Red Baja

donncdrc
Bronco Info: 1996 fullsize

Re: Red Baja

Post by donncdrc »

philofab wrote:How does it feel to sit in and drive with that kick up in the floor under the pedals?

I am not a fan of the pedals being raised up like that but the fire wall was already cut for the master cylinders to fit through. The pedals where just mounted to the aluminum and I am surprised they had not ripped off during hard stop. At least now they are mounted properly but I still might change things later.
donncdrc

Post by donncdrc »

Rmc wrote:I'll make a call for you, my buddy has a body, pan and title. It's a 66 hard top I think. I'll find out.

Any year is fine even a super beetle but the idea is to make it street legal so I do need a title. Let me know, Thanks
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

When you say trophybug are you talking tube chassis mindy and a v8? Or 4 banger? There's a bad ass one on the samba with a toyota22r or some crap for 8k but it's green stickered. I'd grab that and a 500$ shell/title swap n go play street legal. Or you could buy mine and add big engine. Mine has an 091 bus box so you could do any common 4 banger swap.
donncdrc

Post by donncdrc »

I am going to go full tube, ls6, pbs or fortin trans, 3.0 shocks, big hubs etc and try for as bulletproof as possible. I was going to do it a few years back but then I bought a built car for half the price. Even though I could have made it street legal the open cars are not the same. I know a guy who builds cars that can make the VW body fit so he is onboard. I want it to have all the comforts of a Bronco but be able to handle/do more then the Broncos can. I love my bronco for it's versatility but need more of the "wow" factor when I am offroad and by the time I spend the cash to get it I might as well build this car.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

U suck....hope I can get a ride when it's done
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

You may want to check out crumco's stuff he's out of Palmdale and bug are his art. He has prefab beam tube chassis for 2500$ but I'm thinking you may not want off the shelf . If I was you I'd get a convertable cause there's nothing cooler. Here's some pics , pretty dang bad ass for a beam car.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (203.77 KiB) Viewed 609 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (177.57 KiB) Viewed 608 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (171.08 KiB) Viewed 608 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (196.52 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (184.46 KiB) Viewed 607 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (181.47 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

If nothing else it may give you some ideas.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Here's mine these days since were talking bug:
I've since changed the header to a side exit, and I'm mounting oil coolers above. Post up pics when you get started i love seeing anything on steroids for the desert.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (189.53 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Oh and here's the off the shelf chassis crumco sells:
This one is 5 unlimited legal. I'm guessing with an ecotech, mindeola, and everything needed 20k to be a class contender. Bitd and score allow up to 2.3l of any production engine in class 5 now if you had'dnt heard of the regulation changes. Just as an FYI but it clearly sounds like yours is a bad ass toy car vs race rig.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.64 KiB) Viewed 610 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.18 KiB) Viewed 610 times
donncdrc

Post by donncdrc »

Thanks for the info. I have talked with crumco in the past and even looked at a few of his cars and they are very nice. He is a little to far away from me to do a full build with and the guy I know is local and has done good quality work for me in the past . He used to build a high end production car and still has the jig. I want a-arm for sure and I am thinking more class 1 vs 5. There are a few bugs out there along this line that have came up for sale but all seem to be built more like sand cars then race cars . Although I have no interest in racing and probably never will I do enjoy hauling ass from point A to B safely.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Since we're talking Class 1 bugs now. This is my major love in the "VW" world. Dig the looks of the Baja bugs, but never been a real fan other than that looks until my buddy Danny built this. It was his 1 car setup with a stretch bug body on it pretty much. These pics are from 2005. It's been sold a couple times since he originally sold it in '08 I believe.
bug 2.jpg
bug 2.jpg (285.75 KiB) Viewed 556 times

It next to the 1 car. Arms, hubs, etc. would change back & forth between the 2. I put the bulkhead into cad for him years ago.
1 car & bug.jpg
1 car & bug.jpg (210.45 KiB) Viewed 556 times
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Yes F'ING PLEASE
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I know - I WISH!

Danny had 2 kids so he sold it to build a 4 seat something. He's had a bronco or 2 in the past and had talked about building a stretched one, but from what I've seen he's just dropped the thought. He's spent more time on the boat vs. in the dirt. The Toureg builds were the last thing I think he really was focusing on fab wise.
donncdrc

Post by donncdrc »

Love that car! It has been for sale of and on for years. A year or so ago I seriously considered it. It is built well I just don't understand why it has a 2d and not something stronger. If it had a stronger trans it might have been worth the money the guy was asking for it. This is the direction I am going just a little stronger and more refined, roof, power windows,vintage air, etc.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

It had a 2d for cost purposes. He didn't have the cast to go top of the line on a bunch of stuff. Fab he could do really well for low(er) cost as it was just his hours. Hard parts were a different story. He did what would hold up & he could afford. I know there were a couple things he wished could be a bit stronger/better, but a lot of that stuff is pretty big bucks.

I think the guy that was selling it the most recent time I saw it on RDC was asking more than Danny did when it very 1st sold.

And I dig where you are going with the project, it's just 20 lbs. of crap to stuff in a 10 lb. sack. Downfall to bugs is how small they are inside. Hard top versions definitely limit you there.