My VERY mild DD

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: My VERY mild DD

Post by dtbback »

Looking good!
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

My VERY mild DD

Post by Tchajagos »

Man!!!! You are making me miss mine so much right now.

I wish I never sold it.
F1Brendan
Bronco Info: It's a non Bronc! the bronco's larger cousin with a bed, a 95 f1

Post by F1Brendan »

Haven't really messed with this thing in a while, got a new DD that I've been playing around with. I've been toying around with throwing some sort of a roof rack on the shell though, maybe to hold a spare 35" and mount a jerrycan and some led floods to. I'd like to be able to run a spare somewhere on camping trips, but don't wanna sacrifice bed space with two people generally sleeping in the back. Anyone have any experience with something like that? My main concern is fatiguing the shell, though it seems much more rigid than other styles I've had in the past.
Here's acouple current pics of the big girl too for the heck of it

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Do a bumper with swing out tire carrier.
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

dtbback wrote:Do a bumper with swing out tire carrier.
Shoot, that's an idea!
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

Okay guys, so I made a super bonehead mistake replacing my water pump. As opposed to using the plate to pump gasket during install I.e:
Image8B88514D63B_zpsuicbsijs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
I used the plate to timing cover seal, I.e:
Basically all I'm asking is, how important is it to have used the correct seal? There's plenty of rtv around the seals to keep coolant from leaking anywhere besides internally into those odd little separate chambers. I can't see it being a HUGE issue, I'm game to change it all back, I'd just prefer not to after a whole day of wrenching and cursing haha.
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

Oops, this is the gasket I was supposed to use Image
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

USE the correct tool for the job bud.
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

dtbback wrote:USE the correct tool for the job bud.
Yeah, yeah. I hear ya, and I know it won't be too bad with all the effort I put in today breaking bolts free and cleaning threads and stuff. Do I think it'd really make much of a different in actuality? Not really, but it feels half assed leaving it alone.
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

So over the past week or so, a chunk of the lower intake gasket right below the thermostat housing decided to eject itself, so she's weeping coolant pretty badly. Any advice for anything else I should tackle while I'm in there? Thinking about pulling the heads, having them checked and the bottoms resurfaced, and doing new gaskets and ARP bolts, and while the tops torn down I'll have the room to jack up the engine and do an oil pan gasket. Shoot any other general maintenance or simple upgrade ideas at me if you can, its help me form my plan of attack. Thanks! As a refresher, it's a MAF 351 with 180k, purrs like a kitten though and doesn't appear to have any internal issues or major signs of wear, plugs look great and all.
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Wouldn't waste my time on doing heads or the top end unless you want to do a overhaul. Just replace the intake gasket and use black silicon in place of the end seals. Replace the T-stat and bypass hose.
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

Truck is for sale, needs work. Check out the ad in classifieds
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

Vacuumed out the cylinders, checked for debris with an inspection scope, and started rotated the motor back and forth by hand in a last ditch effort last week. The motor turned, threw it back together and it runs like a top, guess it's not for sale unless someone has a lot more money in their pockets haha. Pretty stoked.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

F1Brendan wrote:Vacuumed out the cylinders, checked for debris with an inspection scope, and started rotated the motor back and forth by hand in a last ditch effort last week. The motor turned, threw it back together and it runs like a top, guess it's not for sale unless someone has a lot more money in their pockets haha. Pretty stoked.
Great news....and that's what I would have done. Be sure to thank your Dad for knocking some sense into you. Hahaha!
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

Trust me, he made sure of it haha. Sorry for being a pain in the ass, thanks though man!
zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

Glad to hear she's back on the road!
Potato.
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

Threw some extended/ braided lines that I’ve had for years on this pig finally! How do people generally get them to clear 35s on stock wheels though? I’m rubbing on turns. I seem to remember an old picture of Taylor’s Truck when it was on coils with the lines somehow hooked on the coils? Any help would be appreciated since I just zip tied them back ..
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I've zip tied mine in the past and then also done a plastic "line clamp" type setup (like an adel clamp) off the coil as well.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

Cleaned up the interior a little, new headliner, done light out of an older Taurus (bolts right in), and an OHSHIT handle out of an obs Chevy. I know, I know, sacrilegious haha.
Attachments
3D8A1D1E-0A00-407B-9488-1CBEDB9F4354.jpeg
3D8A1D1E-0A00-407B-9488-1CBEDB9F4354.jpeg (219.29 KiB) Viewed 649 times
F1Brendan

Post by F1Brendan »

Any recommendations for a new steering box? Should I waste my money on a redhead or go for a stock reman? Any recomendations for those either? Thanks!