A pair of 74's...

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by Rmc »

Looking good. Glad to see you working on it agian.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:according to my calc's based off the cad drawings it's 44.785 gal.

With all the baffles in I'd say 43-44 gal. = good for road trips but hard on the wallet when I do finally go to fill up.

And I only popped out the exact # because I was made fun of by a buddy here for my cad drawing & breakdown of the tank seen below. I'm a bit anal on this stuff I guess, but it does help me build. I spent a ton of time on this silly drawing, but it seems to be worth it in the way it's coming out.

Your CAD skills are very impressive!!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thanks guys. I haven't really stopped working on it so much as it's just very sparatic as to when I have time. I have been VERY lazy about posting updates here though.

And as for my cad skills - I get paid to do that, it just comes in very handy for drawing trucks parts as well!
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Can't believe that upper radiator mount is almost two! Where the hell does the time go?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

No clue man. But it does seem to disappear quickly somehow!

Oh and for something else that IS two - not almost...

Started final welds on these bad boys the other day, went to save these pics & realized the last time I had touched them was 2 years ago - almost to the day!!!!

Too bad my laser cutter quit on me so turning out bitchin looking parts like these is less likely to happen now :( Although I am using more and more stainless on the truck after parts like this :D
Driver 1.jpg
Driver 1.jpg (108.06 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
Driver 2.jpg
Driver 2.jpg (93.75 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

Oh and here's a little bit from today. Currently upset with myself for violating the "measure twice, cut once" rule. It was more of a "cut the part long & shorten til it's right" infraction, but it has me frustrated with myself.
Has a little bit to work before I had to get the monkey so I was trying to bust out some radiator hose work since I got the parts yesterday. I got 3 of my 4 cuts done on the lower hard line & was on a roll so I quickly looked at the 4th, said "that'll be good" and cut it before I had to wrap up & go grab the kid. I cut the tube a bit short so now have to weld a piece back in. Not the end of the world as just 2 welds in this lower tube vs. 1, but it annoys me.
The stupid angle they put this lower radiator hose tube on is making this harder on me as the hose will be REALLY close to the belt.

Here's upper & starting on lower
2.jpg
2.jpg (117.45 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

And here's lower - mostly finished, but just a bit short.
1.jpg
1.jpg (96.78 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Nice
good that you have found a little time to work on it.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Flip the legs around some and see if that works. I am guessing you are wanting to suck that 90* elbow into the radiator so theres not such a kink in it right? If the flipping around doesn't work looks like splicing a small straight piece in along with some good ol' fashioned metal finishing :-)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

pushing that 90* hose towards the radiator causes MORE of a kink. The tube coming off the radiator there is at a 45* angle or so toward the center of the vehicle. It was making my life difficult!

What is hard to see, but can be seen in the 2nd pic is the puller for the AC compressor under the tensioner. This is what I am worried about the belt being close on. I did have to push that 90* hose toward the radiator more & put a little kink in it, but I'd rather have a kinked hose than one a belt will wear a hole in.

Got the tube cut & tacked up & ready to be welded on lunch. I'll weld it tonight.
squirelmurphy
Bronco Info: No broncos, but I have a 73 f100 with a big block. Does that count?

Post by squirelmurphy »

Keep knocking things off that list! It's looking great.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:pushing that 90* hose towards the radiator causes MORE of a kink. The tube coming off the radiator there is at a 45* angle or so toward the center of the vehicle. It was making my life difficult!
Cut the tube off the radiator and give it a better angle.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thanks Mike.

Brian - I contemplated it, but I'm a chicken!
I've thought about just cutting the tube shorter, V cutting it then pulling it back a bit to make it straight & re-welding, or cutting it off completely & welding on a straight tube.

I decided not to for a few reasons.
1) trying to keep debris/metal shavings out of the radiator when cutting is difficult. There are things that help with this (turning the radiator tube down when cutting so metal falls down/out vs. in), but it's hard to be certain nothing gets in the radiator.
2) The aluminum on this this is really thin & I'd hate to blow a hole welding it up & be chasing that. Yes I can weld aluminum, but I'm not the best at it and am a bit out of practice - so I chickened out.

I spent a bit of time on lunch messing with this some more & have the tube cut & tacked up. Will do final welding tonight I believe. Tried to take pics but my phone is out of memory AGAIN. Been this was since the little one was born - too many pics
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

oh yeah - reason 3 to add to above. If I ever mess up this radiator & have to order another one I'd have to weld the tube on the radiator all over again!
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I'm guessing you're going to end up using one of those donuts with really tight radii to make the hose less kinked but I could be wrong on that :-)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

naw - I used what I had ordered originally for it = 1 2.5" CLR 90* bend and 1 3.0" CLR 90* bend. Looking at it now 2 2.5" CLR bends woulda been a little better, but it's almost done. As I said it's all tacked up & ready to be welded. Fell asleep on the couch last night before the wife went to bed so didn't get any welding done.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Contorted lower radiator tube finished up

Also welded up the batt. boxes, although now part of me is thinking I should just set up a dual batt. box on the driver's side like I've seen some guys do.
I'm thinking I'll just run 1 batt. for now and put the BHAF where the pass side box was. I can then build a 2 batt. box & add a second batt. later on if I want/need.

Time to get to finishing up the support brackets for the AMP step mounts, running the e-brake cables & then either looking at the twin stick shifter setup, headlight mounts, fuel line run or the air intake. So many "little" things left to keep plugging away at!
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

Steve, do you have any pics of a super cab or a crew cab with a flat bed chase rack type of setup?

Thanks
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Contorted lower radiator tube finished up

Also welded up the batt. boxes, although now part of me is thinking I should just set up a dual batt. box on the driver's side like I've seen some guys do.
I'm thinking I'll just run 1 batt. for now and put the BHAF where the pass side box was. I can then build a 2 batt. box & add a second batt. later on if I want/need.

Time to get to finishing up the support brackets for the AMP step mounts, running the e-brake cables & then either looking at the twin stick shifter setup, headlight mounts, fuel line run or the air intake. So many "little" things left to keep plugging away at!
Bitchin!
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Very nice man. How long till she turns over? Looks like your getting pretty close now.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Quailhunter wrote:Steve, do you have any pics of a super cab or a crew cab with a flat bed chase rack type of setup?

Thanks
Don't think I have anything with a flat bed/chase rack Rob. Ive got a pic of a crew with a utility bed, & then pics of Greg's 78 yellow truck with a chase rack, or then pics of my crew and supercab when each of them had the chase rack on, but I think that's it. Flat bed pics are easy to find, but not the desert chase truck type setup like you are thinking.

dtbback wrote:Bitchin!
Thanks

Rmc wrote:Very nice man. How long till she turns over? Looks like your getting pretty close now.
No clue. I'm getting closER, but still lots of little stuff to do. Been doing a few small things, but not much worth mentioning or posting pics of. Stuff like trying to work out the e-brake, brackets for my AMP steps, etc.
I did paint the exhaust black with high temp paint though. The one section of aluminized steel that was a different color was bugging me. Plus this makes it hide a little better
Exhaust painted 3-10-15.JPG
Exhaust painted 3-10-15.JPG (114.58 KiB) Viewed 871 times
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

Right on.....Thanks.

I love how you are running the exhaust, very slick Battery boxes double slick!