The Next Big Thing....

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: The Next Big Thing....

Post by philofab »

Wiring a solenoid to switch on with IGN works really well. Battery always gets charged when the vehicle is running but can't drag the starting battery down.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

That sounds a lot better. Why don't they do that more often?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:Wiring a solenoid to switch on with IGN works really well. Battery always gets charged when the vehicle is running but can't drag the starting battery down.
That's what I would do. I'm not into having to flip a switch when I get out of the car... more of a set it and forget it kind of guy.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Deffinatly doing this. Not to derail but what's the difference between a relay and solenoid
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Pretty sure a solenoid is just a very large capacity relay. Well, a reasonably priced version of one.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

The difference is how they work, but they both do the same thing.

Relays are electromechanical devices where contacts are opened and/or closed by energy in an isolated control circuit. Solenoids contain an electromagnet with a movable plunger and used to translate electrical energy into linear mechanical motion.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

cs_drums wrote:Deffinatly doing this. Not to derail but what's the difference between a relay and solenoid
Relays go, "click' and solenoids go, "clunk".
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

SteveG wrote:
cs_drums wrote:Deffinatly doing this. Not to derail but what's the difference between a relay and solenoid
Relays go, "click' and solenoids go, "clunk".
So, after Philo so eloquently gives his Bill Nye the science guys answer, you give this? :lol:
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

What can I say? I'm a wordsmith. Philo was just showing off anyway.
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

SteveG wrote:
Travisfab wrote:Are you looking for more lift? I've been thinking about making a set of shackles myself.
A little more to match the new coils up front. I added two long leaves and got close. I'm hoping this will do it. If rather leave the shakles stock of possible... don't want to mess with the pinion angle. If I need to make some, though, I'll just use angle iron.

Right where I'm at. I have a Ranger leaf pack I need to experiment with. Definitely post what you end up doing. I was thinking angle iron shackles too!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Travisfab wrote:Right where I'm at. I have a Ranger leaf pack I need to experiment with. Definitely post what you end up doing.
A long-travel pack? I don't know if you read back in this thread but I had a spare Ranger leaf pack that was going in the scrap bin. out of that single leaf pack, I've been able to cut and make 8 single leaves to add to my stock Explorer leaf packs. I'm hoping adding the next two (per pack) will put the rear where I need it to be. I'm thinking about taking the main leaf to a spring shop to have them re-arch them to match the long travel leaves closer. The stock leaves are pretty flat whereas the long travel leaves have a fair amount of arch to them. But, that would require money and that ain't what this project is about!

Low buck or no buck or bust!
Travisfab wrote:I was thinking angle iron shackles too!
Didn't the Kapko Yota have angle-iron shackles... that would never work!?
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

You can rearch your springs with a press Steve.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Do tell. How?

I figured the spring shop would use a roller but I'm always amazed at how archaic leaf spring technology is, so maybe I'm giving them too much credit.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

philofab wrote:You can rearch your springs with a press Steve.
Can also be done with a BFH, some ear plugs, and a big piece of channel. Each leaf has to be done individually of course, but it works pretty well and is quite the workout and is certainly within the realm of a good GFB guy. Bang on it a while, compare the shape to what you want and repeat.

You are basically stretching the metal beyond its yield point to get the new shape. Same with the press or the hammer. In the press you have to support the spring in two places and press between the two. Needs to be some sturdy supports that won't blow apart when you put multiple tons to it.

Deaver has a big roller machine, but this can only be used for general shaping, and can't be used for the main leafs. Typically a custom leaf spring will have a smaller radius at the front of the spring than the rear and you can't do that with a roller.
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

SteveG wrote: A long-travel pack?

Low buck or no buck or bust!
Travisfab wrote:I was thinking angle iron shackles too!
Didn't the Kapko Yota have angle-iron shackles... that would never work!?
I'm not sure what kind of pack it is. It's not like a Deaver pack, but it's not stock either. I think it's a lifted truck pack

& yes, the Kapko Yota had angle iron shackles, worked like a champ, also my inspiration.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

300 wrote:Can also be done with a BFH, some ear plugs, and a big piece of channel. Each leaf has to be done individually of course, but it works pretty well and is quite the workout and is certainly within the realm of a good GFB guy. Bang on it a while, compare the shape to what you want and repeat.
Well I've got big F'ing hammers and do enjoy a good workout, so maybe I'll give it a shot. I also have a press, though, and prefer to work smart over hard... we'll see. Do I have more brauns or brains? Hmmm... that's a tough one.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

I built a setup with two pieces of thick tubing about 6" apart for a base and other thick piece of tubing attached to the ram of the press. Tubing was Perpendicular to the length of the leaves. Went fast with a air over hydraulic setup. I used to mark the leaf every half inch or so and set a depth marker to keep everything consistent.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Pulled this up to reference for a buddy. But it fits here too. Towards the back (page 10 maybe???) they go over the re-arching at home thing with pics.
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/truck-talk/90876.htm
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

SteveG wrote:
300 wrote:Can also be done with a BFH, some ear plugs, and a big piece of channel. Each leaf has to be done individually of course, but it works pretty well and is quite the workout and is certainly within the realm of a good GFB guy. Bang on it a while, compare the shape to what you want and repeat.
Well I've got big F'ing hammers and do enjoy a good workout, so maybe I'll give it a shot. I also have a press, though, and prefer to work smart over hard... we'll see. Do I have more brauns or brains? Hmmm... that's a tough one.

I have done it both with hammer and press. 'Use the press. The only thing I would caution is to avoid doing too much at once, or you will kink the spring. The spring will need a fair bit of force to get it to the yield point, then the trick is to give it enough of a push to tweek it without kinking it. You will get the hang of it. The first spring will take twenty minutes; the remaining springs will take another twenty minutes . The last set I took from 7" free arch to 14" free arch.

The fridge in my camper van would drain an isolated deep cycle 27 in a day. It was always a game getting it charged sufficiently if I was out for multiple days and not doing a lot of driving. Even though you have a more efficient fridge than mine, I would recommend a second battery.

I am with you on storage space. I have things tucked everywhere in my Mountaineer. I built a receiver hitch into my factory bumper by stripping the skin off, doing the fab work, and re-installing the skin. I suspect you could do the same with a swing out rack. I did mine because I also: am cheap; wanted to keep the stock look; and avoid the low hitches.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

I have access to a rolling machine at work, once I get the truck registered again, I'll pull the spring packs, clean and re roll them and see what they look like.