The F-Bomb

squirelmurphy
Bronco Info: No broncos, but I have a 73 f100 with a big block. Does that count?

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

The valve covers are from Blue Thunder. I've always loved those, so I had to have a set. They're heavy cast aluminum, so they look great next to the intake. They're also huge, which is a plus. Image
squirelmurphy
Bronco Info: No broncos, but I have a 73 f100 with a big block. Does that count?

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

I spent some time bolting things to the front of my motor. I also spent some time being frustrated that parts don't fit the way they should. Then I spent time taking an angle grinder to "bolt on" parts. I got sidetracked replacing inadequate hardware, but ultimately, I got some things sorted out.

Some stuff is on right, other things are just posing for a picture. So if anything looks wack, it's because it is.

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: The F-Bomb

Post by dtbback »

I love billet accessory brackets.
squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

I finally pushed it out of the backyard where I could stand back and see it from a distance. I only had it out for a minute before I got it loaded on the trailer. It's going to get front and rear glass put in.

I swear my grass doesn't look that bad in person, but I have been busy doing other things!!!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Eh, brown is the new green. We are in a drought ya know!

But on more related topics the truck looks RAD! Excited you are getting closer!!!!
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I have been in the same boat with the trail. I need to widen it and make the fenders drive over able. I have had a couple trucks in Baja I had to pull one fender to get the trucks on.

The truck is looking good.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

She's looking great!!
squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

I took the truck to have the glass installed, something I've been worried about since the cage was built. That was a long time ago, if you're just joining in. Luckily I took it to a pro, because it was tough. The cage tubes and plating get so close, there's almost no room for the rubber. He ordered a different style of rubber and used every trick in the book. It took 3 guys about 2.5 hours to get the 2 pieces of glass in. I was relieved when it was done, as well as late to pick up the kids.

If anyone needs something done like custom glass for a stretched bronco, check this guy out. He came highly recommended, and really came through.
All Glass and Upholstery, in Long Beach west of the 710.
squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

I also got some stuff back from anodizing, this served no purpose but eye candy. I was bummed about the mismatched hubs, so I stripped the Autofab hubs and faced the engraving off of the rears. Then polished everything and sent it to anodize. I threw a few more parts in, as well. Growing up an 80's BMX kid, I love me some anodized aluminum.

I even got the fill cap on the rear end, but I didn't feel it was worth crawling under for a pic. Trust me though, it looks cool. lol.....
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

Wow it all looks great! Tell me about the glass in the doors, did you install the roll up windows or did they do that? I'm not looking forward to that part of assembly.
squirelmurphy

Post by squirelmurphy »

I did the side glass myself. Like you, I wasn't looking forward to it, but it's pretty easy. I put new rubber in the windwings as well, so I had them apart also. There's not much to it. It's nice to be able to have the cab sealed and secure, suck it buggy guys.

I need to get after my dash now.
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

The shape of your air filter tells me your engine is set back a few inches...right?
Good job. I look forward to you handing me a cold beer out of that ice chest in the back one day in Mexico!
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

squirelmurphy wrote:The valve covers are from Blue Thunder. I've always loved those, so I had to have a set. They're heavy cast aluminum, so they look great next to the intake. They're also huge, which is a plus. Image
I love the engine cage design. Sooooo clean!
squirelmurphy

Post by squirelmurphy »

Thanks for the kind words. I'll fink in the blanks.

The engine is in the stock location. The air cleaner was needed to clear the tube and upper motor mount. When it was built and mocked up we used the stock motor. The stock intake is much lower, and truthfully, I don't think it ever had a carb on it. It looked like there was plenty of room and I don't think it really got checked. Once the motor was in and I went to put the 14" round air cleaner on, I realized I had a problem. I thought I was going to have to build an air cleaner setup, but went this way instead. Which brings me to the engine cage...

I like the how the engine cage design turned out. The truck is super stiff at the cowl area and I love the look of it. The only downside that I have found, there isn't as much room to mount things as there is on a more traditional style design. I was worried about having to build a UMP style air cleaner setup and have no where to mount things.
The upside is it's very easy to install the motor.
keenanduran1
Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco. 1992 F150

Post by keenanduran1 »

This is absolutely beautiful...
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

I've never seen an upper motor mount set up. Where does it come off the engine?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

They typically pick up the 2 upper holes of the bellhousing attachment to the motor.
Baja
Bronco Info: 95, 5.8, E4OD, 4:88s Front: 4.5 C&T, 2.5 C/O Rear: Deavers Shackles 3.0 bypass All Threat

Post by Baja »

I can't remember where, but I saw this beast on a flat bed a couple weeks ago. I can't remember where I was now, but I think you were turning into a neighborhood. I was in my Bronco as I drove by, stretching my neck out of the window lol. Looked awesome.
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:They typically pick up the 2 upper holes of the bellhousing attachment to the motor.
I have a few ideas for why it's done but can you tell me why anyway?
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Looking great!