A pair of 74's...

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thanks!

Pics for you in the "cool stuff" thread in the "whatever" section.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

A little more stainless work and other small stuff over the last couple weeks or so.

Support brackets for the AMP steps - pass side.

Front
3-18-15 AMP support front.JPG
3-18-15 AMP support front.JPG (104.55 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

Rear

From this:
3-23-15 AMP support - rear.JPG
3-23-15 AMP support - rear.JPG (112.02 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

To this:
1.JPG
1.JPG (104.54 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (110.34 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Awesome work as always!!
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

X2 very nice!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thanks guys.

It's amazing how muck time brackets like that stainless one can take. Trying to figure out the multiple, compound angles is tricky, and even with multiple stages of cardboard templates & many test fits (which include crawling under the truck and across to get to the pass side) there always seems to be one angle I didn't get right. It's finally done though. Just in time to start the driver side one... At least I can access that side much more easily & my crawling back & forth on my knees under the truck may be done for a bit.
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

If you're in a High Boy those steps are a must! Time and effort will come back in comfort and enjoyment.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Agreed, but they were not a must until the wife & kid came along. I like the look without steps, but the lady wants a step and with the height of the truck & kids it turned into a need. AMPs, while very expensive (even used) are a good step and worth it, so that is why the effort is going in. I thought about & looked at other ways of doing it to try & save the cash, but everything was a compromise. These are not really a compromise but the price shows it. They hang or get lower than other steps, but are then out of the way when out of use vs. hanging down low. I love that!

I do agree that the effort it is taking to make them fit a vehicle they weren't designed for will be worth it, although it is taking a way a bit of time from other, getting it running stuff on the truck
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

In reality Steve it dosnt matter how long it takes, because very soon those grueling hours in tedious details will add up to something truly unique and totally bad ass. Details are good because when someone tries to pic it apart they very quickly realize your spent effort and even the harshest of critics will say nice job, I like how you did that right there. Keep it up man.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

:X2 on what Rob said.

The devil is in the details!!!!! A few extra hours working on those details will pay dividends down the road. Because, if you're anything like me it is the small compromises that I wish I hadn't made that drive me the most crazy. Especially when it is concerns a repetitive action like climbing into and out of a lifted truck. Plus, the wife will be happy. That in and of itself is worth it's weight in gold :lol:. I want to get some AMP steps for my Bronco but I don't know how well they would work in conjuction with rock sliders.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

A pair of 74's...

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Steve, when I got my F350 it was stock. Then I lifted it 6" and put 35's and I had to put my knee inside the door to climb into the truck. I got some stock running board's and made a huge difference.
Your work looks great...

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thanks guys, and yes, part of the reason the truck is taking so long is because I refuse to cut corners. I know having something half assed would annoy me to the point that I would rip it apart & do it over, and that would take longer & cost more than just doing it right the 1st time! Heck, there's already stuff I did earlier on in the build I'd like to change or redo, but it's not bad enough to take the time to do so.

And my truck isn't that high, and that was my plan/goal. It's actually "stock" height, but that stock is "highboy", so about a 4" lift over a 2wd. 35's fit at this height nicely & that's all Iwanted and really need
squirelmurphy
Bronco Info: No broncos, but I have a 73 f100 with a big block. Does that count?

Post by squirelmurphy »

It sounds like what you need is a creeper! The steps will be nice, you won't regret it.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

If you saw what I have stored under the truck you'd understand why I tend to have to crawl... It's more getting around crap than under the truck as it's on stands again & pretty high up currently.

Once I get these driveshafts up to our secret hide-away, finally take all these bottles and old rims to recycling and then build my shed I should be able to get under there a bit easier, but none of that seems to be getting done...
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

A pair of 74's...

Hey Steve, I have a couple questions you might be able to help me with.
First, on a 74 or 75 f250 4x4 with a Factory 460, is the C6 a divorced transfer case? If it is divorced, will a 1980's Big block C6 with a non divorced transfer case bolt to the 74/75 460 Big Block?

I would appreciate any insight you may have.

I hope you and the family are doing well.

David...
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

This isn't done yet?
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Wrightracing.net wrote:If it is divorced, will a 1980's Big block C6 with a non divorced transfer case bolt to the 74/75 460 Big Block?
Yes, all 429/460/351M/400M share the same bell housings. Any big block trans should bolt up regardless of year. To the motor at least, trans mounts?.............
Wrightracing.net

Thank you...

David...
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Sorry - kid #2 here and not only am I still not working on my stuff, but I seem to get on here less and less as well. Amazing how that happens! Thanks for filling in for me Brian!

As for the only thing I see Brian didn't touch on is what would be stock in the '74/'75 F-250. That should be a divorced case. The 250's & 350's were divorced in the earlier (highboy) trucks. I think it was '77.5 when the heavier trucks went to married t-cases like the F-150's had all along.

Speaking of T-cases, I've had a seal kit for mine for 2-3 maybe more years now. Anybody wanna freshen up the thing for me?? Time to work on my crap is rarer than hens teeth anymore...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Wrightracing.net

Thanks Steve, Another question, what do you think of putting an 86 frame and suspension under a 1975 supercab. The thought would be to link the rear, back half the frame and put short bed besides. I know I would have to make custom body mounts, but I might have a lead on a 75 supercab f350 for $2000

David...
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Its a thought I've had for sure, and one I like! I have toyed with the idea of putting TTB under a 70's truck or a body swap like you mention. Current idea would be to get an 80's/90's TTB supercab short bed & do the susp. & drive it for a bit & eventually drop a 70's crew cab on it & run a shortened bed. What setup is the '86 TTB truck? Std cab long bed? If so - cool idea. Only thing is the body may have to be set a little high due to the contours on the newer frame, but back halving the truck would help with that a bunch I think.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects