The Next Big Thing....

cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: The Next Big Thing....

Post by cs_drums »

Is that the rugged unit? I though about doing this same thing in my wife's expedition
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Yes. Except it has RCA jacks instead of the intercom connector.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Man, It's been a loooong time since I've had to use ramps... Probably 14 years!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421024123.421109.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421024123.421109.jpg (292.13 KiB) Viewed 842 times
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

What's being done??
SteveG
Admin

The Next Big Thing....

Post by SteveG »

Nothing fun. Just reinstalling the front driveshaft. I never put it back on after replacing the clutch.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Had to dig this thread out of the cobwebs!

Time is at a premium, but I gotta make some kind of progress or else this thing will stay mostly stock forever....

The goal is still simple, simple simple. And cheap.

These shocks were slated for use in the Falcon but I threw some KYB's on it before a trip a few years ago and they work well enough, so these got reassigned. These will get fittings for a reservoir ported near the the rod guide and spherical bearings on the end of the can.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (311.31 KiB) Viewed 688 times
Aaaaand, some new shoes. I still need some parts to complete the front lift (2.5-ish inches) but I might check to see if they'll fit as-is.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (442.09 KiB) Viewed 688 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
cs_drums

The Next Big Thing....

Post by cs_drums »

I'm working on the lift for ya Steve. I should be able to get into Reno area in sept. Just need to find a way to get it to you from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cs_drums

The Next Big Thing....

Post by cs_drums »

What size tires?

SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

cs_drums wrote:I'm working on the lift for ya Steve. I should be able to get into Reno area in sept. Just need to find a way to get it to you from there.

Sounds good! Refresh my memory... did you have beam pivot brackets too?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

cs_drums wrote:What size tires?
33x10.50r15.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

cs_drums wrote:I'm working on the lift for ya Steve. I should be able to get into Reno area in sept. Just need to find a way to get it to you from there.
Disregard the bracket question... read through our PM's.

I just checked specs on the shocks Rancho used on their 2.5" lift and it looks like the shocks I have will end up super close to the same length... bonus! As long as their geometry was good, I'll be set. We'll see how it plays out.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

As part of my recent quest to either get rid of stuff or use it, I'm finally gettin around to mounting this external GPS antenna for my Bad Elf data logger.

Out comes the drill....
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (318.49 KiB) Viewed 656 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (358.37 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Autofab pivot brackets... John's bracket for the right beam has always been bad ass. The left beam bracket was equally cool but was a modified stocker. It's now a fully-fabricated killer component. Well done! I'm looking forward to getting some parts on this car.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (383.86 KiB) Viewed 615 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Some goodies are rolling in. The Explorer has no cooling problems but the AC doesn't keep up in the high heat and I like to be shivering when I'm in the desert... adding a pair pusher fans to the front of the AC condenser as well as a high-pressure cut-off switch (not pictured) that I should have installed when I converted to R134a. If this works, I'm good to go. If not, I'll go back to R12.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (510.01 KiB) Viewed 608 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
mounty71
Bronco Info: Mercury Mountaineer

The Next Big Thing....

Post by mounty71 »

I couldn't find those brackets on Autofab's site, at least on my phone right now. Those are stock-replacement D35 brackets right? All I could find are 2wd brackets and D44 conversion brackets. I'm assuming they go for around the same price as the D44 set...$600? Do they maintain the same mounting width to use the stock beam bushings?

SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

These are the brackets Autofab uses on their D35 wheel travel kit. I think they're 1.5" or 2" drop compared to the stock brackets. They're the same geometry as the factory STX bracket. Not sure on price but probably the same as the conversion brackets as the amount of work is the same, just slightly different in geometry.

Beam bushings are stock, or you could use uniballs.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

So the Explorer let me down the weekend before I left for the Parker 425... then KOH. It wouldn't start while running an errand. I had no time to work on it during pre-trip prep, so I had it towed to the house. Of course, it started when it got home but I didn't trust it so I left it to deal with later.

While I haven't diagnosed the issue (it hasn't failed to start again), but considering symptoms it exhibited previously, there's a good chance it's the fuel pump and I already wanted to cut an access panel in the floor, so get the panel done and throw a fuel pump, filter and relay at it.

Marking the panel.
Explorer Access Panel 1.jpg
Explorer Access Panel 1.jpg (76.79 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Check out this handy little sheet metal nibbler I got from Kelci's grandpa's farm shop when he passed. I seldom use this, but, damn, is it nice to have when I need it!
Explorer Access Panel 2.jpg
Explorer Access Panel 2.jpg (79.15 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Explorer Access Panel 4.jpg
Explorer Access Panel 4.jpg (68.25 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Here's the final hole. It's just big enough to wiggle the fuel pump out of. The connector for the fuel pump module is sandwiched between the tank and body, so instead of trying to reach up there, I'll add another connector right at the module so I can get to it through the access panel.
Explorer Access Panel 3.jpg
Explorer Access Panel 3.jpg (70.54 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Hey Steve. Probably don't have to tell you, but check the impact switch. Can't tell you how much I have chased my tail with this one, and how many miles I have run with one bypassed. Being near the coast is hard on them. When it starts one time and not the next, it's suspect.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

More info on that nibbling tool.....?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

quick google search came up with a couple different ones T. Ranging from $8-15 or so. Some available at Fry's & computer type spots. This one has good reviews on amazon and is rated to 18 ga. which should cover most of the body/sheetmetal on these trucks.
https://www.amazon.com/Nickel-Plated-Ni ... B0002KRACO
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects