The Next Big Thing....

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: The Next Big Thing....

Post by SteveG »

Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it.

I got this new contact ring in the mail from Grant today. Grant has long discontinued the cruise control compatible kit for Explorers and Rangers but one of the guys at Grant dug up the pieces and made one for me. Very cool.
uploadfromtaptalk1399922333232.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399922333232.jpg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Well here's a good temporary solution to potential battery issues due to the fridge. This little bad boy will crank and start the engine even with the battery disconnected.

MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

That jumper batt also has the potential to burn your rig to the ground. Keep it dry and where it wont get banged around. Just hook some of your RC car batts in series. That will probably crank it.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

MOSS2 wrote:That jumper batt also has the potential to burn your rig to the ground. Keep it dry and where it wont get banged around. Just hook some of your RC car batts in series. That will probably crank it.
The RC batteries can burn it, too! They all make me nervous and are kept in a metal box all on their own.

I considered making an adapter to use the RC batteries but this comes in a convenient package with a bunch of handy adapters.... I'll get a LiPo bag to store the jumper in.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Evidently, the cord I ran out to the car to keep the fridge running got disconnected a few days ago. I went out to use the car (and fridge) tonight for a Costco run and the battery was so dead it wouldn't run the LED dome lamps. The little jumper worked like a champ! The engine cranked and started with ease. The unintended test isn't great for the car battery but it's good to know the jumper will work!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

So I added a hard-wired connector for the jumper. This way if I'm ever in a real bind, I won't lose as much voltage or cranking amps through the mini-jumper clamps. It uses a connector that's common in the RC world... picked some up at my local hobby shop. I also made one for the Falcon.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Photo attachment fall... Maybe later.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Threw a link to using aftermarket guages above for your explorer if you ever go that far. Just though of you exploder fans when I saw it.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I picked up four of these totes on the way to TJ Thursday morning. This morning I loaded our camping supplies into them to see how it was going to work out. So far, LOVE THEM. They are a great size. Big enough to fit a good amount of gear but small enough to make it hard to load so heavy they're a pain in the ass to move. They also interlock really well which is something I've been looking for for some time now.

They fit perfectly next to the fridge.
uploadfromtaptalk1404011996814.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1404011996814.jpg (56.25 KiB) Viewed 908 times
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Those are south african ammo boxes.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:Those are south african ammo boxes.
Yup. And they rock.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Those are awesome Steve! Economical?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

yikes wrote:Those are awesome Steve! Economical?
At $40 a piece, I'm going to say, no. But, compared to something like a Pelican case, yes. They do stack a lot better than the Pelican cases, though.
SteveG
Admin

The Next Big Thing....

Post by SteveG »

The Explorer @ Hummerfest says, "Military , high-grade vehicles... I can hang."
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407034849.001815.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407034849.001815.jpg (256.06 KiB) Viewed 826 times
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I decided that was too much work. I'm throwing these on as-is. Three more leaves per pack. We'll see where that puts me.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409105863.976534.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409105863.976534.jpg (134.52 KiB) Viewed 719 times
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

SteveG wrote:I decided that was too much work. I'm throwing these on as-is. Three more leaves per pack. We'll see where that puts me.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409105863.976534.jpg
Probably better anyway Steven. The muffler guy forgets to mention that their version of a 4" lift will sag to 2" in a few months rearching that way. I guess that's why they use the speed of vee-oh-la instead of Viola! which uses a final oil temper bath called wha-la.....

Not sure if it's even still there but as kids we used to use a place on Sunset Blvd. called Hollywood Spring down a creepy alley between two buildings in the middle of the city. In 1979 the guy was all about quenching and military eye wraps. He made custom packs for my 1982 Toyota 4x4 with 40" tires on it. I must have had you in mind when we were jumping that thing on the beach in those days.

In any case, let's get that Explorer prepped for the beach soon bud!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

1Hondalover wrote:In 1979 the guy was all about quenching and military eye wraps.
As I'm told, none of the mainstream desert leaf spring builders heat treat after building or "prepping" leaf springs. It's a wonder they hold up as well as they do.

I could have had our local spring shop re-arch these but this is not that kind of rig. This is an ultra low buck go-slow kind of thing. Ready for Pismo... yup. The tank is full and the fridge is cold.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

No fun work on the Explorer as of late. I did replace the leaking clutch slave last week, though. Including everything that goes along with it... Clutch kit, clutch master, etc. It didn't really need a clutch but it does take off smoother now....

I did make a good upgrade tonight and it was super easy, too. I have an old Pioneer deck in the car. It works a and sounds good enough but has no aux port on the front and certainly no Bluetooth. Until now! I installed a Bluetooth module just a few minutes ago... relatively easy install. Remove radio, solder into ground and switched wires, connect to RCA jacks, stick on back of radio and reassemble. Only about 25 minutes worth of work and a no more plugging in every time I get in the car. At the moment I still need to manually connect (not pair) with the Bluetooth module but I think I can make I automatic in my phone.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418446115.632728.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418446115.632728.jpg (136.6 KiB) Viewed 537 times