The Flyin Filarski's TTB Jeep XJ

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: The Flyin Filarski's TTB Jeep XJ

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Robert - the 4 link arms on the race trucks (the big boy ones at least) are taken off the truck in a decent prep. They break most of the trucks down on these. The links are then cleaned - as is the rest of the truck. This is where the peon's in the race shop come in. Guys wanting to learn & volunteering around the race shop get to clean stuff like this, clean & re-pack CV joints, etc. All the nasty stuff no one wants to do and most people don't know or talk about.

As for the shock mount on the leaf plate - the "boxing" plates are needed here for strength and the dirt collection is the lesser of the 2 evils here (weaker or collect crap). Again on a race truck things would be broken down ever so often (depends on prep schedule) and cleaned. Also these plates are often semi tight to the shock itself so there isn't really a ton of room for crap to get in. There is a gap & dust & water can get in for sure, but it's not a huge, gaping hole.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Robert - the 4 link arms on the race trucks (the big boy ones at least) are taken off the truck in a decent prep. They break most of the trucks down on these. The links are then cleaned - as is the rest of the truck. This is where the peon's in the race shop come in. Guys wanting to learn & volunteering around the race shop get to clean stuff like this, clean & re-pack CV joints, etc. All the nasty stuff no one wants to do and most people don't know or talk about.

As for the shock mount on the leaf plate - the "boxing" plates are needed here for strength and the dirt collection is the lesser of the 2 evils here (weaker or collect crap). Again on a race truck things would be broken down ever so often (depends on prep schedule) and cleaned. Also these plates are often semi tight to the shock itself so there isn't really a ton of room for crap to get in. There is a gap & dust & water can get in for sure, but it's not a huge, gaping hole.
Gotcha...thanks Steve
FatCity
Bronco Info: 03 F150

Post by FatCity »

We got a couple things knocked out last Saturday.
Ryan got the OE bushings cut out of the beams and tacked in the spherical cups.

We designed and built the lower radius arm mounts.

And then got them tacked in and mocked up the radius arm so we could start cycling it.

93Broncobuff
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's

Post by 93Broncobuff »

Nice work man!! This thing def. looks great in person!!!

Matt
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Hard to tell in the pictures, but how are you planning to attach the rad arms to the beams? Will it be welded, or a bolt-on connection?
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

That black supercrew in the background has got to be one of my favorite trucks. Cool work on the Jeep too, keep it up.
FatCity Ryan
Bronco Info: 98' Jeep Cherokee

Post by FatCity Ryan »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Hard to tell in the pictures, but how are you planning to attach the rad arms to the beams? Will it be welded, or a bolt-on connection?

Welded.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Just asking out of curiosity, why did you choose to weld over making it a two piece design?
FatCity Ryan

Post by FatCity Ryan »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Just asking out of curiosity, why did you choose to weld over making it a two piece design?
The thinking was that fabricating the radius arms to the beams offered more strength and simplicity.

What's everyone elses thoughts on that?
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

You know Ryan its honestly preference. I run bolts on the bronco as i can replace either the beam or the radius arm. With it welded youd have to replace the entire unit.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
ESHALLBETTER

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

I welded mine to my beams. I agree that it a bummer to replace the whole unit but my thoughts were easier to build, and one less potential failure point. One thing I noticed though was once they were fully welded it took a little bit of wrestling to get them mounted again.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

FatCity Ryan wrote:
Becks_Bronco wrote:Just asking out of curiosity, why did you choose to weld over making it a two piece design?
The thinking was that fabricating the radius arms to the beams offered more strength and simplicity.

What's everyone elses thoughts on that?
Like said above, just easier to replace individual parts that bend or break that replacing the whole assembly. But it really does come down to personal preference.
FatCity Ryan

Post by FatCity Ryan »

Out of curiosity, how many have had to replace a trailing arm or beam due to damage? If so, how well were they built? Custom? Aftermarket?
ESHALLBETTER

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

FatCity Ryan wrote:Out of curiosity, how many have had to replace a trailing arm or beam due to damage? If so, how well were they built? Custom? Aftermarket?
Mines never left the shop so I can't help out on that front....
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Ive bent a threat radius arm. Luckily it was bolt on so it didnt kill the beam and was simple to swap out
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
FatCity

Post by FatCity »

We got the beams cut and turned and a lot of the plate work on the beams done over the weekend.
Still need to truss the front of the diff housing, but progress is progress...

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Very impressive build! Had a quick question, I noticed u cut a template n then scanned it, what software are u guys using and are the pieces being lazer, plasma or water jet? Looks like a great system to make exactly what u need.
FatCity

Post by FatCity »

Thanks,
For the most part we draw everything up in CAD just with good ol'fashioned measurments, but occaisionaly we make a cardboard pattern if its easier or just makes sense...
The plate work is all cut with plasma on our Torchmate.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Does the torchmate have a "trace" or copy type feature for when you guys do make something out of cardboard & want to copy it?
FatCity

Post by FatCity »

My software does not, but manually tracing the pattern it is pretty painless.