Go fast trail rig F150

Mr. VanDii
Bronco Info: 1988 F150 4x4 Short wheel base

Re: Go fast trail rig F150

Post by Mr. VanDii »

I think it is also easier to unbead on a wider rim. I haven't gotten that far yet, so it's still in the air... Get it? Because the truck? It's... I'm sorry...
Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

Got my beams in yesterday. They look a hell of alot more beefy than my old ones. Next up for these will be powder coating. What color should I do here?

Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

I am a bit concerned about the "back" "top" and "bottom" of these beams. I thought it was all supposed to be plated and gusseted. I contacted Dave about this and will hope to get an answer soon.

Both uniball cups look like this.

I thought this area on both beams was supposed to be boxed

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with them. I can't wait to put this stuff on! But I will have to be patient with them if I want to do it right.
Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

Onward to some redneck fab work. I was poking around the local salvage yard when I came across these rims. They are from a Dodge pickup. The bolting location is correct and they're 16" rims, so they'll fit the free set of tires I got from a buddy. The hub boar, however, is too small. SO, let's do something about that.

Here WAS the plan. use the wood as a guide for the hole saw and drill out the rims. I would turn the center bit around as to not drill the wood out any more in line up the bolt holes on for the lugs on the wood. It'll work perfect, right? RIGHT?

Unfortunately, we all make mistakes...

This is not working out very well.

I had finally made it through, But it was not stable and would not line up as well as I had hoped.

I eventually broke out the cutting torch and made the job much easier. There was a ridge on the inside of the of the rims that allowed me to make a nice circle. I used a grinder to clean it up. In short. Don't try to modify your rims like this! It sucks!!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Hole saws tend to wander as they cut & those rims ar thick, so not surprised you had a tough time with it. BUT - it works & got the job done so you're fine.

As for the beams - let us know what Dave says. My guess is the plate work is some sort of upcharge/extra.
Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

I got an email from Dave. Here is the part about the plating and gusseting.

"I only hard face the C&T beams. No need to plate the back side near the uniball cups do to the way we install them. Some company's cut the whole end off and are forced to add the gussets. We don't like to do that. You can add them yourself though if you would like but it is definitely not needed for C&T beams."

I think that I agree and disagree at the same time. I noticed that most C&T beams are not plated or trussed at all. So that part is overkill, makes sense to me. As for the uniballs. I don't see in anyway how they (the beams) would install differently. I will be side-loading this rig alot and it will need a gusset on the cups.

So there ya go!
birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Go fast trail rig F150

Post by birdco85 »

The whole backside of my passenger beam is plated in and the uniball cup in the driver side has a small gusset/plate about 3 inches long from the cup to the beam. I'd be worried about the passenger beam though. That's where I hear they like to bend.
Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

I finally got some dinglehoppers in. Time to start fiddling.

Firs things first, we should install the gussets. After a short conversation with Solo Motorsports and a hook up, I got these. Now, I don't claim to be a master welder, nor anywhere near experienced... In fact, this is like my second time ever welding. I think I could benefit from criticism here. But it looks good!.. I think... right? I'm gonna take a flap disk here and smooth out the seams around the uniballs.

Later on today, I will be going to get some hardware. Once I entice a few friends over some beer, I'll take the bed of this truck off and start installing the components. I am still in need of springs and shocks...
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Yea sorry no one cuts the ends off- it was either an oversight to plate those or some other reason. If you have the Cnc machine to cut out the other plated pieces it would add literally 20 minutes max time to that job-- max.

The welding looks pretty good for the second time- the S part on that plated piece is too hot and too slow but it's going to be a-ok. Welding is leaning the machine you are using, practice a solid technique and then practice some more :-). After sine practice your shit will start to look like a pro but there will be days you are just not on-- those days you find another project :-)
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Welds do not look bad. Buuuuut, looks like you welded them with the uniballs in. The Teflon lining in the uniballs is now toast.
Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

I sure did. I have new ones here and thought that keeping the old ones in would help maintain the roundness of the cups.
Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

So, I know what you've been thinking.

"Man, how am I going to go about my life without having an update on this rig?!"

Right?... No? Was I close?... Not even?.... huh...

Anyway, things are wackey here and there. With me learning more and moving to a new location everytime I change my under-drawers, I simply haven't the time to do anything.
I had accumulated parts thanks to the vast interweb and now have everything needed for a mild build AND I picked up a Bronco.

Here is how things have changed. The Bronco will acquire the mid-travel stuff (leafs, beefy c&t beams, shocks and such), slap in some lunchbox lockers, get some bigger tires, and become a nice, reliable and capable DD.

This F150 here is going to become an ongoing experiment for me. I have many crazy ideas including switchable front wheel traction, C&T and extended beams with beefier components (D50 hybrid?) and also become the only go-fast truggy that I know of. Soon, steel will be ordered, things will be bastardized, faces will be palmed, and I... will finally have something to do this winter...

In the mean time, I completed a small prodject so I can redneck it up in my yard. So pictures.... pictures, pictures, pict...ures...
Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

Things got mocked up before I had my change of heart. It all seemed to fit well.

There were some goof in the rear. I called Solo about this and made them aware. No biggie. This will fit great on my Bronco. Plus there's a reason I decided to re-fiddle on this build. You'll see in juuust a moment.

This is close up of the BEST part of the frame. Nothing a good ol' sawzall cant fix.

more to come.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Keep the updates coming!

Not a whole lot a little redneck ingenuity and time can't handle lol
Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Keep the updates coming!

Not a whole lot a little redneck ingenuity and time can't handle lol
I've got ALOT of one and almost none of the other! I'm an A/C guy is Texas, however, will soon have the time to let my imagination (who happens to also take on the persona of a Disney-like villain) loose upon the world.

here's an example!

I was laying awake one night and thought to myself, "I sure would like a place to plug in a compressor, a few tools, a charger, a light, radio, my welder at 230v and a plasma cuter at 230v at the same time..."

Upon discussing his with me friends and family, the general consensus was "GET A SHOP DUFUS!"... I'm a shade tree kinda guy, you see... so no...

Out came the napkin and pen! and this is what I came up with....

This is a high amp RV plug in. It has 3 hot wires and a ground. Coming from this, I have 2 hot wires, a neutral, and a ground.

A plug attached to about 100' of 06/3 wire connects to this..

This box contains 230v 60a plugs and 8 120v 20a plugs.

I can roll this anywhere and attach just about anything.
which is handy because of how crazy my workspace is.

In the first picture you can see the breaker panel in the background (pre-bastardized workplace power connection). I have a 10x20 canopy I can toss over the truck and such, so weather isn't much an issue. This workspace moves all over, for example, I sometimes fab stuff up under the trees you see in the first photo where the trailers are. Other times I'm in the garage in the second photo.

Also, sorry for the terrible quality of pictures... I dun broke my phone.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Excellent. I'm sure there are times it's a lot nicer to work outside anyways. Who wants to be stuck in a stuffy shop?