Welp i Replaced the Bronco...

Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Welp i Replaced the Bronco...

Post by Becks_Bronco »

With an XJ :shock:

It already has a 3" lift, i think from rubicon express. I don't plan on doing anything crazy really, just ordered 5160's for it. Gonna do deaver coils and leafs, long arms for the front. maybe 32's, a swing out bumper for the rear to free up space inside, and a tube bumper for the front. The jeep guys love their plated winch bumpers, but it's just not my style.

P.s. Tony, i saw you driving on Katella in your cute VW on Saturday ;)
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Welp i Replaced the Bronco...

Post by philofab »

That thing is clean.

I have a friend that bought a 98 for $20. That thing is actually a decent little SUV. Tows a trailer ok and seems to get ok mileage.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Becks_Bronco wrote: P.s. Tony, i saw you driving on Katella in your cute VW on Saturday ;)

You should have called me!! Were you driving your new cute little SUV hahaha...

the XJ is a awesome little rig, but definitely Jack of All Trades and Master of none. I got rid of mine when I wanted more than 10" of travel!!
poolman
Bronco Info: 84 Bronco,Body off reconstruction. Auto Fab suspension,mix of 84-96 parts.

Post by poolman »

I love "Jeep Speeders" i'm a Chrysler parts guy if you need something,pm

Fisher Dodge Yuma 928-217-6136
84 Bronco 351W,C-6,9 Inch,Work in process
83 Bronco 302,C-6,8.8, beater for parts
94 Bronco roller for parts
91 F150 4x4for parts
96 Bronco for parts
84 Bronco for 351W
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

poolman wrote:I love "Jeep Speeders" i'm a Chrysler parts guy if you need something,pm

Fisher Dodge Yuma 928-217-6136
Definitely will do! Thanks :)
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

tcm glx wrote:
Becks_Bronco wrote: P.s. Tony, i saw you driving on Katella in your cute VW on Saturday ;)

You should have called me!! Were you driving your new cute little SUV hahaha...

the XJ is a awesome little rig, but definitely Jack of All Trades and Master of none. I got rid of mine when I wanted more than 10" of travel!!
I was gonna but then we got to where we were going and i forgot. boo.

Yeah, that's actually why i got it, i realized i wanted a reliable, smaller, more expeditionary type vehicle. It's gonna be a mild trail rig with good shocks so i can hammer down on dirt roads and open terrain if i want :)
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

philofab wrote:That thing is clean.

I have a friend that bought a 98 for $20. That thing is actually a decent little SUV. Tows a trailer ok and seems to get ok mileage.
I was happy to find out mine has the HO 4.0 with 190hp and 225lbft. Not too shabby for a 3500lb truck.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

what was jeep thinking with a 210* thermostat... ordered a 180* one from summit w/ a new housing.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

That's an awesome shade of green! Nice Jeep.
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Becks_Bronco wrote:what was jeep thinking with a 210* thermostat... ordered a 180* one from summit w/ a new housing.
XJ's are awesome and I've ridden in one that had 33's that got at least 12 inches of travel with a Rock Krawler long arm kit with TJ Unlimited Coils. It handled really well and tore through the washes really nice. :D

It also had Bilstein 5160's.. good choice by the way. Its worth mentioning that if you have the NP231 you don't need to carry a spare driveshaft since the front and rear are the same length and are also interchangeable.

Anyways, on to my point. I'm assuming you have a 4.0L inline 6.. they're great motors but they tend to run a little on the warm side. We drove with the heater on at an acceptable level for 200 dirt miles and it ran really good and never overheated. I always run my CJ7 with the heater on so it runs cooler. I think the heating issue has something to do with the lack of airflow in the engine bay for XJ's... My CJ's problem is the fan is meant for a standard rotation and is bolted to my reverse rotation water pump. It seems to run fine though so I just keep leaving it the way it is.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Agui-E7TE wrote:
Becks_Bronco wrote:what was jeep thinking with a 210* thermostat... ordered a 180* one from summit w/ a new housing.
XJ's are awesome and I've ridden in one that had 33's that got at least 12 inches of travel with a Rock Krawler long arm kit with TJ Unlimited Coils. It handled really well and tore through the washes really nice. :D

It also had Bilstein 5160's.. good choice by the way. Its worth mentioning that if you have the NP231 you don't need to carry a spare driveshaft since the front and rear are the same length and are also interchangeable.

Anyways, on to my point. I'm assuming you have a 4.0L inline 6.. they're great motors but they tend to run a little on the warm side. We drove with the heater on at an acceptable level for 200 dirt miles and it ran really good and never overheated. I always run my CJ7 with the heater on so it runs cooler. I think the heating issue has something to do with the lack of airflow in the engine bay for XJ's... My CJ's problem is the fan is meant for a standard rotation and is bolted to my reverse rotation water pump. It seems to run fine though so I just keep leaving it the way it is.
The driveshaft trick only works if You have a slip yoke eliminator.......

As or the heating thing, Augi is spot on. Not enough airflow. Add some hood vents, the Lebaron ones are popular.
Last edited by tcm glx on Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

tcm glx wrote: The driveshaft trick ny works if You have a slip yoke eliminator.......

As or he heading thing, Augi is spot on. Not enough airflow. Add some hood vents, the Lebanon ones are popular.
Tony has an iphone so let me translate

As FOR THE heaTing thing, Augi is spot on. Not enough airflow. Add some hood vents, the LebaRon ones are popular. :lol: :lol:

Not sure anyone wants Lebanon hood vents..... ;)

sent from my iDesk doing nothing. :D
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Silverslk wrote:
tcm glx wrote: The driveshaft trick ny works if You have a slip yoke eliminator.......

As or he heading thing, Augi is spot on. Not enough airflow. Add some hood vents, the Lebanon ones are popular.

As FOR THE heaTing thing, Augi is spot on. Not enough airflow. Add some hood vents, the LebaRon ones are popular. :lol: :lol:

Hahaha. This is becoming a ritual isn't it.......
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Haha yeah, they all seem to love hood vents. I'm hoping the lower rated thermostat and a nice aluminum radiotor will help. I like the clean look of the stock hood.

Any reccomendations for a SYE Tony? There's seemingly unlimited options. I have the NP321 tcase.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Haha yeah, they all seem to love hood vents. I'm hoping the lower rated thermostat and a nice aluminum radiotor will help. I like the clean look of the stock hood.

Any reccomendations for a SYE Tony? There's seemingly unlimited options. I have the NP321 tcase.

I actually never ran a SYE. If your staying low, you can get away with a transfer case drop and call it good.
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

tcm glx wrote:
Becks_Bronco wrote:Haha yeah, they all seem to love hood vents. I'm hoping the lower rated thermostat and a nice aluminum radiotor will help. I like the clean look of the stock hood.

I actually never ran a SYE. If your staying low, you can get away with a transfer case drop and call it good.
Tony, he has the 97+....remember? They are sensitive to height more than our older ones were.

I ran the AA Sye in mine but it was bought through another site (cheaper) and I added the TeraLow 2 low kit while rebuilding/installing everything.

As for T-stat.....not a good idea. The computer needs to see a certain temperature to go from open loop to closed loop control. You will get horrible mileage with a colder T-stat. Do some research before just adding stuff. Its not a 1975 Chevy. hahaha
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Aw really? Dang, so it's gonna keep the warmer t-stat.

And the t-case drop is to fix pinion angle issue? It seems to be a common thing, but to be honest it's just a bandaid and i'd rather do it the right way.

It's funny, you guys are giving me more, and better advice than JeepForum.

<3 you all haha
Silverslk

Post by Silverslk »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Aw really? Dang, so it's gonna keep the warmer t-stat.

And the t-case drop is to fix pinion angle issue? It seems to be a common thing, but to be honest it's just a bandaid and i'd rather do it the right way.

<3 you all haha
Best forum is www.NAXJA.org

Good group of guys and very helpful.
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Aw really? Dang, so it's gonna keep the warmer t-stat.

<3 you all haha

Haha, I get ideas and advise on here for all my trucks and GFB as a group seems to have more knowlege about everything automotive and even other subjects than any other group.

Andy's right about the T-stat needing to be for a higher temperature to get the best fuel economy. Just run it with the heater on the defroster in the low setting and it should be enough to keep it cool. Those inline 6 engines are almost bulletproof so everything else should not give you any problems.
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Silverslk wrote:

Hahaha! I didn't even notice some letters were missing and I still understood it.