93 F1 Flareside

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: 93 F1 Flareside

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

looks good, and it's the rule of 4's I think. Everything seems to take me 4 times as long as I planned and cost 4 times as much!
jkrell
Bronco Info: Ford F150 Flareside

Post by jkrell »

Totally agree on rule of Four...much more accurate than double!!

Got quite a bit put back together yesterday, hopefully i'll have enough time to get it back together next weekend.

I was really impressed with the solo shock tower / engine cage. After taking off all the stock buckets I had the solo tower installed and welded on within a few hours, really nicely made and well fitting part, and a HUGE time saver over building the shock mounts. I still need to make the lower bypass mounts, and maybe drop the factory bump stop down a little but aside from that the front is pretty much ready to go back together after just a couple of days of work.

Rear springs installed without too much issue. Its a 2.5" custom spring so I modified the front hangers to accommodate the narrower spring. The spring is designed for a bronco rear, so hopefully will work on the F1. From the looks of things one nice perk of the f1 is there is a lot of room to play with shackle length to adjust ride height, for now i'm running the shackle I was planning to use on my bronco, my guess is its gonna be a bit stink bug. With the stock shocks being the droop limiter right now its got 16" of wheel travel. I'm still thinking if I notch the front fuel tank a bit I can get the same relative shock position with my 12" x 2.5" dirt logics as what is run in the broncos so hopefully I can get similar wheel travel. We shall see.

This has been pretty much the first time i've worked much on an ttb vehicle, so its been a little bit of a learning experience, but its been fun so far. Looking forward to getting it in the dirt.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

jkrell wrote:From the looks of things one nice perk of the f1 is there is a lot of room to play with shackle length to adjust ride height, for now i'm running the shackle I was planning to use on my bronco, my guess is its gonna be a bit stink bug.
Lots more room to play for sure. I think you can even get an 8.5" shackle in the stock hanger on the F-1 if I remember correctly. Move the hanger down/back a bit & things open up even more!
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

Long day yesterday but I got the front end buttoned up and it back on the ground. Lot of shock in a little space but overall really happy with the solo towers and how it came out. I built a new front bolt in cross member and plan to put a skid plate or abs in there to close the area in behind the bumper.

Seems like it sits fairly level, its has more positive caster than I would like but hopefully it will settle a bit if not i'll have to look into alignment cams. Drives pretty good going down the road. Definitely needs some 35" tires and a regear!

jkrell

Post by jkrell »

Crazy how critical toe adjustment is on Ibeam suspension. I wasn't able to check toe on sunday, and just figured the positive camber needed adjusters to fix. I set the toe last night and now camber looks about perfect at ride height.
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

As it sits about 8.25" of bump travel in the front and 12" of bump in the rear. Hoping with added weight of safari rear bumper/larger fuel tank, and with the springs settling a little the back will come down a couple of inches.

The 33" tires also don't look as bad as I thought they would, I may run them for a little while.
PBR
Founder

Post by PBR »

Looks really good Jon!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Ditto. Good looking truck!
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Seconded. She looks bitchin. Hey I notice that you bypass in the rear is angle forward compared to your coilover. Does it bind at all when you cycle it through the travel?
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get the rear done so I can get it dirty.

No binding on the bypass or coil over throughout the travel. The only place it got close was binding at the lower rod end when it was fully dropped out, just played with the tab angle to make sure the uni-ball was oriented right and it travels freely throughout the travel.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Did you build that brace between the sway bar mounts? Did it make a significant difference with frame flex? Awesome build :D
F1Brendan
Bronco Info: It's a non Bronc! the bronco's larger cousin with a bed, a 95 f1

Post by F1Brendan »

This thing looks killer! I love flare sides, especially black. Suspensions looks great too!

And on that brace, they do add some rigidity to the grams, I just threw my stock sway bar mount back on (without the sway bar of course) and it felt noticeably better. These trucks need a support in front of the cross member, the frames tend to develop cracks around the steering box without the proper support, especially if you start throwing 35s or 37s on with stock steering.
F1Brendan
Bronco Info: It's a non Bronc! the bronco's larger cousin with a bed, a 95 f1

Post by F1Brendan »

Frames*
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

Seabass wrote:Did you build that brace between the sway bar mounts? Did it make a significant difference with frame flex? Awesome build :D
Yep I built it, i'm sure it helped with frame flex but kind of hard to tell how much, hopefully enough as I know these trucks have a tendency to crack in the front steering/crossmember areas. I don't think you can see in the pic but I welded a tab on the inside of the frame on each side as well and there is a tab on top of the cross member that bolts to it for additional rigidity. The stock crossmember/sway bar mount is pretty flimsy, and this is a pretty quick fab project so seemed like a good upgrade.
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

Interesting bit of 5.8 cooling issue/info to pass along. When I bought the truck it didnt have a tstat -- which concerned me because I figured the previous owner was hiding an issue. I was right. When I put in a t stat the temp gauge started wandering / spiking to full hot then come back down, this happened continually. I explored a lot of things....air in the system, wrong water pump, full system flush, fan clutch, pressure test, etc. I think I finally figured it out today, I noticed the heater never worked that great, it worked but just wasn't as hot as I thought it should be. Today I bypassed the heater core and all seems perfect. No over heating, temp guage needle is chillin in the middle. I wouldn't think a clogged heater core would cause an overheating issue but seems fixed now. Glad to have found it as I was starting to think head gasket...so a $30 heater core sounds a lot better. Just thought I'd pass along the info in case anybody else had a similar issue.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

jkrell wrote:Interesting bit of 5.8 cooling issue/info to pass along. When I bought the truck it didnt have a tstat -- which concerned me because I figured the previous owner was hiding an issue. I was right. When I put in a t stat the temp gauge started wandering / spiking to full hot then come back down, this happened continually. I explored a lot of things....air in the system, wrong water pump, full system flush, fan clutch, pressure test, etc. I think I finally figured it out today, I noticed the heater never worked that great, it worked but just wasn't as hot as I thought it should be. Today I bypassed the heater core and all seems perfect. No over heating, temp guage needle is chillin in the middle. I wouldn't think a clogged heater core would cause an overheating issue but seems fixed now. Glad to have found it as I was starting to think head gasket...so a $30 heater core sounds a lot better. Just thought I'd pass along the info in case anybody else had a similar issue.

Wow, great catch, a simple heater core. go figure.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

man this is gonna seem like a true idiot question-- does the heater core get engine coolant circulating through it even when the heater is off?
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I absolutely love your flareside btw!
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

VintageIronFab wrote:man this is gonna seem like a true idiot question-- does the heater core get engine coolant circulating through it even when the heater is off?
I believe it does. There is an outlet just behind the tstat housing that runs to the heater core and then an inlet on the water pump (I think i've got that right) and I dont think there is a shut off valve that stops the flow but i'm honestly not a 100% sure on that. Actually, it seems strange to me that a clogged heater core would cause the temp spikes that I was experiencing but i've got about a 100 miles on the trust since bypassing the heater core and its running perfect so it must. Maybe there is another GFB member that can give some more insight into why this would cause my issue?
jkrell

Post by jkrell »

VintageIronFab wrote:I absolutely love your flareside btw!
Thanks!!