A pair of 74's...

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Girl (I grew up with 3 brothers - no sisters & I'm scared chitless) and I agree on your way of looking at it.

This thing was meant to be the family camping rig so I hope to plug away on it every chance I get & start enjoying it when she's young.

The go fast play toy is what may have taken the hit, but I need to get this thing done ASAP so I can start on that while she's still young!
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Git er done
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Had a little time & made a little more progress this weekend by starting on the fuel straps.

Bending the U shape took a bit more effort than I thought as it was too tight of a bend to pull off in my brake, so I had to to a bunch of it by hand with the hammer, but all seemed to turn out OK.

I hope to get out there on lunch & make a little more progress. We'll see.

Here's the straps & the .125" steel flat bar that I'm using for a bit more beef on the rearmost mounts

The steel straps wrap around the .125" flat bar & a bolt goes through the rear cross member & then through the strap setup. Should be plenty strong

And here's where I left off. I've got to get the front mount set up for the U bolts & then wrap the strap around the U-bolts. Have to get the U-bolts zinc plated 1st though, so I've got to get back on sand blasting here soon.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I got a bit more done on the fuel straps. I'm working the "front" side of the fuel tank straps. I got the things gut down & notched a little for the U-bolts & then I marked the spots for the U-bolt holes/bosses in the cross member angle iron. I've drill 3 of those 4 holes thus far & hole to drill the 4th tomorrow.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Damn Steve looks perfect as always! So when is the projected run date?
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I like his c clamps more. :mrgreen:
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

That bend at the rear will give you problems. The strap will start to bend at the edge of the tank as soon as you start to tension it. You need 2 bends there, one at the edge of the tank and another just below the mounting plate to make it parallel to the frame.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thanks guys.

Brian - thanks for the warning on the 2nd bend. These are still in mid process, and the bend below mounting plate would happen when I can get the things in a bit more and better mocked up. This setup was just to figure out hole locations for the u-bolts. Once I'm done getting those bosses it it'll be mocked up again & looked at to see if it's straight enough or if the 2nd bend needs to go in.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Since Erik is showing me up with his progress, I figured I should get off my butt & post up.

Sucks what I get to show after a week is what I used to do in 1/2 of one night. Oh well. Growing up sucks...

Been doing a little work here & there on this thing as I have time.

Here's a small update of what I got done last week. Work done 1/21 thru 1/26. It's not much, but this thing is much closer. I've just got to weld it up & caps the ends now.

I've also been doing a bit of sand blasting so I can finally get my stuff off for zinc. plating but that is going way slow as my abrasive is pretty much shot & I haven't made the time to go get more.

Here's the fuel strap u-bolts & how they will go through the crossmember

And here's how the crossmember goes together. Bosses help tie the upper & lower piece together. The top piece was the stock crossmember = a 90* bent piece of .125" thick steel.

A little bit of metal melting going on. Much more needed

Hind sight being 20/20 I should have just used a tube & bossed the thing, but here's how I got to this point:

As I said the silver "angle iron" is actually a piece of bent .125" thick sheet. That was a stock "cross member on the truck. This is what I was originally going to use to attach the fuel tank straps to.
Then when I started thinking about it, it scared me. WAY too much weight for that.
So then I bought the .250" thick angle and was going to run that. After thinking about it more even that made me nervous and I came up with tying them together & doing this.

Yes I probably should have just done a tube from the start, but I didn't really think of it til I had the material & was semi far along in this thing.
Plus this just give me more welding practice. Oh, and clamping practice as I'll be fighting a bit of warping with this I think.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Awesome man! It's stupid how long this stuff takes when you have to make EVERY part, and work around factory components...Eating the elephant one bite at a time. We have a full blown race going I think! Haha!

I think you should coordinate your completion date such that it is done a few days before mine, thus allowing it to tow my bronco to the desert for her maiden voyage....it only seems fitting!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I think that would be sweet! Problem is - I don't think my maiden test voyage would be one to MN to come pick you up... hahaha
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:I think that would be sweet! Problem is - I don't think my maiden test voyage would be one to MN to come pick you up... hahaha
Well..... not now..... when you were single though??? hahahaha
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Still would have been a long way from home for a 1st test run.

Plus he lives in the land of the COLD, and I'm a fair weather type of guy!
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:I think that would be sweet! Problem is - I don't think my maiden test voyage would be one to MN to come pick you up... hahaha
Of course not, I would obviously be willing to meet you at the Iowa border.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

hahaha - now that's more like it!
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Steve you need to keep going .....with a little one on the way very soon

Your free time will be gone.....hah
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I know.

I was welding the thing off and on yesterday and last night. I'd go weld during commercial breaks etc. Trying to weld a little at a time to combat warping.

My current battle is getting all this stuff sand blasted & cleaned up for a zinc plating run. I have so much here though & with my blaster not working well currently & living so close to the coast everything I get done & ready flash rusts by the time I get more of the batch done
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

getting my bead on...
Attachments
photo3.jpg
photo3.jpg (143 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

So I meant to get to this on Saturday so as to be a "to date" yearly bump, but I guess now is good since I missed that. Crazy to think the little one will be 1 tomorrow!

Progress has been slow, but I'm hitting it when I can. Currently making some exhaust brackets & finally finishing up welding the rear shock hoop so I can get that powdercoated.

Here's some pics of what's gone on over the last year (well really the last 2 months since not much got done for much of the year).

Amp steps going in so I can figure out exhaust as they will be close together on pass side
4.jpg
4.jpg (98.61 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (98.27 KiB) Viewed 1003 times

Upper radiator mount finalized after sitting here for years 1/2 done
2.jpg
2.jpg (94.96 KiB) Viewed 1003 times

Exhaust mostly routed. The rings you see around the tube were templates for what space a muffler would take up in case it's too loud sans muffler & I want to add one down the road. The wood spacers coming off the frame are a temporary mount to space the tube right & hold it while I tack the system up.
7.jpg
7.jpg (121.73 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (142.02 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Rear shock hoop finished finally & off to powdercoat
1.jpg
1.jpg (140.94 KiB) Viewed 970 times
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (112.27 KiB) Viewed 970 times
2a.jpg
2a.jpg (106.46 KiB) Viewed 970 times

Also have exhaust hangers started - in an overly intricate for no major reason form of course...
Exhaust hanger 2-3-15.jpg
Exhaust hanger 2-3-15.jpg (124.06 KiB) Viewed 970 times