The 8 Year Project

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: The 8 Year Project

Post by philofab »

Where did you order those sliders from? My first gen Dodge needs a set of those retrofitted bad!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I got them at Central Coast Springs in Santa Maria... $.50 each. I can mail you some if you can't find them locally.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Very nice, those sliders are going to change your "pre-load" a little though.

When I did the Teflon tape between the leaves on the Barge it made a huge difference.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I had Deaver add those sliders to the front of the crew when I had them check the arch for the stock front springs. My hope is between the extra added weight of the cummins & then the sliders, the front won't will ride like a brick so much anymore!

Oh and philo I've seen the sliders online somewhere before too, so I know you can order them. Maybe a quick google search would pull them up?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I took the Explorer for a quick post-leaf installation... cautiously optimistic that I cured my nagging ride quality issues.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Feel any better with the new sliders?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Rmc wrote:Feel any better with the new sliders?
It feels better so far but I only drove it about a mile. I'll drive it to work tomorrow. I'll know by the time I get there. If the sliders solved my problem, I'll re-valve front and rear then go play dirt for the first time and see how it feels. If this works out the way I'm planning, this thing should be a Caddy on pavement and dirt.
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:I need to start shaking this thing down, so I decided to take the family to Big Falls above Lake Lopez. It's about 20 miles from the house but takes about an hour of drive time plus a short hike to get there. The drive is not very rough or fast but involves a bunch of water crossings with lots of rocks and a few turn outs that include deep ruts and lots of flexing of suspension... all worked well. The shocks still need tuning but so far I'm really happy with the way the truck feels. It is easy to drive and very forgiving on big bumps and ruts.

No fun photos, but I got lots of the road and a few of the hike. The road is long, slow, curvy but a pretty nice drive. I'm hoping to get back out there soon but first thing in the morning right at sunrise when it's still cool and misty.

I didn't really get any good photos of the water fall and pond but you can look them up online. It's a super easy hike and cool place to visit. It would definitely be cool to hang out in on a hot summer day.
Steve is right.. this is such a cool place... we used to go up there all the time back in the... well, errr, I'll just leave it at that... back when I lived up there... looks like it's still pretty nice after all these years! Thanks for the pics Steve... :D
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

BajaF250 wrote:
SteveG wrote:I need to start shaking this thing down, so I decided to take the family to Big Falls above Lake Lopez. It's about 20 miles from the house but takes about an hour of drive time plus a short hike to get there. The drive is not very rough or fast but involves a bunch of water crossings with lots of rocks and a few turn outs that include deep ruts and lots of flexing of suspension... all worked well. The shocks still need tuning but so far I'm really happy with the way the truck feels. It is easy to drive and very forgiving on big bumps and ruts.

No fun photos, but I got lots of the road and a few of the hike. The road is long, slow, curvy but a pretty nice drive. I'm hoping to get back out there soon but first thing in the morning right at sunrise when it's still cool and misty.

I didn't really get any good photos of the water fall and pond but you can look them up online. It's a super easy hike and cool place to visit. It would definitely be cool to hang out in on a hot summer day.
Steve is right.. this is such a cool place... we used to go up there all the time back in the... well, errr, I'll just leave it at that... back when I lived up there... looks like it's still pretty nice after all these years! Thanks for the pics Steve... :D
Aw yes, there were still saber-tooth tigers roaming the area when you were there...............! My big adventure when I was there was taking my 4 x 2 F100 through the short cut across the creek before Los Osos Valley road went east from the 101.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

300 wrote:Aw yes, there were still saber-tooth tigers roaming the area when you were there...............! My big adventure when I was there was taking my 4 x 2 F100 through the short cut across the creek before Los Osos Valley road went east from the 101.
That explains why I recognized the tall guy in the rock paintings.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Hey Steve - Where can I find those pucks? I've searched and searched, but can't seem to find them anywhere. Is there a specific technical term I'm missing?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I just called the spring shop and asked for those slider puck things that go at the end of the leaves.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Special Leaf Isolating Drag Engineered Removal System.

They are most commonly referred to as sliders.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:Special Leaf Isolating Drag Engineered Removal System.

They are most commonly referred to as sliders.
Ha! You sound like some kinda rocket surgeon or something.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

yikes wrote:Hey Steve - Where can I find those pucks? I've searched and searched, but can't seem to find them anywhere. Is there a specific technical term I'm missing?
Hey B,
National Spring will sell them... they have boxes of them.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:
300 wrote:Aw yes, there were still saber-tooth tigers roaming the area when you were there...............! My big adventure when I was there was taking my 4 x 2 F100 through the short cut across the creek before Los Osos Valley road went east from the 101.
That explains why I recognized the tall guy in the rock paintings.
Hey now... I resemble that statement!

Ah yes, I remember that... that was always good fun! We used to bring Jule's Datsun 1200 back there (I was a poor student and didn't own a car)!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

BajaF250 wrote:We used to bring Jule's Datsun 1200 back there (I was a poor student and didn't own a car)!
Oh man. Some of my best times off-road were in a Datsun Wagon... I swear that thing had wings.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

There are few roads around me where air can really open up and make this thing work, so we headed out on another trail drive. This time on High Mountain Rd... very few bumps but fun nonetheless. There were a couple fun spots and the grocery getter worked great. Tuning for jumps will be challenging, though.

We also got a kick out of making the car teeter on two wheels (photos by Bella).
uploadfromtaptalk1372965342755.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1372965342755.jpg (75.54 KiB) Viewed 359 times
uploadfromtaptalk1372965322716.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1372965322716.jpg (74.07 KiB) Viewed 359 times
uploadfromtaptalk1372965299565.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1372965299565.jpg (74.32 KiB) Viewed 359 times
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Dang! Not too shabby for an exploder.
blueoval8493
Bronco Info: 1994 F-150 super cab with 347.

Post by blueoval8493 »

What's that hanging down under the drivers side spring pack looks like behind shock?