Where should I start?

97PSD
Bronco Info: 1997 Ford F-250 HD, Ext cab, LB, XLT, 4x4, 7.3L PS Diesel, E4OD

Where should I start?

Post by 97PSD »

Hey guys (and gals?) I've been waiting and waiting to start building my truck into a decent desert rig while still being a competent DD. With me selling my other truck I'll have some funds to start with. Only thing is that I have a list but not real starting place. Truck is mostly stock, just exhaust and PO installed helper airbags out back. I do tow with it but nothing huge, 3 maybe 4000 pounds.

I was thinking mild to moderate suspension, tastful fiberglass fenders/hood up front (nothing crazy), 33-35 BFG a/t or baja's, Maybe a mild bedcage (tucked tight inside the bed to maintain cargo room. I'd keep a spare and jack and such way out back to keep it more ballanced.

On a side note, has anyone lengthened a Dana 50 TTB? Only thing I'm worried about up front is controlling the 1000 Diesel iron block up front. Search only turned up guys putting 50's on the little trucks. Would beefy coils/coilovers possibly work or am I doomed to a life of leafs and/or not-so-long travel? Thank you in advance.
-Greg

1997 Ford F-250 HD XLT. Extended cab, long bed.
7.3L Diesel, 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LSD's.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Where should I start?

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Look here for the d50 ttb stuff.
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 64&start=0

Not a widened one, but VERY nicely done on a heavy truck & works really well.

Tom's truck is what inspired me to go 4wd/TTB when I finally build the supercab.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

97PSD wrote:Hey guys (and gals?) I've been waiting and waiting to start building my truck into a decent desert rig while still being a competent DD. With me selling my other truck I'll have some funds to start with. Only thing is that I have a list but not real starting place. Truck is mostly stock, just exhaust and PO installed helper airbags out back. I do tow with it but nothing huge, 3 maybe 4000 pounds.

I was thinking mild to moderate suspension, tastful fiberglass fenders/hood up front (nothing crazy), 33-35 BFG a/t or baja's, Maybe a mild bedcage (tucked tight inside the bed to maintain cargo room. I'd keep a spare and jack and such way out back to keep it more ballanced.

On a side note, has anyone lengthened a Dana 50 TTB? Only thing I'm worried about up front is controlling the 1000 Diesel iron block up front. Search only turned up guys putting 50's on the little trucks. Would beefy coils/coilovers possibly work or am I doomed to a life of leafs and/or not-so-long travel? Thank you in advance.
Hey Greg,
Do you know what your truck weighs? Front/rear? To be direct, I do believe you can get rid of those leaves and go coilover. You'll just have to go heavier/beefier than the ½-ton group... Both Steve (Chasetruck754) and Philo have been working with bigger/heavier trucks so it all can be tackled.
97PSD

Post by 97PSD »

Thank you for the help gents! Baja250, your truck is gorgeous!!! I havent gotten too deep into that thread (thanks ChaseTruck for the link) but I'm definitely geting some great ideas about the front, My main concern at the moment is getting it wider to help keep it right side up. Nothing too extreme, but I want wider than stock after raising it about 4". I also like using the stock mounting location instead of a drop bracket to keep good ground clearance (this will see desert but also some rocks and trails in the mountains). As for weight; the diesel motor weighs a bit over 1000 lbs with all the fluids and whatnot so ball park is 400 lbs more than a small block gasser, I'm guessing 300 more than the 460. Luckily the longer wheel base will help me even out the weight better. I'm thinking fiberglass front fenders and hood and then just trimming the rear but keeping it steel to help balance some more.

Time to study to figure out how I'm going to do my front suspension....
-Greg

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Let me sum up the lesson for you:

Spends lots of $$

or maybe less $$ and LOTS of time.

either way it'll be some work, but cool in the end! Love your crew cab!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Changing the front to a radius arm / coil over will be a huge upgrade. Coilovers will handle the weight no problem other than you will need a little bit heavier springs. 400/600 would be a good starting point. TTs use up to 800 lb springs in front so I know the shocks can handle the weight. I have 6" extended Dana 50 beams for my crew cab.

The rear would really need a 2 link setup to keep the torque/weight of the truck from damaging the springs. Deaver and National both make springs that will fit.

Is your truck a IDI or Powerstroke 7.3? Overall the extra weight on the front really doesn't make that much difference.

*** EDIT *** I see from your screen name you have a 97. Is it a long bed or short bed? EDIT #2. Just noticed your sig. I'm a retard today.
Last edited by philofab on Fri May 04, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Greg,
Thanks for your Service shipmate... Semper Fidelis!
97PSD

Post by 97PSD »

@ PhiloFab: As you've found out, Its a PSD and long bed, haha. I like your set up with the extended ttb's. I was planning on a sprung under rear to help prevent axle wrap and still allow me to have a good payload... maybe quick release airbags? Hmmmm....

@BajaF250: Oohrah sir! When were you in?

@ChaseTruck: time and money are two things in very short supply, coupled with only having my driveway to wrench on my truck. I'm taking classes when I can to build my fab skills.
-Greg