The F-Bomb

squirelmurphy
Bronco Info: No broncos, but I have a 73 f100 with a big block. Does that count?

Re: The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

Baja- You probably saw me the day I took it to get the glass put in. I've seen your Bronco around a time or two, I live in Rossmoor, I'm sure it was around there somewhere.

The top mount provides extra support, same concept as a mid-plate. That's a pretty long span between the motor and trans mounts, it definitely couldn't hurt. John Ehmke suggested some kind of support, so I thought of this, then my man Jason built it. You can see it hanging down in some of the pictures before the motor was installed.

Otherwise,I'm still plugging away. I should be picking up my driveshaft(s) this week. I'm waiting to try a different set of headers before I start cutting up the one I have. The list of things to do is still pretty long, but it's getting shorter.
squirelmurphy
Bronco Info: No broncos, but I have a 73 f100 with a big block. Does that count?

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

I poked around today and got a couple of things done. I pulled my dash out and cut out the ash tray/lighter area. Then I fitted up a piece to replace it. I want to make room for an a/c vent.

I also added some trim around the tail lights. I blacked out the area around the lens to help hide the funky fiberglass fit. These early metal buckets take a different lens with 4 screws, of course they don't repo these. I scored a pair of NOS ones on eBay. So, in honor of Memorial Day, here's some red to go with the white and blue.

cypher
Bronco Info: 1994 Ford Bronco w/ Southwest Performance suspension

Post by cypher »

Nice work. Coming along nicely. This is a dream build for me. Look forward to seeing it in action.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

FYI gloss clear coat out of a gun properly applied makes old lenses dn near new looking again. Dish soap, gray scotchbrite, clean with dish soap again, then end with alcohol cleaner, spray
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

dtbback wrote:
ChaseTruck754 wrote:They typically pick up the 2 upper holes of the bellhousing attachment to the motor.
I have a few ideas for why it's done but can you tell me why anyway?
Just another tie in to keep the motor from flopping around. Similar to a motor plate in a rigid mounted setup like on a TT, but with a bushing for a bit of flex here.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I like the idea of that upper mount with a bushing. It helps distribute the torque on the motor mounts. I might incorporate an upper mount when I do my new engine cage. Even thought I have Auto fab motor mounts. I would use the same bushings Auto Fab uses on their motor mounts.

I like how clean the engine cage turned out. Great job.
squirelmurphy

Post by squirelmurphy »

That's exactly what was used, Autofab bushings. On both the top mount and trans mount. These should compliment the Autofab motor mounts nicely. Everything is consistent since all the bushings are the same.

This was one of the things I wanted to do to hopefully give the truck some longevity.

I just realized that the 500 is in less than 2 weeks. I'm going to need to do a quick prep on the van, before heading south. I can't wait to get back to Baja. I'm pretty confident this will be the last time without the truck in tow. That feels like more than just light at the end of the tunnel, it feels like fresh air.
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

I really like how you finished up the tail lights with the beauty trim.....looks sharp!
PaleRider
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco with aftermarket lift, BroncoAir bumpers

The F-Bomb

Post by PaleRider »

Good looking rig!
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

What are your plans for a radiator?
squirelmurphy

Post by squirelmurphy »

I've got a dual pass aluminum C&R that only required a small notch to be taken out of the core support. I actually got it from Steve...

Progress has been slow, but steady. I have gathered up a few parts and modified some others. I'm trying to knock out a few projects on the house, then back on the truck.
squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

I haven't updated, but I've been busy. I've been spending all my free time on the truck. I'll try to share some of the pics I've taken along the way.

I got my door panels on for good. I sprayed some old ones gray. I did get new window cranks and lock pulls.

I had my booster rebuilt and added a larger master. Then I ordered my plumbing. I went with the Teflon w/braided outer. I did the trans cooler and fuel lines in this as well.
squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

Things got busy around here. In the beginning, you think you'll have plenty of room. Boy, does it go away fast.

I had to fill the dash to make room for an a/c vent. I had my brother weld it. It saved me lots of bodywork to have him do it instead of me. I gave it a quick paint job in my eco friendly spray booth, utilizing my environmentally friendly drying racks for the small parts.

Dash sneak preview.

There's a whole bunch more stuff done. I just don't have pictures. I'll try to get some. It will be out of the yard and on the trailer next week.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Loving the updates!!! Can you give me some info on the remote reservoir adapters?
squirelmurphy

Post by squirelmurphy »

Everything on my pump and steering box is all converted to AN fittings, so no adapters needed on those ends. You might mean on the hose end? These ends are crimped, and don't swivel. On hoses with two 90's, one end gets a crimped 90, while the other end gets a straight end crimped on. Then an extra fitting is used to deal with clocking/adjustment.
squirelmurphy

Post by squirelmurphy »

I reread the figured out you probably mean the brake m/c. Those were off the shelf parts, though one needed machining to work with that particular m/c. They have a 3/8 pipe thread on top.
squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

The dash is in. I used an ABS plastic dash topper so I could get a clean cut. The foam of the old dash pad was all but impossible to cut cleanly. Besides, I had a less than perfect dash pad to begin with. Sprayed it gray to match the door panels.

squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

Time to pull the cover down, lock up, and go in for the night.

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Beautiful work!
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

One of my favorites. Nice work brotha!