The Next Big Thing....

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: The Next Big Thing....

Post by SteveG »

Thanks, guys. I'm super stoked about it. Carrying enough food to feed a family of 4 for more than a couple days was getting tough and I hate soggy food... no more of that nonsense! Have fridge, will travel!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Here's another small update. As I've said before, storage space is at a premium in this thing. There are some areas in the back of the car that are nothing but dead air. You can see in the photo I cut a hole in the side panel. I plan to make either a canvas bag to line it with or have an HVAC guy in town build me a box for it.

I also pulled the mostly useless factory storage pocket at the rear of the panel and found quite a bit of space back there. I'm thinking about putting a small second battery back there. A group 58 is just barely too big... I might be able to make it fit by cutting the mounting tabs at the bottom of the battery.
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG (191.91 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Also, have I shown you guys my new fridge?
PB020001 (640x480).jpg
PB020001 (640x480).jpg (123.04 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

What are the red bottle looking tops? Extinguishers? That fridge looks pretty big, the back seat will remain intact?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Rmc wrote:What are the red bottle looking tops? Extinguishers?
MSR Fuel bottles... for my small camping stoves. Also, what I happened to have nearby for the photo.
Rmc wrote:That fridge looks pretty big, the back seat will remain intact?
64qt, according to the manufacturer... larger than what I was looking for but a better fit for 4 people if you ask me. I looked at a 50qt ARB and while I liked the exterior dimensions (significantly smaller), it really was a lot smaller than I was expecting. I think this size will work out really well. As for the rear seat, it's up in this photo... fits great. I did a test fit with our camping gear today and it fits with a few inches in front and enough space behind it to keep a 5 gallon jerry can (water).

Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Like a glove,near perfect fit! That should work out really well for you and the crew. Is it a big deal with the cooling fans for those things? I guess I mean given the small space of the cab I hope the cooling fan for the compressor isn't like a heater back there. Looks great to me but I just saw in my head was a external vent like an rv. If it turns into a fridge/passenger cooker id build a insulated containment box with a fan to blow the heat out the side of the truck.

Mostly I'm just thinking out loud about something I know nothing about. I'm curious to see how you like it. Looks great man.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Well the heat's gotta go somewhere, so it makes sense that it would heat the cab in the process. But, lots of people use these inside SUV's, so I imagine it'll be fine. I'm guessing the car's A/C has more capacity for cooling than the fridge puts out heat. I've been told to keep the windows cracked on hot days while running the fridge... probably to vent heat.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Again man I know nothing about refers or there heat output, just thinking out loud. When you get it all wired and trail tested I may follow suit. It's a heck of a luxury amenity that's for sure. The progress is good, keep it up. I'm also very curious about the solar panel detail I'm watching attentively to see what's involved.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Glad to give a GFBer a deal than sell it in the paper. Great to see it fits well. My smaller fridge doesn't give off alot of heat, but yours being larger may give off some more.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Locked and loaded for Death Valley. Leaving at 0700 hours.
uploadfromtaptalk1397706307066.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1397706307066.jpg (45.88 KiB) Viewed 811 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Good grief! I'm assuming the kitchen sink is in there some place? Jk
Don't forget to snap some pics, have fun and be safe.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Sheesh, that's a light load... no sleeping/shelter gear!

As for the kitchen sink, I am still on the hunt for a wash basin... can't decide if I want a tote or a collapsible vinyl one.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

A group U1, 22NF, 51, 51R, or 151R would fit back there.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:A group U1, 22NF, 51, 51R, or 151R would fit back there.
Copy that. I was leaning toward a 51 just because they're common and cheap. I'll look into the others. For now that's on hold. If I'm careful, I can get away without an extra battery but the added security would be nice. For the time being, I ordered one of those "anti-gravity" jumpers. We'll see how that goes.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

More ghetto / scrap rescue add a leafs.
uploadfromtaptalk1399253783185.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399253783185.jpg (54.27 KiB) Viewed 720 times
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Coming along sweetly...and that fridge is nice. Solar panels on the roof next?
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

SteveG wrote:More ghetto / scrap rescue add a leafs.
uploadfromtaptalk1399253783185.jpg

Are you looking for more lift? I've been thinking about making a set of shackles myself.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Travisfab wrote:Are you looking for more lift? I've been thinking about making a set of shackles myself.
A little more to match the new coils up front. I added two long leaves and got close. I'm hoping this will do it. If rather leave the shakles stock of possible... don't want to mess with the pinion angle. If I need to make some, though, I'll just use angle iron.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

robertcrav wrote:Coming along sweetly...and that fridge is nice. Solar panels on the roof next?
Maybe some time down the road. For now I just gotta keep an eye on things to make sure I don't get myself into trouble. The good news is even if I do, the manual trans is push start friendly.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Sounds like you need that other battery along with a perko switch Steve