A pair of 74's...

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

on which one????

Crew is keeping the stock front leafs for now. At least until I can tell if the diesel sags them out too much. I'm hoping it will just "soften" the ride up a bit though. For the rear I'm putting on a set of lift leafs for an 8-98 chevy (64" leafs) to try and soften that up a bit and get rid of the factory 4" block.

As of now the crew cab is magically hovering above the shop floor like this as I am waiting on some parts to get back from plating. (no the chair is not holding it up - it's magic!)

As I said - iIt will be on stock leaves, but the hangers/shackles are the "cool" parts.

Here is the front hanger mount I built in it's almost done state

shackles for the front leafs. I'll be trying delrin bushings for these in the part where they pivot off the frame

And then we get to my true joy - the supercab...

"Look Ma - no springs!" That was as I was throwing in some autofab pieces to get the thing to tuck 35's for when they made the fenders

The supercab only has an autofab kit (lift coil, bent beams and extended radius arms) as of now, but that is just a placeholder.
I will be building front shock hoops onto the coil buckets here in a bit. They will hold my 12" stroke bypass shocks until I really get to the build, but again those will only be temporary.

The plan is for bend and extended I-beams (the secret BIG 1" beams) with a heim or uniball as the beam pivot. The radius arms will also be extended and will mount off a custom tranny mount. Most likely I am going to try center mounted radius arms when I do this as I will be converting to a swing set style steering system = front steer. The shocks will be a 2.5" coilover and 3.0", 3 tube bypass.

I am currently trying to figure out my snout/hub combo so as to use a 5.5" lug pattern with the larger, 1" kingpin uprights. Yes I know about the 80/81 F-150 spindles and I have a set - not gonna run um. I'm looking at using 2.5" hollow snouts to match the GN hubs on my floater rear.

As for the rear - for now it will get 64" deavers (spring over unfortunately). I'd like to link it, but my goal is to get this thing running and drive it as I build it. With how long the ranger has been down and un-drivable, I NEED something I can play with in the dirt again. Yes the tacoma can do ok in the dirt, but it needs to get me to work on monday so I'm usually really timid with it.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
gr8brnc
Bronco Info: 96 Bronco, 535hp, lots of glass, coil overs coming soon

Post by gr8brnc »

I love that green crew...it almost gives me wood!!! I will be looking for one of those.
Can I have the link to your build thread?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cummi ... w-cab.html

Here you go - it was at the end of the 1st page
gr8brnc
Bronco Info: 96 Bronco, 535hp, lots of glass, coil overs coming soon

Post by gr8brnc »

I just spent 2 hours reading through your build thread. You must be getting sick of working on that crew......sell it to me!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really do nice work! :D
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thanks for the colmpliment - and yeah, I am kind of getting sick of working on it. I have to get re-inspired every once in a while. All that takes is a quick though of just how cool this thing will be when I can drive it again does the trick.

I started on the tubular core support yesterday - so look for some updates soon.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

custom core support on the crew is about 1/2 way done. At least this part is fun to be creative and work on.

The 74 supercab comes home Saturday and I'm sure I'll be tempted to mess with that soon too...

johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

Really nice work on the core support and on the truck in general.

I have been reading your build thread, good stuff. Was that you wife/girlfriend sandblasting? Mad skills!

John
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

That was Suzy (the g/f) sandblasting. She hasn't gone back to sand blasting recently although I do offer up the task and she usually initially says "sure" - it often turns out she's too lazy to get off the couch I have set up in the shop for her. That's what I get for giving her the "Suzy Zone" (couch with lots of blankets and a TV with lots of movies) in the shop.

On another note - the supercab comes home this weekend so I'm trying to keep focused on the crew for now as I'm sure the supercab will distract me when it gets back :roll:
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Plugging away until the distraction, uh I mean supercab gets here tomorrow.

Why do I spend so much time on stuff hardly anybody will ever see/look at???
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

That looks smokin!! Nice stuff!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Guess who did a 1 day turn around Vegas trip this weekend...

Nothing got done on the crew this weekend since the little red/black one was being an attention whore...

Here it is with the tire moved out 4" from stock to show how it will look with the widened front end.

More pics can be seen here.
http://s453.photobucket.com/albums/qq26 ... s%2073-79/
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

As I thought - the supercab being home is distracting me from working on the crew...

Already drawing up the plans for the solid body mounts I'm going to turn down to lower the thing a bit (TINY BIT), and then messing with the drive line plans (pics below ;) )

I have a culhane race c6 (not the trans in the pic) and I bought the gearvendors to go in the crew, but since I went manual trans on that - it's going in this.
I am trying to decide how to mount the gear vendors... Right now my c6 has the fixed tail shaft (1st pic) because it is shorter/stronger. I'm getting mixed opinions on how to mount it though. New thread started on this ---> http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 7822#p7822

Also - it seems this bad boy had a wiring fire (pic below is how I got the thing - no heads and flag over motor) so luckily I am parting out a '79 for a buddy. I am grabbing his wiring harness and will throw that in this truck for now to get it running. It will all be custom wired later on.
Attachments
1 074.jpg
1 074.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
1 081.jpg
1 081.jpg (91.7 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
x 294.jpg
x 294.jpg (99.51 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
Last edited by ChaseTruck754 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Hey Steve,

Can I ask how much you paid for your Gear Vendors unit as I have been thinking of doing away with it and buying a built up overdrive transmission to reduce the number of components in the driveline:

And is your Crew running a two piece driveshaft like mine is:

Chris
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Got it for $700 or $800 a couple years ago. I found out after that a buddy used to grab them from the junk yard for $200 - $300 and re-sell them for $600 or so right about the time I bought mine. Oh well.

If you end up wanting to part with it - let me know. I've got a couple buddies who I think are looking for them.

And on a side note - DAMN that is a long drive line assembly with the GV and the carrier bearing, etc in there!

I am trying to use the GV in place of the carrier bearing since the carrier bearings always seem to cause issues.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

With helping a buddy tear down and part out his '79 and then the supercab being home the crew hasn't even gotten a second glance in over a week. Well - it got a quick glance - just enough to notice my new core support rusting :cry:

Time for a quick coat of paint and back to the supercab - which got a "new" wiring harness (the one out of my buddies '79) yesterday do to the old one being hacked and having had a slight wiring fire :shock:

Where the fire was on the inside

Harness from my buddies '79 going in.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

I had some sparks flying on the four door when I brought her home and started going through the wiring mess in the dash. Nothing makes you run faster to unplug a battery then seeing sparks under your dash, ha ha ha. Luckly the only damage was to loose wires that I removed anyway.
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:on which one????

Crew is keeping the stock front leafs for now. At least until I can tell if the diesel sags them out too much. I'm hoping it will just "soften" the ride up a bit though. For the rear I'm putting on a set of lift leafs for an 8-98 chevy (64" leafs) to try and soften that up a bit and get rid of the factory 4" block.
Do you know the free-arch on the 64" Deavers? Are those F70 springs (88-98 2wd 4" lift)? Thanks.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Don't know the free arch off hand but I can measure if you want. I'd guess 12" or so maybe. If I remember right the springs I have are the F87's. I want the F70's or G26's (to try a spring under) but I'm cheap so I grabbed what I found used :oops:
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Spent another weekend distracted by the supercab.

1st the old motor came out and went to a buddy. This is the ONLY way to pull a motor on one of these old things by the way!

Then I spent the next 2 afternoons degreasing this DIRTY pig. I REALLY wish I would have remembered to take a picture from the passenger side looking at the steering box BEFORE the degreasing started but oh well. You get the idea...

Next I need to figure out if I'm going to throw the complete 351w I have in there for the time being or do some parts swapping to get more power out of it. Either way it's going to come out later (after the crew is running) and get custom motor mounts, etc.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Next I need to figure out if I'm going to throw the complete 351w I have in there for the time being or do some parts swapping to get more power out of it. Either way it's going to come out later (after the crew is running) and get custom motor mounts, etc.
You could probably use the Autofab EB-302 mounts. I used them in my Bronco instead of the big Bronco mounts John sells. The EB-302 are a piece of cake to install and attach to the existing brackets. The're pretty cheap, too.
Sho nuff,
SteveG