Rmc's baja bug project.

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: Rmc's baja bug project.

Post by Rmc »

No I basically gave my buddy a list of stuff to get, I was half inclined originally to build this for my self but changed my mind when my neighbors bronco went up for sale. Basically I wanted a family prerunner to take the wife n kids out in. My f150 prerunner is a 2 seater ( and a 10 year incomplete project)She I'm shure thinks the bronco is overkill for a family ride ( suspension work wise) but that thing bone stock with duel blown ranchos up front beat my ass to death. I had to do something right? I just started putting the bronco together as cheaply as I could via part n labor trades. My buddy bought nearly everything on my list I made for the build with his own good guy deals. As for the beam I can't remember where he bought it but he's on the samba forum and cl like I'm on here.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Thats awesome! Its always good to work trades and there is no such thing as overkill. Remember your building it to get you out of the trouble you got yourself into hahah.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

The long term plan is race at least one race in his life and put a 1914 in it. As his budget allows parts will be swapped and changed. In the mean time he's gonna use it as a dd ( better mpg than his truck). I'm not so shure he won't get a ticket but hey why not? In my mind this thing will be a chp and local cop magnet. It should turn a few heads though. Long as it funds my " to buy list" I hope he enjoys the result. I did however make him promise me if he sells it to offer it to me first.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (140.37 KiB) Viewed 778 times
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

Looks good! I don't know that I'd ever get around to building one for myself but the one time I rode in a bug I was VERY impressed. It had a cage,seats,harness's,bilstien stock replacement shocks, and a couple little cheap bolts ons to the motor. It made me seriously reevaluate the whole heavy truck lots of travel thing I've always been into. Ultimately more interior room won for me. This one should be way fun when it's done.
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

That's awesome! I was actually just considering buying a Baja bug project car. My uncle bought a clean one recently for $500 from a coworker and it already had a new bolt in cage. Those things are a tight fit but if you move the seats back and add some go fast parts you could make it into a fun daily driver/cop magnet.
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

This escalated quickly, wow. I dig it. Bugs are sweet. I had a half dozen back in the day. They are as addictive as classic Fords.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I've never owned a bug, but love the way they look, and will probably have one ... one day LOL....

Keep up the awesome work!

this reminds me of this one I've seen on CL a lot ...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/3719091215.html
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Wow those arms are wide! We stayed away from a arms for class restrictions but man I'd hate to roll that one. That radiator would blow hot water everywhere. I bet it hauls ass though, cool frankinstien. My friend has been on n off considering an ecotech. I've tried to talk him out of it due to him wanting all factory windows. The biggest obstacle I need to overcome or convince him otherwise is he wants to run a rear bench seat, I say that's a hell of a pinch point with coilovers next to somebody's leg. Well see what happens.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Not a whole lot of progress
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (143.63 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Motors in for mock up, finished the rear upper cage work, bent the bumper tube to tie the front of the cage to the A pillar bars.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (182.15 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (153.5 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (175.37 KiB) Viewed 686 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Gonna get some primer on the cage soon surface rust happens daily it seems. Oh I also cut the holes for the rear coilovers, after I tie in the front ill do the rear upper shock mounts.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Some progress up front today.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (175.94 KiB) Viewed 661 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (188.67 KiB) Viewed 661 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (184.23 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (210.3 KiB) Viewed 622 times
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Your trailing arms are either made wrong or you have them on upside down. They should not be cambered out sitting like that.

Makes sure you keep the old plates, don't let the DMV get them..........
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I already transferred the riveted tag from deep in the front to the top of the foot area. I still have the black plates so I'm good there. As far as the trailing arms not shure if there up side down but the car is on 4 jack stands its up pretty high all the way around. Ill get the rear shock mounts made and see what it will look like under its own weight. You may be right but its high enough all the way around to fully cycle without tires. There's 18 to 20 inches between the pan and concrete.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

News flash! Progress made in project baja bug. Jk but I did finish as far as material and welding gas would allow.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (176.06 KiB) Viewed 589 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (177.33 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

And for you critics out there no the fiberglass is not attached its just sitting on there to see how it's gonna look. You may have noticed it spread away from the side of the car. But I do have a question: I've been thinking of doing something a bit different, what about a big ass hole in the middle of the hood with the spare laying flat? I'm probably not going to do it but it would definitely solve the spare storage issue and be accessible, Bug guy is on the fence about a roof rack, over the engine or under the hood ( with and without the big ass hole) What do you guys think?