1980 Flareside Build

80FlareSide
Bronco Info: Rust Free 1980 F150 Flareside

1980 Flareside Build

Post by 80FlareSide »

Hey all, Matt here. Just joined so I could hopefully draw on all of your knowledge and experience in planning and building up my truck. I have a 1980 F150 Flareside - Custom (which pretty much means it had zero options, even the rear bumper was extra). I am in Connecticut, but its a North Carolina truck and is virtually rust free.

While I love the full-size Fords, my location puts me at a serious disadvantage. 1) 99% of the off-roading done around here is in jeeps on narrow woods trails, and 2) the road salt keeps my baby in the garage pretty much Nov - March. That also means that most (if not all) of the trucks around here are little more than road kings that rarely see anything but pavement.

In an ideal world, I would love to build a baja ready truck over the next few years. I know its ambitous, especially when I dont have anyone local that has done this before, or a good location to do any shakedown runs. I also dont have a huge budget, so I cant really afford to have to do anything twice.

Currently my truck is a stock 302 / C6 with the exception of the following:
4" lift kit (pivot drops and blocks)
Holley 4160 V4
33" BFG's

My immediate plans are to replace the (very tired) 1980 302 with a 351 out of a 95/96 truck (good foundation for future engine build), shorty headers, bassani y-pipe, new TCI C6, rebuild the NP208, HD cooling 3 row radiator, aux trans cooler, Lokar floor shifter, and Mastercraft seats.

Eventually I would like to do an Autofab 18" travel kit in the rear and cut and turns in the front with coilovers. I also expect that I will have to do a significant amount of stiffening to the front end, add some sort of a cage to the cab, and do something about the swiss-cheese frame.

Ive read through BajaF250's thread more times than I can count, and love the sleeper look of it. Any pointers people can provide to help me get this done right are greatly appreciated.
Truck 1.jpg
Truck 1.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
Truck 2.jpg
Truck 2.jpg (101.96 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
Truck 4.jpg
Truck 4.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
Truck 5.jpg
Truck 5.jpg (92.55 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
Last edited by 80FlareSide on Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Re: 1980 Flareside Build

Post by Nick »

Very nice platform to start from!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Matt,
Welcome to the site... I must say, what an absolutely beautiful truck. A great truck to start with... it'll turn out very nicely. You'll find many, many folks here with lots of experience and info for your build... welcome aboard!
80FlareSide

Post by 80FlareSide »

Thanks. Ive had it about a year now and drive it quite regularly around town and to and from work. I had wanted a truck for a while, and agonized over what to get. My father had an '81 F100 2wd style side that I put through a telephone pole and into a tree when I was 16. When I saw this truck, same grill, same exterior color, same interior color, it was a no-brainer to buy it (wife took a bit of convincing though).

Right now the driveline work is planned for my week off in October, with the seats to be put in sometime later in the winter. Once I have that settled out I intend to re-wire it front to back so I can support the dual battery, lights, fans, fuel pump, etc that would otherwise require some ugly pigtailing.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Hey Matt, welcome to the site! Awesome platform, I am a big fan of the 80-86 single cab shortbed..... and the stepside makes it even cooler!!
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Awesome truck!! Welcome. Here are my recommendations. Can't go wrong with Autofab. Southwest makes some nice stuff too. Keep it sleeper looking. I would put a drop center hood on it, but DON'T change the wheels or the bed, or put an update kit on it! My 2 cents.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I love it, Matt! Keep it simple. Stock width, no bling and you'll love it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

That is a nice truck! I like that bed, I might just start looking for one to replace my shortbed's tub. ;)
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Nice looking truck! Whil I'm not really a fan of that front end on the broncos it somehow looks a LOT better on trucks...

What part of Conn are you in? Have a good friend in Glastonbury - it's some beautiful country back there, but I do hear ya on the narrow, trail type stuff being the only "off road" available.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
80FlareSide

Post by 80FlareSide »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:Awesome truck!! Welcome. Here are my recommendations. Can't go wrong with Autofab. Southwest makes some nice stuff too. Keep it sleeper looking. I would put a drop center hood on it, but DON'T change the wheels or the bed, or put an update kit on it! My 2 cents.
Not sure if I should keep the current wheels. Best I can figure is that they are from TireRack.com. I know I can get an extra 1 or 2 from them, but they require a thin-wall socket to get the lug-nuts out. Would prefer something a bit easier to get on and off with a torque wrench.

As for the drop hood, I have seen them on a few rigs here already. I like the look, but does it serve any other purpose? Would I be able to keep the F O R D across the front?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Drop center hoods gain you 2-3 FEET of extra visibility in front of the truck. Very useful at times. And yes you can add the F O R D letters to the fiberglass hood.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

80FlareSide wrote:
ESHALLBETTER wrote:Awesome truck!! Welcome. Here are my recommendations. Can't go wrong with Autofab. Southwest makes some nice stuff too. Keep it sleeper looking. I would put a drop center hood on it, but DON'T change the wheels or the bed, or put an update kit on it! My 2 cents.
Not sure if I should keep the current wheels. Best I can figure is that they are from TireRack.com. I know I can get an extra 1 or 2 from them, but they require a thin-wall socket to get the lug-nuts out. Would prefer something a bit easier to get on and off with a torque wrench.

As for the drop hood, I have seen them on a few rigs here already. I like the look, but does it serve any other purpose? Would I be able to keep the F O R D across the front?
Hey Matt,
Yeah, Steve is right, the drop center hood does had some great "extra" visibility. I've been running a drop center on my truck for many years and absolutely love it. It also adds a very distinctive style and look. And yes, you'd be able to run F O R D on the front. I may not be as prominent because the hood won't have the same flat rise in the front... but you can certainly see how it looks!
80FlareSide

Post by 80FlareSide »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Nice looking truck! Whil I'm not really a fan of that front end on the broncos it somehow looks a LOT better on trucks...

What part of Conn are you in? Have a good friend in Glastonbury - it's some beautiful country back there, but I do hear ya on the narrow, trail type stuff being the only "off road" available.

Thanks, I am in a small town called New Hartford in the Northwest Corner, probably only 45 min or so from Glastonbury (but then nothing is really more than an hour or 2 from anything in CT). We have a lot of trees, and cold snowy winters and I love them both.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

80FlareSide wrote:
ChaseTruck754 wrote:Nice looking truck! Whil I'm not really a fan of that front end on the broncos it somehow looks a LOT better on trucks...

Thanks, I am in a small town called New Hartford in the Northwest Corner, probably only 45 min or so from Glastonbury (but then nothing is really more than an hour or 2 from anything in CT). We have a lot of trees, and cold snowy winters and I love them both.
I went to grade school and lived in Granby (north central CT) for a few years... beautiful country... we used to drive some of the trails... very nice.
80FlareSide

Post by 80FlareSide »

BajaF250 wrote:I went to grade school and lived in Granby (north central CT) for a few years... beautiful country... we used to drive some of the trails... very nice.
I drive through Granby Center every day to and from work. I grew up here, lived in NYC for a while, then Boston, RI, and back to little New Hartford. Always wanted to move out west, but the timing was never right.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Once you run out of visibility over the hood you have to just look up and blindly aim for where there are no cactus! Ha! Plus the drop center hood looks bitchin'
80FlareSide

NP208 T-Case Rebuild Kits?

Post by 80FlareSide »

So following both my wife getting laid off and 2 feet of flood water in my house from Hurricane Irene, the engine & transmission swap plan found itself suddenly de-funded. It is put off atleast until the spring when I have saved the money to do it right.

In the mean time I am am going to proceed with some smaller items like Line-X on the bed sides and steps, stainless skid strips, and a 10 ft quality sand, stain and spar-varnish job on the wood. Along with that I am going to rebuild my t-case since its dripping a cup of fluid a month. Looking at the different vendors (BGY, Rock Auto, Yukon Gears, etc) I see a wide range of prices, with very little to indicate what parts they actually include. I would like this to be a one-time deal, so who has the highest quality, most comprehensive, reasonably (note not lowest) priced kit? I tried the search function and didnt come up with much on this topic.

thanks - matt
80FlareSide

Post by 80FlareSide »

So its been almost 2 years since I started this thread and I have accomplished little of what I initially set out to do. What have I done? Well here is a list:

Replace the sheetrock in my garage and basement with plywood that I can unscrew from the wall next time the river floods.
Buck and split 4 cords of wood from deadfalls following 28" of snow in October with the leaves still on the trees
Rebuild transfer case
Replace steering shaft the Borgeson shaft
Replace all body mounts with Poly mounts
Replace all u-joints
Replace all front end bushings with poly
Replace ball joints
Replace brake proportioning valve
Replace MC to proportioning valve lines
Wife had baby
Replace small 2 row radiator with large 3 row radiator
Modify core support to fit larger radiator
Put on LED tail lights
Replace all steering linkage
Install overpriced "Ford" air filter wing-nut
New coil, plugs, wires

By the time that was all done, it was salt season here, she was back off the road for another few months.

The other day, driving home I started to notice clouds of smoke spilling out from the under the wheel wells. When popped the hood I found the drivers side valve cover soaked in oil. Something in the old 302 must have let go, and there was so much blow-by that oil was pouring out of the breather.

I have the 1995 351 roller motor now torn down to the short block. Bores look good, plan is to re-ring it, new cam, new aluminum heads, bassani headers & y-pipe, msd sparks, one-wire alternator, new ps pump, and most importanly, new a/c compressor, and restore the interior portion of the dealer air.

Other things on the list that I will be doing, and will be collecting parts for are:

3.00 gears to 3.50 - 3.96
C&T front end
Extended and heimed radius arms
Deaver progressive leafs 4"
5100 shocks
engine cage and coil overs or extended buckets and Deaver 5.5 coils
NP435 4-Speed
80-86 fiberglass flared front fenders
80-86 autofab drop center hood

If anyone has any of this laying around, please let me know
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Wow, look forward to the build, I love step sides

Congrats on the baby!

Sorry to hear about the damage from Irene...
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

Congrats! Boy or Girl? The interior on that thing looks nice. Makes me think about doing blue carpet instead of black.