Stupid duty on beams.........

BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Stupid duty on beams.........

Post by BDKW1 »

Ok, so the new rig is unfortunately 2WD. This does offer some interesting possibility's though as 2WD SD"s are beamed. Mounting points look the same as the OBS F250's. Downside is the lug pattern and smaller brakes that came on the beams. It look like you can swap uprights with 99-04 SD's and swap over everything. Axles might have to be fabed. 05 and up has even bigger brakes but the BJ spread is larger. Might be worth it to move the BJ's on the beams to accommodate the newer stuff as the bearings are much larger along with the brakes.

If anyone has seen the SCORE BFG superduty, it has a similar set-up I believe. It does have beams, but I have never looked it over that closely to see exactly what they did.

Next hurdle would be the T-case. Anybody know how hard it is to swap a 2WD ZF tranny over? What t-case? I would like to put a manual unit on it.

I still have the Fabtech 4" C/O's, so those will be going on the front.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: Stupid duty on beams.........

Post by tcm glx »

BFG Superduty is 4wd. I took several pics from last years NORRA event.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I think I have more questions than answers... What year? What lug pattern currently? What lug pattern are you wanting to get to for the larger brakes n bearings?
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

I have some suspension pics of the BFG superduty on my phone, when I find it I'll try and remember to post pics. I may be mistaken, but I believe the BFG superduty was born 4 wheel drive, and when they got sick of prerunning and course marking in the solid axle truck, they did the work to put it on beams. I do not believe any of the mounting is factory.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:I have some suspension pics of the BFG superduty on my phone, when I find it I'll try and remember to post pics. I may be mistaken, but I believe the BFG superduty was born 4 wheel drive, and when they got sick of prerunning and course marking in the solid axle truck, they did the work to put it on beams. I do not believe any of the mounting is factory.

This is correct!! It was a 4wd solid axle. Now a 4wd TTB

Here is the link, only a few pics, I'll have to dig into my NORRA folder and see if I took more.

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... =24&t=4778
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Rmc wrote:I think I have more questions than answers... What year? What lug pattern currently? What lug pattern are you wanting to get to for the larger brakes n bearings?
It's a 2000, it has the 8 on 170MM that I would like to keep. All of the stupid duty's have this pattern. The older F250 beams are 8 X 6.5...........
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

The beam mounting points are the same as any 2/4WD F150/Bronco & 1980-1997 F250/350 2WDs. Radius arms have the same spread too with the exception of the narrower 2wd F150 stuff.

8x170 Dana 50 hubs can be installed on earlier Dana 50 beams for the correct pattern, I personally would do a hybrid setup.

Dana 44 beams cut just outside the radius arm mounts, 05+ factory long radius arms or fabbed units, 80-97 Dana 50 beam end & knuckle, 2000+ Dana 50 hub with whatever rotor works, ditch the ABS, Dana 50 center and axles, with a coilover mounted off the front of the beam.

ABS could be made to work with some machining to the knuckle and spindle with a later tone ring.

As far as the ZF5, the output shaft needs to be swapped AFAIK. Crossmember will be different too (hangs lower for t-case clearance). If it's anything like the earlier trucks the plate will be there for the t-case shifter and the wiring will be there for indicator lights if you change the trans harness.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Oh, and Brian, if you need any 50 stuff I have 4 or 5 complete/disassembled units laying around here.

I forgot to mention that you will need to play with axle lengths as the offset from center of the 50 pumpkin is different that a 44. The 44 offset will give max bump travel.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

philofab wrote:The beam mounting points are the same as any 2/4WD F150/Bronco & 1980-1997 F250/350 2WDs. Radius arms have the same spread too with the exception of the narrower 2wd F150 stuff.

8x170 Dana 50 hubs can be installed on earlier Dana 50 beams for the correct pattern, I personally would do a hybrid setup.

Dana 44 beams cut just outside the radius arm mounts, 05+ factory long radius arms or fabbed units, 80-97 Dana 50 beam end & knuckle, 2000+ Dana 50 hub with whatever rotor works, ditch the ABS, Dana 50 center and axles, with a coilover mounted off the front of the beam.
THIS!!!! (well, aside from the new hubs for me), and make 2 sets or a fixture at least for the beams. I may be willing to donate/help making it happen.
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

What I would really like to do is cut the ends of a 05+ axle and weld the C's into the ends of the beams. This would give the proper ball joint spread and I would get all the bigger brakes and bearings. Also, stretch beams to match D44 width mounts.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Just through the Giant MS equal length kit on there and call it done haha.
BDKW1 wrote:What I would really like to do is cut the ends of a 05+ axle and weld the C's into the ends of the beams. This would give the proper ball joint spread and I would get all the bigger brakes and bearings. Also, stretch beams to match D44 width mounts.

Why not just do this with Dana 44 beams? Extend the axles using a set of 44s and the stock axles from the 05+. Or you could just machine some chunks for the boll joint and make beams like mine with.
7D6F250
Bronco Info: i drive a 76' F250 and a 09' F350

Post by 7D6F250 »

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

yup - the watermelon...

Pretty sure Brian's seen this & can build better - haha
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

cs_drums wrote:Why not just do this with Dana 44 beams? Extend the axles using a set of 44s and the stock axles from the 05+.

The BJ spread on the D50 beams is much larger than the D44 beams. The 05+ D60 BJ spread is even more than the D50. Putting the 05 C's into D44 beams would not work well, they are just to small at the end. The D50's would be much closer. Also, the D50 beams are much heavier duty and I want the bigger diff.........