Coueshunter Lightning build

Coueshunter
Bronco Info: 96 bronco in the strarting

Coueshunter Lightning build

Post by Coueshunter »

I am starting a build thread for my 1994 Lightning. The plan is to have a very capable rig while retaining the stock bed....For now. LOL I am not sure on whos arms Ill go with up front Threat or solo... who knows. Deavers in the rear... It will be clean when done.

I am very anal about the condition of my vehicles. Before I begin to mod them, They have to be mechanically sound. They also have to be very clean. I am very meticulous about how my vehicles look.

I was looking for a good deal on a clean Lightning. Looked at quite a few. Drove to California to look at a couple and the Lightnings were not as described and photographed VERY well. I found this Lightning on Ebay and after chatting with the owner he seemed very shady. I decided to blow him off. When I told him I was not interested as he could not supply me with detailed photos and a vin he got me them right away and said he was busy. I looked real hard at the photos and it seemed to be a good enough Lightning for the price. I called a buddy and we hopped a plane to Portland.
Got picked up and headed to see the Lightning. There were a few things wrong with it and we negotiated a price and we were on our way driving back to Phoenix. Changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, checked the tires and 1500 miles later we were in Phoenix. the only event of the entire trip was the drivers window went down and would not go back up. Not bad as with total trip expenses I was in the 107k mile Lightning for $3k back to my door.

Once home I had plans to get the rest of the Maintenance done on this Lightning. Time for another oil change, coolant flush, rear end change, tranny drain and fill, brake fluid and power steering flush, new brakes and rotors, cap and rotor, wires, plugs and the works. Basically I like to be at square one when I buy a vehicle so I know what has been done.

Friday I was driving home and stuck on the freeway for an hour for an accident. Thats when the tranny fluid began to dump out the bell housing. I pulled it over and never did i completely run out of fluid while trying to go. i am hoping I can replace the pump and seal and will be good to go. the tranny fluid is still red and does not appear burnt or stink.

In the Mean time i did a ton of other stuff. Heres a few pics of the Truck picking it up up until now.

You will notice a pattern here on the trip back with my copilot.....

My daughter said she approves!

So shes home in the garage. i started on pulling the tranny and got that accomplished.... Not without some swear words and deciding that I need a new midpipe now. The stocker was not coming out without cutting it.

I removed the bed rails, euro light covers and started on the interior clean up. New bushings in the window regulators, removed the old ass tint, Cleaned all the carpet and seats. I will be laying sound deadoner and reinstalling the interior tomorrow. One thing I dont have is the liner between the door panel and the door. I am hoping Ill be ok without it and lay fat mat over the big holes.

Coueshunter

Re: Coueshunter Lightning build

Post by Coueshunter »

I honestly do not know how someone could let the interior of their vehicle get this dirty. Especially a Lightning. Good thing I know its just dirt and a little elbow grease it will be good as new.

Completely gutted... GReat feeling... time to get her all cleaned up

While all the interior was out I stripped the tint off the windows as well. It was a clear heat blocking film put on in 1995... the receipt was in the truck still

I also went ahead and replaced both window regulator bushings. Only the drivers was bad but im anal..... do one do them both.

I repainted the grills on the door panels today as they were pretty dingy. The color looks way lighter on the pic then it is. It is a bit lighter then the interior though. I will find a bit darker shade to redo them.

Tomorrow I will button everything up on the interior while I also track down the pump and seal I need for the tranny. Cross my fingers that she holds up just fine till I build a tranny.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Not too shabby of a buy at 3k. You scored! Looks like a very nice start.
Coueshunter

Post by Coueshunter »

Ya, picked it up for $2k and $1k to fly and get her home. Now to work out the bugs an get her dialed to move forward with building it.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

A lightning can be had for 2k!? Sweet!
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Please keep the flames.
Coueshunter

Post by Coueshunter »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Please keep the flames.

Ummm no!
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I think you scored! Converting to TTB or keeping it 2wd?
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

I'll take the flames if you don't want them...

Congratz on the purchase!
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Nice!!!! And I say convert to TTB when you do the new Transmission.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Lemme know when shes a runner maybe we can meet up and shake her down! Im in mesa.
Coueshunter

Post by Coueshunter »

Did the passenger door today inbetween researching the tranny info.

Always start with New fasteners.

As you can see the door panel speaker grill paint matches a bunch better without the flash reflecting. Ill finish up the drivers door and part of the floor tomorrow.

Coueshunter

Post by Coueshunter »

RyanDS650X wrote:Lemme know when shes a runner maybe we can meet up and shake her down! Im in mesa.

Shoot me a text

480-7two1-47eight9
Deven

Im always up for a beer or whatever...... another hand to throw a tranny back in
Coueshunter

Post by Coueshunter »

cs_drums wrote:I think you scored! Converting to TTB or keeping it 2wd?

no, Staying 2wd.... for now!
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Congrats on the purchase! That's a steal for a Lightning. Love the low mileage and my favorite color.

Todd Z.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

big fan of the truck
Coueshunter

Post by Coueshunter »

I was suppose to be getting tranny parts today. Instead I ordered bassani headers an off road y pipe. What gaskets does everyone prefer when mounting these? Back to figuring out the tranny lol
Coueshunter

Post by Coueshunter »

Heres some pics of finishing up the sound deadnor...

Ordered my Bassani Ceramic coated headers and Offroad X pipe

Some other goodies to be installed....

Pretty sure these were the original spark plugs!

Removed the plugs and headers in preparation of getting the Bassani stuff.

Are the stock headers worth anything?

Ordered some plug wire heat shields, percy gaskets, gauges and double pod pillar mount from Summit today.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Don't remember what my 351W manifolds looked like, but it may be a worthwhile upgrade for a stock engine bronco.
Coueshunter

Post by Coueshunter »

Did some more work on the truck today in preparation for getting my other parts in and finishing getting the tranny parts to get it back in... cross my fingers a new pump seal is sufficient. Also replacing the torque convertor just in case it was cracked.

i ordered more Summit parts yesterday that will be here tomorrow. Tranny temp gauge and pillar pod. I also ordered sleeves for my plug wires so they are safe with the Bassani Headers. Speaking of headers. Placed the order on Tuesday and was told they would ship out yesterday putting them here tomorrow. At least then I could install them over the weekend with the other little things.... Just got a tracking number and it says they will be here Monday as they went out today. GRRRRR

I changed the rear diff fluid and cleaned everything up back there. I also opened my cap and rotor I ordered to find I was shipped only a cap..... Replacement will be here Monday. Im like a kid on Christmas when I order parts. And this truck is no different.

Ive had a couple PMs about all the maintenance I am doing. It is what I am... Everything I get gets the over the top treatment. I like everything perfect.

If you want you can breeze through this build thread..... its an OBS Diesel

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums ... p?t=141563