Re: Yup another Philofab Project... 1971 Ford F100

Post by Nick »

Looking forward to seeing what you do!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

philofab wrote:I measured the rear frame rails for a modern fuel tank and they are a bit narrower than newer trucks (29" vs 32"). I may still try and squeeze a 90s Ford Bronco tank in there. 33 gallons of capacity would be nice. If not I'll build a tank that fits the dimensions of the rear frame or have a tank builder in Havasu do it.
I think those frame rails are the old SAE 34". A Bronco II tank might work. A lot of folks put in 1970 Mustang 22 gal tanks. Dodge may still run that spacing.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =7&t=46022
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Yup another Philofab Project... 1971 Ford F100

Post by philofab »

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure if I want the filler in the center of the bed. I was really hoping for a 20mpg truck with a 500+ mile range (get to California and back without fuel).

I'll look into oversized Bronco II tanks.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Jaz ... 20294.html

This might be an option too, except for the filler. There may be enough room if I flatten some 2" tubing for the fill and sandwich it between the cell and floor.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

That is a nice tank.

Camper Specials had side mounted tanks. I doubt they are what you are looking for, but just letting you know they exist. I will be interested in what you come up with as the 62 has the same issue.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Anyone know if 68-69 drum brake beams are different? I know the spindles are but the extra beams would be nice to modify without taking the truck apart.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Picked up some wheels in Vegas yesterday. No luck on a motor yet.

These will be converted into bead locks. The offset will allow me to keep the truck low on the big tires. They are factory on 02+ Dodge Ram 1500s. 17" Diameter, 5x5.5, and I got the set for $60.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Looks like the beams have the same casting numbers.... they are drum brake beams on the truck so someone swapped disk spindles/knuckles on them. I've got a factory 3.50LS 9" center here I may run or I might just recycle the 9" out of my Bronco on this truck. A late model 9" is wider so not sure on clearance.

Not entirely sure what I want for gearing. 3.50 might feel ok, 3.73 or 4.11 might be better. No OD or lockup and I don't want it screaming at 80mph.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yes beams should be the same - just the spindles/uprights are different (how much different I'm not sure) so as you said - swap on some disk spindles & go!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

philofab wrote:Anyone know if 68-69 drum brake beams are different? I know the spindles are but the extra beams would be nice to modify without taking the truck apart.
I asked about beams today, and apparently there are many different versions. The best have 1" king pins and were found in SOME 1 tons. Nothing is consistent, and there are even 3 different 1" versions, with the heaviest being the best. Most are 7/8".
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

300 wrote:[Nothing is consistent
This about sums up what I
I've seen from the 60's/70's Fords.

If you want a run down on beams/kingpins give me a call. I figured you knew a bunch already so I didn't add much to my post above.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Picked up some crappy old shocks off of CL for the front. 14x2.5s with a 350/450 rate. I've got to rebuild and clean them.

I kind of want this truck to be pretty so don't be surprised if it ends up with new Bilstein shocks before it's done.
Joxracing
Bronco Info: 1989 Ford F-150, 6" deaver in front...soon. 351w, 33" BFG MudTerrains

Post by Joxracing »

those are crappy?
Psh....
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Got some parts from Ruff Stuff Specialties today.

LS motor mounts and two shock mount buckets.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

I started cleaning the bed out and was pleasantly surprised to it's condition. The inside is in very good shape, the tailgate even works well. I still need to pressure wash it out then start stripping the paint but I doubt I'll find any filler in there. I also started pulling the nasty interior out. All of it is glued with 3M spray adhesive so it's should be fun sanding / stripping all that off. I need to get the seat and the fuel tank out too. I'm worried about what I will find underneath the dash.

I also think I will build one piece side windows for this. I've never been a fan of vent windows and I've built 1pc stuff for 67-72 Chevy's before. I also installed a no-limit kit into a 49 Chevy pickup but it was just as much work as building my own. Has anyone done this on a 67-72 before? I'd like to keep the manual cranks but I'll go power if I have to.

philofab
Basura Blanca

Yup another Philofab Project... 1971 Ford F100

Post by philofab »

Turbo 400 with fixed yoke and medium duty straight cut gears. Built with 0 miles on it.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

philofab wrote:I started cleaning the bed out and was pleasantly surprised to it's condition. The inside is in very good shape, the tailgate even works well. I still need to pressure wash it out then start stripping the paint but I doubt I'll find any filler in there. I also started pulling the nasty interior out. All of it is glued with 3M spray adhesive so it's should be fun sanding / stripping all that off. I need to get the seat and the fuel tank out too. I'm worried about what I will find underneath the dash.

I also think I will build one piece side windows for this. I've never been a fan of vent windows and I've built 1pc stuff for 67-72 Chevy's before. I also installed a no-limit kit into a 49 Chevy pickup but it was just as much work as building my own. Has anyone done this on a 67-72 before? I'd like to keep the manual cranks but I'll go power if I have to.
That bed looks GOOD!

What are you worried about with the dash? Crap under that low-rider type velvet stuff or what?

As for the solid windows - keep us posted on what you do. I've heard a few guys talk about doing it on the 73-79 trucks but can't remember if anyone has ever done it.
I would think a google search for the topic using ford-trucks.com as the reference site. I'll see if I can dig anything up on this too...
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:That bed looks GOOD!

What are you worried about with the dash? Crap under that low-rider type velvet stuff or what?

As for the solid windows - keep us posted on what you do. I've heard a few guys talk about doing it on the 73-79 trucks but can't remember if anyone has ever done it.
I would think a google search for the topic using ford-trucks.com as the reference site. I'll see if I can dig anything up on this too...
I'm worried about what the dash looks like under that upholstery. I can feel one spot in the center that seems like it's caved in.

The one piece windows will want to run into the hinges. It can be done but will require a bit of work and a filler panel at the front of the window.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:Image

Got some parts from Ruff Stuff Specialties today.

LS motor mounts and two shock mount buckets.
Nice. I've been tempted to use those c/o mounts on various projects. Will you weld them on or make them bolt-on?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:Nice. I've been tempted to use those c/o mounts on various projects. Will you weld them on or make them bolt-on?
I'm going to weld them to plates so they bolt on and add a cross bar. I wish they were a couple inches taller. At 12" above the frame rail they are too short for anything other than a 14" SAW or 14" short body Bilstein.

The plate will wrap around the frame rail to allow a limit strap mount and bump stop if needed. One of the nice things about rear steer is I have tons of room in front of the beam for a mount with no clearance issues.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

[quote="philofab"I'm going to weld them to plates so they bolt on and add a cross bar. I wish they were a couple inches taller. At 12" above the frame rail they are too short for anything other than a 14" SAW or 14" short body Bilstein.[/quote]
You should bring this up to Dan. My guess is he would re-works the files about to cut/make a set a few inches taller if he knew they were something people could use.