The TTB Flareside

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: The TTB Flareside

Post by philofab »

Nice looking truck. Where did you acquire short course tires in Canada?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

I have friends in the States that buy them and a few made it around my shop somehow. I'll put some recent pics up soon, I'm getting it ready for a big local car show. So in a week I should have some good pics! :D :D
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Rednek Renegade wrote:what kind of springs are you using in the rear... It looks like a spring under? :?:
This was on the last page so maybe you missed it. I'm bringing it back up as I myself am curious :)
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

Oops! It's a Giant Motorsports 64" spring under kit. So far I like it alot but I was only running a smooth body shock with it. I just got some King 3" bypasses for the rear so that should make a huge difference!!
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

BajaDale wrote:Oops! It's a Giant Motorsports 64" spring under kit. So far I like it alot but I was only running a smooth body shock with it. I just got some King 3" bypasses for the rear so that should make a huge difference!!
You've probably spoken with Geoff about it but bypasses work well with those springs when you valve them with heavy compression, light rebound, and the valve almost all the way open to make the shock very progressive.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

BajaDale wrote:Oops! It's a Giant Motorsports 64" spring under kit. So far I like it alot but I was only running a smooth body shock with it. I just got some King 3" bypasses for the rear so that should make a huge difference!!
Just the answer I was hoping for actually seeing as I got a set I'm starting to mess with on my '74. In hopes of saving me a little trial and error time with cycling the things can I ask you a few questions???

1 - do you remember how much forward and down you moved the front hanger?
2 - how far back did you put the rear hanger (looks almost like the stock location from the pics)?
3 - how far below the frame does that rear hanger put the shackle and what length shackle are you running?

Thanks!

Here's where I stuck mine last night in a very quick (moved each hanger a bit using existing holes to run bolts in) attempt to just see where these things need to be. Seems like both hangers will need to move toward the back of the truck a bit.

I also have 3" bypass shocks I'll end up running on this thing.
BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

I'll take some measurements tonight. I just bought the whole kit from Geoff so it came with the brackets already fabbed up and drilled. I know I had the long shackle that Geoff makes on the truck at first but it sat too low so he sent me the shorter shackle.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Cool - thanks.

In talking to Geoff briefly I guess he runs a 6" shackle on the F series ones, but a 7.5" shackle on the ranger. The shackle I have is a 7.5" so I was hoping to drop the rear hanger a bit more, but I may end up making a shackle if things are bad. I don't mind a lower ride height but I do need some up travel...

As for hangers - what Geoff said he gets for them blew my mind so I just grabbed some stock hangers I had sitting here (off a 70's chevy) that look like they will work well.
BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

Sorry I haven't measured that stuff yet..... I've been super busy trying to get ready for a local car show this Saturday.

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Damn Dale, I have always lover your rig!! looking great (Although I was somewhat partial to the flareside)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Truck looks GOOD!

What stroke shock do you have on there - a 16" or is it an 18"?

BajaDale wrote:Sorry I haven't measured that stuff yet..... I've been super busy trying to get ready for a local car show this Saturday.
Not a big deal - when you get time is fine. I've got other stuff I can work on in the mean time anyways. But - in looking back at pictures I think our frames might be more different than I thought. With that being the case I came up with a couple measurements that may be more helpful. I drew on one of your pics - but to explain...
I think if you use the bumpstop as a center line and measure how far back of that vertical line the shackle pivots, and then how far below the frame the center of the bolt for the shackle pivot is. Then pretty much the same measurements for the front = distance to center of hanger bolt from bump line and how far below the frame the hanger bolt is. The front is more important than the back though seeing as I think my shackle is longer and therefore my rear hanger might move a bit.
Attachments
's on F-150 measure.jpg
's on F-150 measure.jpg (111.87 KiB) Viewed 1199 times
BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

I'm running an 18" stroke shock mounted on the front of the housing. The bump stop looks a little deceiving in those pics, when the truck is sitting at a static height the bumps are only about an inch back off center line of the housing.
BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

Took it out and had some fun!! Works awesome! Wish I had some action shots and video :(

BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

What a fun truck! Went out today and had a blast!

philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Nice action pic!
BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

philofab wrote:Nice action pic!
Thanks! A buddy of mine (offroadaction) is a off-road photo nut!

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Dude! No more flareside?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

Nice pics! Your truck is awesome!
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Love those action pictures. That came out great!
BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

Thanks! I know Steve, I ditched the flareside when I figured it was worth more to sell the box complete than to hack it all apart to fit on the truck. I thought of getting Autofab flareside box sides but Jason at Fiberwerx helps us out at our shop so I got a pretty good deal on this stuff. This winter will be a 351/C6 and a 9" with 4:88 gears.