The F-Bomb

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: The F-Bomb

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Poor supercab!

Mike - you mind saving your ash tray & lighter for me when you cut them out? I'm adding some extras on mine & have already used the ones out of the spare dash we've bounced back & forth. I did have the section you cut so I coulda given you that had I known. Oh well.

On a side note - did you happen to see any bumpside trucks or older E series in there? I need to get some push button handles off one or the other so as to convert my crew doors.
squirelmurphy
Bronco Info: No broncos, but I have a 73 f100 with a big block. Does that count?

Post by squirelmurphy »

No, there was about 3 dentsides. I didn't look for early style vans, but I noticed there wasn't any late model vans. I was in and out pretty quick. This supercab must have been fresh, it hadn't been completely stripped. There's a nice set of beams under it. If anybody goes and gets them, I'll take the spindles if you don't want them!

I'll set that stuff aside for you, Steve. I'm planning an A/C vent right there. I don't have any other place to put it, and the ashtray is right in front of the console anyhow.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Thanks Mike. I'm tempted to go cut the fuel doors out of the supercab but too lazy to go up just for that. If there was other stuff there I needed I'd get out there.
sokoloka
Bronco Info: 1970 F250 Reg Cab Short Bed

Post by sokoloka »

Amazing looking truck! I might have missed this - but what is the sizing on wheels / tires?
Looking forward to seeing this one done.
squirelmurphy
Bronco Info: No broncos, but I have a 73 f100 with a big block. Does that count?

Post by squirelmurphy »

35x12.5x15 on 8" wheels.

I'm currently waiting on my steering box. I sent it back to Howe for internal stops. Unfortunately, they're really busy this time of year, so it's been a while. I should have it soon, though. Waiting to get that back in before stabbing the motor in.
squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

I got my steering box back from Howe, they do really nice work. I sent them a brand new box, basically. It had been on the truck, but never driven. They still repainted it and detailed it to the point of being brand new all over again. Now it's special, it has custom stops for my trucks steering.

The steering basically done at this point, I'm getting ready to put the motor in. Autofab motor mounts and custom trans and mid mounts. The triangular mount catches the top two bolts on the bell housing. I also sealed up my oil pan. I really hope it fits, it never got test fitted, fingers crossed. Image
squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

Oil pan pic didn't post, take 2:
Nothing stopping me from putting it in now.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

That is a big pan! Hopefully it fits! If not though, it's just steel. Nothing a little cutting, welding & re-plating can't fix!
squirelmurphy

Post by squirelmurphy »

Its for a Mustang/Cobra road car?? It looks big from that angle.
squirelmurphy

Post by squirelmurphy »

Turns out, I won't be using that oil pan, back to the stocker. I'll still run the windage tray. I wanted the baffling and extra capacity, but I can't have it all. It's not worth cutting this pan up right now. I'll stick it back on the shelf.

Have you ever had a setback that just kind of ruins your whole day? I'm having one of those days.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Hold on Steve-- there isn't anyway to mod the crossmember? Why cant that be cut, plated and rewelded? If don't right you shouldn't have any strength issues at all I wouldn't think???
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Mike - call me. Got a milodon pan I had grabbed sitting here. I'll have to dig it out of the rafters in "the hoard" but it's not going on anything for a looong while & you're more than welcome to try it & we can work something out if you can use it.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

And yes the crossmember could be cut, plated & re-welded as could the pan. Just not something Mike is wanting to go after at this point it seems.
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

That whole pan issue is a biatch...ask my how I know. I had to cut the whole pass side of the big pan off. That was after stabing the engine and trans for the third time.
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

You may need to shim the block up a little by putting washers or some material between the engine mount and the block to just jack it up a hair.
squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

I don't know what I was thinking when I got that pan. It's not worth the trouble at this point. Thanks for the input, but I'm taking the easy way out at this point.

The nice windage tray fit under the stock pan, which I KNOW fits, so that went into service. I will still have plenty of oil in the motor between dual filters, cooler and lines.

So here it is, back in black.
squirelmurphy

The F-Bomb

Post by squirelmurphy »

So, I had a pretty good day. I got my intake bolted on, and my pushrods in. On FE motors, the pushrods run through the intake manifold. I had also left them out so there wasn't any pressure on the valve springs. Once I was able to hang the motor on the cherry picker, I bolted the flexplate up.
Next, I bolted the trans to the motor and swung it in there.

It went in pretty easy. Autofab mounts, custom top and trans mounts. I was happy to find out that the passenger side header fit. I wasn't too surprised that the drivers side didn't. I'm looking forward to finding out what else doesn't fit.
Turf Tamer
Bronco Info: 1990 F-150 396 stroker w/camper shell. Its got KING's bra!!!

Post by Turf Tamer »

Coming along nicely.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Looking good!!
Quailhunter

Post by Quailhunter »

Mike, I really Like those valve covers, are they over the counter or something special you had made up?
Now that engine is in it's fun clean assembly work....looks great!