CrazyJim's 1994 F1 Build - "Penny"

crazyjim
Bronco Info: 2000 Jeep XJ

CrazyJim's 1994 F1 Build - "Penny"

Post by crazyjim »

Well, here it is. The beginning of the end hopefully. I'm hoping this build will be something I keep until I'm an old man, slowly making it faster and faster. I've always loved the '92-'96 body style, with a secret small crush on the uglier older front ends as well ;)

The truck:

1994 F-150 Supercab Short Bed. 138.8" WB
302 (Windsor / HO Firing Order) - E4OD

The Plan: Stage 1

Giant WIY Equal Length Beams
Swing Set steering
Spring under 64" leafs
Low profile bed cage
35-37" tires

Stage 2

Cage
Shortened wheelbase
Linked rear
37" tires
400HP @ the crank.

List of what's wrong:

VSS
Power Windows
Power Seat
Gauge Cluster melted
Electrical drain somewhere
Ignition switch
Dented fenders *Front and rear*
Cracked and Dented Hood
Interior in rough shape

Here's how she sits as of now, in all her broken glory:

I've already purchased a Giant WIY kit, and will no doubt need help with setting that up. I'm a pretty damn decent welder, but figuring out my ride height, width, caster and camber is going to be a daunting task. I've seen one other build here with this beams, and will be asking for more advice if available!

Last edited by crazyjim on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: CrazyJim's 1994 F1 Build - "The Black Pearl"

Post by tcm glx »

Saweet. It's on!!

We can knock out the windows tomorrow Jim, I'm getting good at fixing those.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Wow.... I didn't know it was a WIY kit. You welding it up yourself or getting help from buddy who is a kick ass welder? look forward to seeing this progress. If you go to Tonys tomorrow, let me know....maybe I'll ride out.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

Jim the Trucks looks great..

Tony is good at fixing windows

Ignition switch is an easy fix.. Mine went out as soon as i bought it
Integrity, Money, Relevance
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

CrazyJim's 1994 F1 Build - "The Black Pearl"

Post by philofab »

The electrical drain will go away if you unhook the negative battery cable.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
crazyjim

Post by crazyjim »

Thanks for the help today Tony and Andy!! Got more to do, but still got enough done that I'm feeling comfortable for the night race. Still need to finish wiring in the race radio but that's about it.

Fixed the drivers window today, but the passenger side is missing the window sash that holds the actual window.

Dicker, where'd you pick up your ignition switch? Dealer?

Philo, that's what I've been doing, is just disconnecting the negative cable.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

crazyjim wrote:Philo, that's what I've been doing, is just disconnecting the negative cable.
Just messing with you. Get your ignition switch fixed first and then see if it goes away.
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

I picked up my switch from oreillys..

Autozone, oreillys, pep boys usually has this in stock

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... =97679_0_0_
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Is the switch or the lock cylinder bad?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Nice to see the build thread up Jim, and even in "all her broken glory" she is one SEXY beast!

You ever find out any more info on the 64's?
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
economig
Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L

Post by economig »

Love this truck. If my wallet and garage were only big enough to give my car ADD free reign! I'd build a 4x2 ex or crew cab too
T H R E A T Motorsports
crazyjim

Post by crazyjim »

Philo, I know the cylinder is bad, I'll replace the switch at the same time. Steve, I haven't had a chance to talk to Geoff yet to find out exactly what's different about them, but I'm also not ready to buy yet :D Thaks again for the compliments guys!

Went to Tony's today and got quite a bit more done. Strapped some 35's on her, tires were BADLY needed. She rides WAY better with the A/T's over the M/T's. Trimmed the front bumper, removed the rear bumper (rear bumper build with be the next project), and finished the install of the race radio. All in all I'm happy, she should be dirt worthy for this weekend! I'm stoked, first time back in the dirt in my own truck is quite some time!

Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

looks good Jimbo!! Is that about the ride height you will be shooting for with the suspension build or?
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
crazyjim

Post by crazyjim »

Roughly, probably 2-3" higher. Once she's on 37's I want to make sure I retain enough uptravel to handle well.
D1cker1

Post by D1cker1 »

I'm a fan of 37s with a low ride height.. But that's just me.

Sometimes when I look at "croc" I think I could be 2in higher
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
crazyjim

Post by crazyjim »

I am too Tony, but I've found having more bump travel is worth the trade off for a higher ride height.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Unfortunately that's the trade off with beams. You want decent bump travel you gotta get the ride height up there.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
crazyjim

Post by crazyjim »

Welp... time for an update!

Got a few little misc. things done, nothing major but enough for an update. First and foremost we started with the important stuff, ended up installing a race radio, a dust light, and plate light for the night race a few weeks ago. Sadly the race radio shorted when the harness got pinched under the seat bracket when we re-installed the seat. So I ended up with no radio for the weekend anyway.

Tony and I also installed a set of his projector headlights two weeks ago, and boy oh boy are they amazing! They provide AMAZING light and look fantastic. I'm still getting used to the bug eye look but I can't get over how great they perform. Unfortunately the header panel is cracked all to hell, not allowing us to aim them high enough for the time being.

So, being that the header panel is cracked, and I was missing a drivers door handle, as well as door panels, and a passenger window that doesn't work, off to the junk yard we went. Again, Tony came along to help out and we wrenched in the sun all day. We searched and searched and searched for door panels, and of 15 or so trucks, maybe 2 had panels, and they were destroyed. Most of the stuff was relatively picked over but we came away with a decent amount of stuff. We ended up with a header panel, a window sash, drivers door handle, manual drivers seat bracket, and some interior trim. After arguing with the lady for god knows how long about their price list vs. her insane pricing, I finally went to another window, and paid the correct amount instead of the "White boy" price that I seem to so often get at PAP. But I digress... notice the difference in trim from above... I'm slowly getting rid of the funky ass fake wood grain all over the interior of this truck, one piece at a time.

Now, you may wonder what the manual seat bracket was for. Well, I picked up a set of Twisted Stitch seats from Chris (Cuz_Im_CR) and Alissa. They're reclining vinyl/leather two tone seats, and pretty damn comfy. They'll do me well for what I need them for until it's time to cage. I got to work on that last night / today and got 'em all in and spiffy'd up. They've both got a bit of a lean to the seat back on one side. The insides seem to lean more than the other. I'll call twisted stitch about this when I get some time to see if there's any sort of a fix for it, or if I can tweak something back into place.

First I had to fix the lever/bracket assembly on the track so it'd slide correctly... handy with the bailing wire if I do say so myself.

Then I fabbed up some 2x2 angle iron mounts for it, thanks for the idea Chris!

Dirty Carpet :roll:

And finally, the seats!!

Overall I'm happy with the truck so far. Stay tuned for some much needed rear suspension work. Once that's wrapped up, hopefully I'll have my shop set up with a bender and all the stuff I need to build some bumpers.
economig
Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L

Post by economig »

Nice Jim! Interior's lookin great! I'm really liking the look of the seats! Like the head lights and dust light too. Comin together
T H R E A T Motorsports
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

I really like the shortbed SuperCab, I'll be keeping an eye on this build, for sure. Keep up the good work! :D