Old school

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Old school

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Well as most know i am tearing down my bronco and off to another project. A little background first. Its an old late 60s sand rail my parents bought many moons ago. I had alot of fond memories as a kid cruising the dunes with my dad. It was in fact the first standard trans i ever drove. My dad was talking with me a few weeks ago and told me he wanted to sell it. I asked how much and really never got a response. Last weekend i told him i wanted to pick it up since it was sittin collecting dust. I figured i could use it until he sold it. Well when i hot there he handed me both pink slips with a smile and said merry Christmas.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1385352693169.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1385352693169.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
hobbyturnedobsession

Re: Old school

Now for the fun stuff. Its got a 2210 thats not even fully broke in yet. Dual webbers either 40s or 44s and a stock vw trans. First on the list is replacing the seats with the suspension seats from the bronco along with new belts. Then a tune up and some dirt tires. After that a bus box instal and new suspension.
crisis88
Bronco Info: 94 fsb stock

Post by crisis88 »

Very nice Randy! Let me know if you need any help. Seeing as air cooled vw and long travel vw are my first love.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385354920.539170.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385354920.539170.jpg (79.15 KiB) Viewed 2291 times
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Nice! that'll be a blast at the Pismo gtg.
hobbyturnedobsession

Thank you Jose i just might! I need to yank the old torsion housing and replace with an irs style housing so any tip is helpful.
crisis88
Bronco Info: 94 fsb stock

Post by crisis88 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Thank you Jose i just might! I need to yank the old torsion housing and replace with an irs style housing so any tip is helpful.
Easy peazy! I've done it a few times.

For some other good air cooled info check out the off-road section at shoptalkforums.com
hobbyturnedobsession

Sweet! I will thank you Jose.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Randy,

I'm selling some new 3x3 trailing arms on the cheap. PM me if you're interested.

Chris
hobbyturnedobsession

Pm sent Chris
93Broncobuff
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's

Post by 93Broncobuff »

Yeeeeaaa buddy!
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

If you need a trailer for that thing my friend just sold his sand rail and is selling his trailer for 500$, may be worth checking out if you don't have one.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

He got a trailer with it.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Oh gotcha. Just looking out.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Looks like a cool ride..... special that it has been passed down through the family!! GOOD STUFF!
greaslife
Bronco Info: Home built is the way too go even if they don't like it.

Post by greaslife »

This is going too be fun. Knowing Randy it won't look like this for long. We'll be chasing him through the desert agin soon and I for one cant weight.
hobbyturnedobsession

Thanks guys! I wasnt sure if i was goin to keep the frame but cruising home with it in tow just reminded me of how i got into the offroad craze. Now im goin to keep it and make some um you might say adjustments.
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Randy,

Wow, how awesome... I love those old rails... they are a TON of fun in such a nice small package. Just for your Rolodex, Bill at Mirage built and raced torsion bar buggies and is THE expert on suspension and setup... he still manufactures quite a bit of suspension parts and has in his archive shelves some really nice specialty parts. A little known fact about Mirage...
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Well as most know i am tearing down my bronco and off to another project. A little background first. Its an old late 60s sand rail my parents bought many moons ago. I had alot of fond memories as a kid cruising the dunes with my dad. It was in fact the first standard trans i ever drove. My dad was talking with me a few weeks ago and told me he wanted to sell it. I asked how much and really never got a response. Last weekend i told him i wanted to pick it up since it was sittin collecting dust. I figured i could use it until he sold it. Well when i hot there he handed me both pink slips with a smile and said merry Christmas.

This brings back a ton of memories!! My dad use to build about one of these every season when we lived in el Centro.....we would spend all of our free time out in Glamis!!! Good stuff Randy, I'm sure you guys will really enjoy it!!
hobbyturnedobsession

Wow thank you Tom for the info! Itll be alot of fun, we'll get plenty of enjoyment out of it. Tony we went to Glamis at least 7 times a year when i was a kid. That is where i found that i am at home in the desert. Ive been stripping a few things down before thanksgiving. I have alot of work to do in two days but I am chipping away. I quickly found that my prp seats wont fit and Carly refuses to let me just recover the ooold seats so were dropping by pacific customs to maybe find a new set. Old buggies dont have much room.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

That's an awesome family heirloom Randy.... love it!