day to and from work every day but it would be nice to be able to drive it on long trips again....

I could be a number of things. A nicked seal, mis-matched parts (multiple donor transmissions... not sure.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The yearly trek to Billetproof is coming up. This year's upgrade will be rear shoulder belts, mounted with custom Mossy Nuts.
uploadfromtaptalk1377578942716.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377578942716.jpg (53.02 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Mossy Nuts!
uploadfromtaptalk1377579105305.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377579105305.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Seat belts installed, ready for our annual trek to Billetproof.
uploadfromtaptalk1378957156865.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1378957156865.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 1403 times