6 point cages on f150 super cabs

mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

on a six point cage with 3 hoops (front/mid/rear), is there any reason why you cant run the rear hoop on a F150 super cab outside the cab and retain the stock rear bench seat?
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: 6 point cages on f150 super cabs

Post by philofab »

mesquito_creek wrote:on a six point cage with 3 hoops (front/mid/rear), is there any reason why you cant run the rear hoop on a F150 super cab outside the cab and retain the stock rear bench seat?
You can but it may not pass tech. The tech rules normally state that a rear hoop has to be so close to the drivers head.

I may be misunderstanding you. 4 and 6 point cages only have two hoops. 3 hoops would be 6 or 8 point. The six point will not pass tech due to not have down bars going to the rear.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

I believe he means the rear hoop in a supercab, not the "B" pillar hoop above/behind the drivers head. He is refering to having it immediately behind the cab outside, instaed of inside against the rear cab wall, is this correct?
mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

Exactly as the aussie described and not a tech legal cage, just a pre-runner safety cage. I figure why loose the room in the back extra cab portion... It would still tie together to the front portion through the rear of the cab the same way most tie it into the rear bedcage, but the rear loop that is for the back passenger is external.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Lots of people do it that way. Nothing wrong with it.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

It can be done, but I'd just cut out the inner wall/skin of the cab and tuck it tight to the body. Lots more room majically appears in the cab when you do this. If it worked for my ranger (I can get pics if you want) it will definitely work for an F-150. In fact I plan to cut it out in my '74 supercab, put a 2" cage in and then tack weld all the "inner" sheetmetal back in - hiding the cage. It's more work but the finished product is unreal!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects