A pair of 74's...

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: A pair of 74's...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Wait - did you just use Autofab and cheap in the same sentence????

All joking aside I will make my own solid (poly) mounts that are very similar to some I have seen Jonh sell (not sure on part #) but cheaper and TIG welded ;)
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

A weekend in the dirt had me all excited to get back to work on this bad boy!

Therefore I got started playing with engine mount location. It was REALLY nice to borrow my buddies foam 302 block for this. How many people do you know that can rest their engine here???

The thing seems to fit OK - I just need to gut a tranny and bolt it to the back of this thing to test all clearances. I even held up the long tube headers I got and they seem to clear. My one concern right now is the bottom of this extra deep pan hitting on the steering linkages at full bump. I might not be able to lower the motor much unless I make a custom oil pan (which I am tempted to do).

Also I drilled out all 4 body mounts so I can get the final measurements for my aluminum body mounts.

These 2 bad boys make quick work of the drilling.

And QUICKLY lead to this

And then we have my temporary body mounts :lol:
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Unibits are one of man's greatest accomplishments.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

FINALLY getting around to machining the body mounts. I'm no machinist by any means, but they'll do...

2 front uppers (male), 1 front lower (female) and 1 rear upper (male) are cut. Hopefully I'll get another hour on the lathe tonight and get a bit more cut...

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Had a little time in the shop today so I got the body mounts in, and I will admit they look SEXY!

I guess they aren't totally in as I don't have the real bolts yet (just had tester ones to figure length), but the "pucks" are in the truck.

Here's how that "male" section sits in the factory towers

Here's how they'll look bolted up

And this one shows what my limiting factor was with how much smaller than stock I could make them - the floor. it is sitting on the frame rail now. I would have loved to have been able to lower the body another 1/2" or more but oh well - I'll take what I can get...

It's time for bed now. It's almost midnight and I have to be at the shop by 7 AM or earlier so I can get to welding on Tony's "Princess"...
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

Looks good!
But... (you've prolly got this covered, and I've said this before)

Have you factored in just how much these frames are designed to flex.
On my Highboy the bed is dead from years of flexing and vibration and it is on rubber.
I picked the front wheel up with a fork lift only 24 inches the relative motion between the cab and bed was near 8 inches. Drove it up the loading ramp gave the same results.
I don't think I'll ever solid mount or frame tie another body or cage that does not include full frame plating/boxing; but that is just me :lol:
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

ChaseTruck754 wrote: Image

You need to wash your coffee cup Steve. I like your mounts. Looks like you actually know how to turn something, unlike many wannabe machinists I've seen. Have you considered making kits? Bronco kits? I would be a customer.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Dust wrote:Looks good!
But... (you've prolly got this covered, and I've said this before)

Have you factored in just how much these frames are designed to flex.
On my Highboy the bed is dead from years of flexing and vibration and it is on rubber.
I picked the front wheel up with a fork lift only 24 inches the relative motion between the cab and bed was near 8 inches. Drove it up the loading ramp gave the same results.
I don't think I'll ever solid mount or frame tie another body or cage that does not include full frame plating/boxing; but that is just me :lol:
I do know these frames flex like crazy. This thing will be getting a complete tip to tale roll cage that will be bolted to the frame and welded to the body. It should work - we'll see.

I'm not a huge fan of boxing frames so this truck won't be getting it.

yikes wrote:You need to wash your coffee cup Steve. I like your mounts. Looks like you actually know how to turn something, unlike many wannabe machinists I've seen. Have you considered making kits? Bronco kits? I would be a customer.
That pic was taken at my uncles shop - where I was using his lathe. The coffee cup is just water to dunk parts that get hot while grinding (grinder, saw, etc. is right there), etc. in.

While I can make stuff look ok on the machines - I'm not good or fast at it. It would take me forever to reproduce these and therefore I'd have to charge a ton for them. Not worth it for either party in that case if you ask me. Now if you want to work on me drawing up something you can give to a machine shop and have them turn down for you - that may be an option.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

64" deavers and fuel cell are about to be GAME ON!

After Pismo I will hopefully be making some progress...
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

I think an econoline oil pan will give you more steering clearance and still hold 6 quarts. There is the added benefit of not dripping oil all over the crossmember when you drain the pan. You will probably need the oil pickup too.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Wait - did you just use Autofab and cheap in the same sentence????

Autofab glass is cheap if you factor in paying someone to spend hours fitting the shit other companies sell and then getting the bill from the painter.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'll have to look into the econoline oil pan. For now the milodon may just be a place holder as I was going to be looking at possibly welding up my own. Or rather modifying the stock one to a larger capacity and good shape.

Still going to disagree Philo... Johns stuff, while still better than most is getting worse over time. Maybe the molds are getting old - who knows. Plus I don't have people paint stuff ($$ for my projects goes to more important things usually) so that part doesn't phase me.

The fenders I had made on the other hand blows "off road" fiberglass away in fit and finish. There is a reason I went to somebody outside the industry to do the glass...
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

rock on steve......... finish this one before you get side tracked with something else!i'd hate to see it parked with your ranger...haha
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I will have NO MORE of that for sure Scott. 5 projects sitting here and I FINALLY learned I CANNOT take on any more until all of the above are sold or driving.

I am now a man on a mission. None of the cars/trucks will be "done" any time soon, but my goal is to have 3 of the above (crew, supercab and alfa) driveable in the next 6 months.

I've never been good at making deadlines before - so we'll see...
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:I will have NO MORE of that for sure Scott. 5 projects sitting here and I FINALLY learned I CANNOT take on any more until all of the above are sold or driving.

I am now a man on a mission. None of the cars/trucks will be "done" any time soon, but my goal is to have 3 of the above (crew, supercab and alfa) driveable in the next 6 months.

I've never been good at making deadlines before - so we'll see...

Attitude and Deadline's, the two things we learned in Baja being demonstrated right here!! Well done soldier!
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Why do you think I'm in no hurry to cut up the F250 LOL...... I have 2 projects in front of it that need finishing. Plus it drives, I have a real hard time taking apart a running vehicle. It's like bad karma or something.........
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

See this one doesn't drive yet - that's how it cut in line in front of the crew cab. I want to get it driving and then get back to the crew cab and get that driving. My problem is I don't like doing things twice, so some of the stuff (deavers, fuel cell) will go in now...

Started tearing the rear apart last night and remembered how much I HATE rivets! I need to borrow a larger impact hammer as these things do NOT want to come out...
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Started tearing the rear apart last night and remembered how much I HATE rivets! I need to borrow a larger impact hammer as these things do NOT want to come out...
Hey Steve... I can't wait to see this when you're done... this looks terrific! As far as rivets... they are a huge pain in the a**. I got my system down and they come out ok, but it's still not easy!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

More fighting of the rivets tonight - but I got all the ones I was fighting with out finally. I kind of have a "system" as well - but these ones needed an extra step added. They just take FOREVER and it gets annoying. I'm done with rivets for a while now, but in a few weeks I'll attack another section and do some more until I get annoyed again. Then take another break then do more. And repeat until the evil bastards are all gone!

I started looking at relocating the stock hangers for the 64" deavers and I realized the stock hangers won't fit the military wrap on the deavers. I'm now deciding whether I want to be cool and make my own hangers or smart and buy some prefab (GMR maybe) ones????

Here's a quick photo with the frame rails stripped and the fuel cell bladder generally in place. It will move up an inch or 2 but it's close. Now I have to order the aluminum to make the can for the thing....
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Awesome to see you making progress on sb!